Work in Progress (My Garage/Shop)

fm2176

So, after a rather adventurous move late last month, we finally got back down to the house I left over ten years ago.  Between getting the kids in school, handling day to day stuff. And the weather (a heavy rain and/or severe thunderstorm almost daily), I still have to finish unpacking and begin my garage organization.  Attached is a photo of what I'm working with.

There are actually two built-in garages, a 20'x20' and a 10'x20'.  The larger one hasn't had a door on it since I bought the house.  The previous homeowner had issues with the full width door getting damaged by heavy winds so he finally decided to use it more like a carport.  The smaller garage on the right has a door but I removed the inoperable opener shortly after moving in.

Ultimately I hope to have a 30'x40' steel building erected but short term I plan to enclose the double garage.  I'm debating adding a smaller roll up door but am definitely adding an entry door.  Even shorter term, I need to clean out the 10'x20' and convert it to my interim workshop.  This way I can secure my tools and maybe run a window unit ac while tinkering around.  

Right now the larger space on the left is still full of stuff unloaded from the U-Haul, while the one on the right is pretty much a time capsule.  Stuff I stored in it ten years ago is still boxed up, to include old toys from my now adult kids, Army promotional items, video game consoles from the Atari 2600 to the PS2, and a rather impressive collection of Playboy magazines that will be either sold or burned.  In mint condition, some full year sets sell for upwards of $100, and someone is asking almost $1000 for the issue with the 1990 Trump interview.  Unfortunately, most of my magazines are probably mildewed or otherwise damaged.

Anyway, I hope to share more pictures as the shop comes along.  I'm not sure how much if anything will be done today, however, as it's already raining.  South Louisiana at its finest!

20220823_083003.jpg

17 hours ago, fm2176 said:

So, after a rather adventurous move late last month, we finally got back down to the house I left over ten years ago.  Between getting the kids in school, handling day to day stuff. And the weather (a heavy rain and/or severe thunderstorm almost daily), I still have to finish unpacking and begin my garage organization.  Attached is a photo of what I'm working with.

There are actually two built-in garages, a 20'x20' and a 10'x20'.  The larger one hasn't had a door on it since I bought the house.  The previous homeowner had issues with the full width door getting damaged by heavy winds so he finally decided to use it more like a carport.  The smaller garage on the right has a door but I removed the inoperable opener shortly after moving in.

Ultimately I hope to have a 30'x40' steel building erected but short term I plan to enclose the double garage.  I'm debating adding a smaller roll up door but am definitely adding an entry door.  Even shorter term, I need to clean out the 10'x20' and convert it to my interim workshop.  This way I can secure my tools and maybe run a window unit ac while tinkering around.  

Right now the larger space on the left is still full of stuff unloaded from the U-Haul, while the one on the right is pretty much a time capsule.  Stuff I stored in it ten years ago is still boxed up, to include old toys from my now adult kids, Army promotional items, video game consoles from the Atari 2600 to the PS2, and a rather impressive collection of Playboy magazines that will be either sold or burned.  In mint condition, some full year sets sell for upwards of $100, and someone is asking almost $1000 for the issue with the 1990 Trump interview.  Unfortunately, most of my magazines are probably mildewed or otherwise damaged.

Anyway, I hope to share more pictures as the shop comes along.  I'm not sure how much if anything will be done today, however, as it's already raining.  South Louisiana at its finest!

20220823_083003.jpg

I have a minimalistic personality, if I don't use anything for two-three years I throw them away or give to someone who can use it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Altan said:

I have a minimalistic personality, if I don't use anything for two-three years I throw them away or give to someone who can use it.

I guess you could say I have the opposite issue.  Over the years I've given a lot away, sold and traded a few items, and lost stuff through theft, especially the burglary that took place in 2012-2013.  Having been active duty Army over the past 21 years, I have what are essentially time capsules, left in my last four locations.

