Air impact recommendations

NicholasShetley

As you guys may or may not know I am going to tech school to be an auto mechanic and I have been accepted into the program. I need a good air impact (1/2 drive) for day in day out use. I am currently thinking about getting an ingersoll rand 2135 impact because my dad has one that he uses at his work (bus mechanic for the school) and it has been problem free until recently, considering he bought it when they came out with it, that isn't too bad (he broke the anvil where the hammering mech hits). I was wondering if you guys had any other good recommendations. I will be getting 50% off of snap on, Mac, Matco, ect.

How is the chuck on it? Do round drill bits slip when drilling steel or do you know? That is what I will be using mine for.

I had to drill out a bolt that i broke on my exhaust down pipe flange. I was using Milwaukee Black oxide drill bits, and started at i believe 5/32 and just worked my way up to 1/2in no problem. No slipping, the bits could have been sharper but the drill performed flawlessly. It has ratcheting chuck and imo it gripes pretty good, just as much as the jacobs chuck on the dewalt.

Ok I was curious because I have a craftsman c3 drill that I use now and it will slip with an 1/8 inch bit unless you go as fast as possible. I bought the 29 piece set of dewalt pilot point bits and they work excellent on metal but for wood they will cause splintering on the exit hole but for rough stuff they work great. Give them a try and maybe do your own tool fight comparing them to the milwaukee bits.

At 50% off you can actually get the Mac version of the Proto J150WP cheaper and it comes with the protective boot, plus you'd have a warranty service option of the truck or the Dewalt service center. AWP050 is the Mac model #. You can check it out on the Mac website. You'd be looking at $225 and much easier service than with an IR. It's more gun than anything on the Snap-On truck.

You probably know this Nick, but I know a lot of techs and I will offer you this advice:

Do not go and drop a ton of money on a truck brand box. Yes, they are nice, but you can get very good boxes for way less money. Montezuma, Extreme, and even HF. A box will get you in the hole quick and it'll take forever to get out.

Take advantage of the 50% discount to buy your staple items. A set of Snap-On dual 80's are highly recommended, Flank Drive+ combo wrenches, and sockets are some of the SO items worth looking at. It's best to buy what you can while you've got the discount, because after it's gone, the trucks will get in you picket quick.

Shop around. Even with the discount you may be able to get Proto, Blackhawk, wright, or Armstrong, sockets for less and they are just as good. You won't be warrantying a lot of sockets, so it makes little sense to go the truck route IMO.

For pliers, I'd buy Channellock. They are WAY cheaper and will last forever.

Screwdrivers......with the discount I'd go Snap-On or Mac if you have the discount. Mac has a new driver out also being sold under the Proto label that are supposed to be awesome. I'm supposed to get a batch in the next week or. 2, so I'll let you know. You don't need a 100 piece set. Start with an 8 or 10 piece set and buy additionals as/if needed.

Also, the Proto Anti-Vibe hammers I reviewed at also sold as Mac. They are awesome.

I loath tool trucks, but with the student discount you can come out ahead. Like I said though, some things are worth getting off the truck, and some things aren't. Shop around.

I don't even care for snap on tools as a whole. My uncle has some and they don't seem any better than mine. He has blown the head out of his ratchet numerous times. I have a couple of napa ones. One of the old brand one of the new 100 tooth ones and I love it. I already have a craftsman box and will never get one off of a truck. One of my friends brothers has over 20 grand that he owes to the trucks. My dad absolutely hates truck brands, he uses either craftsman or the older napa hand tools where he works.

I really like the Usa made williams era Kobalt and Williams stuff, also like the Sk wayne era, i think using vintage or older tools as your front line ratchet or wrench is bragging point to other people with there brand new fancy snap-on, Hell i use the b-52 that Conductor sent me as my go to 1/2in, and its over 50 years old!!!!! I cant wait till my grandfather gives me some of his stuff!! when i start finishing out my socket collection for my shop tool box, i usually always watch ebay, I also like the wera drivers that conductor did a review of. Channel lock for pliers, but i recommend getting a a pair of the Iwrin Quick grips, they are my most used tool, i recommend them to anybody, they are real quick to adjust, the handles are very comfortable, its not USA made, but i guarantee you its the closest thing to it, its really solid.