Dewalt 20v Brushless Premium Hammer Drill DCD995M2 Review

Javier

I bet you guys would be interested in taking a look at the new brushless 3 speed heavy duty hammer drill by dewalt. Check out the video to see something interesting about it

When I get a chance I plan on doing a head to head video of this dewalt drill vs the milwaukee fuel

I hardly know anything on festool or metabo products. All I know is when this drill clutches out it's completely different than traditional drill clutches. At first I thought it was broken but then realized it's some sort of electronic feature. It's pretty cool actually as it shuts off the motor when it hits the desired torque.

Confirmed, it is indeed an electronic clutch. The manual says

"Torque Adjustment Collar/ Electronic Clutch (Fig. 3-5)"

"Your tool has an electronic adjustable torque screwdriver system for driving and removing a wide range of fasteners."

It would have been cool if they ditched the normal clutch Collar and used a dial. That probably would have helped some more to reduce the length.

Confirmed, it is indeed an electronic clutch. The manual says

"Torque Adjustment Collar/ Electronic Clutch (Fig. 3-5)"

"Your tool has an electronic adjustable torque screwdriver system for driving and removing a wide range of fasteners."

It would have been cool if they ditched the normal clutch Collar and used a dial. That probably would have helped some more to reduce the length.

They also might have been able to include a screw drive to drill switch then possibly. I think they didn't want to change how things worked though its like driving imagine the craziness if the brake and accelerator pedals were switched all of a sudden. Dewalt isn't going to shake things up too much right away.

I see your point and it makes sense. I could imagine if they did include a dial we would hear a bunch of old timers complaining about how it doesn't work when all they had to do was figure it out. I'm all about new tech and am willing to accept change if it makes something better or simplifies things. But your probably right about people not being ready for this

Like windows 8. There are so many people complaining about it because supposedly it's so different. All because MS ditched the start button.

Dewalt isn't a brand that is going to take crazy risks. Except of that crazy wall scanner they tried to sell. I really wish I had got one just to see how badly it misread things. I heard it different with every pass you made. It would have been great to have if it worked. If I didn't have the Paslode cordless framer I would get the Dewalt Cordless framer just because you don't have to deal with fuel cells.

I wonder if a lot of people would want a 3 speed Milwaukee drill. I know the 3 speed is a huge selling point for the premium dewalt drills but for my uses its not necessary. Not saying it's useless, even I can think of a few for the extra gear but for most of my uses I can get by with a 2 speed just fine.

I think you would really only find it beneficial if your trade involved repetitive use of a certain large size hole. A 19mm auger bit for instance might be fine in the 2nd speed Dewalt, but require 1st speed in all the others.

I think you would really only find it beneficial if your trade involved repetitive use of a certain large size hole. A 19mm auger bit for instance might be fine in the 2nd speed Dewalt, but require 1st speed in all the others.

Thats where I find it most useful, the Milwaukee fuel requires 1st gear to run 3/4" and 1" augers I typically use (coworker has one).  Meanwhile im running circles around him in 2nd gear on my dewalt.  

Is the speed difference between the dcd995 and the milwaukee m18 fuel noticeable when being held side by side? The specs show that the dewalt should be faster but would like to hear from people who have actually used both. I work in the RV industry and drill a lot of holes in thick steel so speed would be a selling point for me. I'm currently using a hitachi dv18dl and it has been an excellent drill for the last 4 plus years for thick steel drilling. Please give me any good or bad input. I've got the itch to upgrade and have narrowed it down between the dewalt and milwaukee. Thanks!!.

I haven't started any side by side tests yet. Been having too much problems with my camera and other things. Anyways I'll put the two side by side and run them on their highest speed and tell you if the dewalt is noticeably faster.

All i can say is that when I had the dcd985 I didn't notice any difference on high speed but that's the older drill. Not sure if 150rpm is noticeable but I'll check it out later

I haven't started any side by side tests yet. Been having too much problems with my camera and other things. Anyways I'll put the two side by side and run them on their highest speed and tell you if the dewalt is noticeably faster.

All i can say is that when I had the dcd985 I didn't notice any difference on high speed but that's the older drill. Not sure if 150rpm is noticeable but I'll check it out later

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing what you say.