Ryobi Drill Press DP103L Help.

WackyCanadian

Hello everyone, I bought this drill press a couple of years back and like it but can't seem to figure out how to loosen bet to change the speed of the drill. The instructions are very veg. Does anyone know how to adjust the belt? Any help would be grateful!

Thank you!

image.thumb.jpeg.41e54026ff3cbec56d120bf87b7d544f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.edc29b8ceb9596602be82e878768e979.jpeg

• WackyCanadian changed the title to Ryobi Drill Press DP103L Help.

Welcome to the forum.

That looks identical to my Porter Cable drill press. On mine, on the right side, there is a hand knob to tighten / loosen the clamp on a shaft holding the motor at the selected pivot point.

That is described in Page 13 of the Owner's Manual and shown on Page 49.

It may be possible to set-and-forget that adjustment and just increment the belt to the next position while rotating the spindle.

51378098304_af1d0f7974_c.jpg

51376594952_287fcef37a_c.jpg

Thank you for replying. When loosening the red bolt the motor does not move to loosen belt. Just a piss poor design. So I'm stuck using one speed. I went to Home Depot where I bought it and ask the sales guy if he knew how to adjust belt. He had no idea. Just figures, you sell it but have no knowledge on how to help the customers who use it. If anyone else has any ideas how to loosen belt I'd be grateful

Cheers!

1 hour ago, wingless said:

According to Page 13, if the motor doesn't move, then loosen the pivot bolts ¼ turn.

Has that been tried yet?

Not yet. The bolts that I see only pivot left or right, not forwards and back. In order for belt to loosen I would think the belt would have to move forwards to loosen.

IMG_0323.jpeg

IMG_0324.jpeg

The hand knob in the second image is loosened to permit the motor to arc towards the front to loosen the belt.

The motor pivots on that arc on the two vertical bolts in the first image.

If the motor doesn't move, then loosen those bolts ¼ turn.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 6:24 PM, wingless said:

The hand knob in the second image is loosened to permit the motor to arc towards the front to loosen the belt.

The motor pivots on that arc on the two vertical bolts in the first image.

If the motor doesn't move, then loosen those bolts ¼ turn.

Update: I have figured out changing belt speeds by what was suggested. Thank you all!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...