M18 REDLITHIUM XC or High Capacity

regopit

From what I read, Milwaukee has redesigned the M12/M18.. Or more accurately, they have found better lithium cells. The older style is the 1.5Ah & 3.0Ah. The new style is the 2.0Ah & 4.0Ah.

I don't know if the battery chemistry changed between revisions but chemistry doesn't really matter much (in order to keep it simple) What you need to look for is the Ah ratting. The more Amp hours, the longer your tool can operate between charges. I will note however, the Amp-Hour method to measure a battery is flawed. Ah = current flow in amperes (I) * time in hours of discharge (t) or Ah=I*t. So without knowing the time of discharge (t), Amp-Hour is worthless.

All lithium battery packs are made up of a bunch of small lithium cells (small batteries) connected together. The new 2.0 & 4.0 batteries supposedly have better cells, although OEM Milwaukee has never let me down, when it comes time to buy a new battery, I'll be buying the new 4.0Ah

I would recommend getting the new 4.0 xc packs. And forget about paying full price for the xc 4.0 packs at hd or so. Don't get cheated paying full price. A quick search over at eBay and you can get 2x 4.0 packs for as low as $128. The seller for that price is 1_great_shop and I've bought tools from them before no problems.

I would recommend getting the new 4.0 xc packs. And forget about paying full price for the xc 4.0 packs at hd or so. Don't get cheated paying full price. A quick search over at eBay and you can get 2x 4.0 packs for as low as $128. The seller for that price is 1_great_shop and I've bought tools from them before no problems.

Thanks

I had just gotten the m18 XC 3.0 packs with my new M18 set, they last along time but i drill 40 to 50 1 1/2 holes  through 3" beams every day, so I use the 4.0 packs and they last me around 30 or so holes. and a good way to find cheap packs would be ebay or amazon. Ive found a listing of 4  4.0 packs on ebay for $200. 

Some tools will only accept XC packs. The compacts have a small restriction device that will not allow them to be used on some of the more power hungry tools like the Sawzall and circ saw. That may not be an issue for you, and they may have changed this restriction on the Fuel, but I thought I'd mention it.

Some tools will only accept XC packs. The compacts have a small restriction device that will not allow them to be used on some of the more power hungry tools like the Sawzall and circ saw. That may not be an issue for you, and they may have changed this restriction on the Fuel, but I thought I'd mention it.

i have the XC packs as well as the XC 4.0. the XC works on both saws.

Xc, xc red lithium, and xc red lithium 4.0 are all the same form factor and are essentially the same battery pack EXCEPT for the amount of juice they hold. The battery restriction that conductor was talking about where only some tools only accept xc packs applies to all xc packs since they all are the same form factor.