Here at the house is the stuff in the right garage, along with one of the two walk in closets in the master bedroom.  What's left of my pre- and early military stuff is mostly there.  In Coastal Georgia I have two small storage units (I think, I keep forgetting to send the check...) containing mechanic's tools, a lot of stuff from my time at Fort Stewart and in Afghanistan, and building materials from a shed I built and then tore down before deploying.  In Southwest Georgia is a larger unit containing mostly military gear and various resale items like ladders I picked up for over 75% off.  In Virginia I have my trailer at a friend's house and some tools in the flipper home.  Truth be told, I could lose half of the stuff I have outside of this property and not worry too much.  

My old joke was that guns, tools, and ice chests were all the personal property I moved around as I was relocated.  Well, it's a start: I left almost all of my nice chests at the house in Virginia.  I'll probably downsize my tools at some point, but the guns are going in Lake Ponchartrain.

14 minutes ago, Eric - TIA said:

Your garage looked like my garage for the last 4 years.  I finally cleaned it up and was able to walk around for two days.  I only have a single car garage.  Now I have stuff back in there.  I just want my shop back but can never seem to get it.

I know what you're saying, which is why I need to eventually build a shop.  I think most of us are guilty of excessive clutter or lack of organization.  My neighbor has a large three bay building which is kind of organized but still requires maneuvering to get around in.  He built 25 years ago for his RV and bass boat and has since built a storage port for the Class A motorhome he upgraded to,as well as a carport.  In recent years he walled in a workspace which he keeps clean and well organized, showing that sometimes it isn't space we need to work on things, but rather a lack of space.

One thing I need to do is buy the materials to start building organization for the small garage.  Ideally I can incorporate my modular boxes and also maximize the ability to work.  I need to come up with a good layout to mount the drill press, band saw, sander, router table, and a vise or two, along with the bedt place to put my dust extractor.  I'll also likely bolt down one of the 20v Max miter saws.  The FlexVolt miter and table saws are both on rolling stands and probably best used in a more open environment anyway.  

• Like 1

In the garage today.  Some of the magazines may be worth selling after all, and I found 1990 Trump issue but the back few pages are torn at the binding.  That's a shame since I could probably sell it for a premium.  Anti-Trumpers would probably love to burn it alongside an effigy and MAGA types would likely place it in their shrine.😉

I think I'll burn what remains of the furniture.  Cheap pressed wood coffee table, decent for its time but now obsolete TV stand with DVD storage, etc.  Rats moved in at some point but I haven't seen anything besides evidence of nesting.  A few bags of clothing will be sorted and what isn't worth keeping or donating will be burned. 

And...as I type this in the bathroom (where else?) I hear a sudden downpour outside.  There goes any chance of starting the fire.  To be honest, though, I need to saturate the burn pile with a gallon or so of diesel anyway.  We tried starting it with gasoline and cardboard a week or two ago but there's too much wet and green wood. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Well, some progress has been made.  To be honest I've been caught up with the kids' school activities and job seeking.  I did finally get my first civilian job in over 20 years, working in a gun vault at a major outdoor retailer.  It seems like it may be decent, I report directly to the General Manager and will primarily be responsible for making sure paperwork and accountability are in order.  Other employees usually work the gun counter.

My biggest holdup with the shop at the moment is storage and bench space.  I've got all those modular boxes but want to build a tool wall similar to those some YouTubers have.  Something where I can grab what I need without digging through boxes or shelves.  

I also found out the reason that my band saw was on clearance for $79 five years ago: it has a bent base.  Just one corner is a bit bent, so once I bolt it down there shouldn't be any issues.  It's also missing the locking bolts for the table, but M8-25 bolts should be easy enough to source without paying almost $7 apiece for the Ryobi ones.  This same saw is now $199, I'm pretty certain it was only $129 in 2017.

Another thing I need to do is organize my hardware.  The clear bags in the bottom picture contain maybe 5% of what I need to organize, so there's no way it's all fitting in the blue parts bin.

20221010_184344.thumb.jpg.007dda5700156702894e15782448a995.jpg20221010_184407.thumb.jpg.76d9ac943654371a197cdd912966bfb4.jpg20221010_184333.thumb.jpg.17b5b4ec70ff7cf71d642e9b33f40bd6.jpg

On 10/11/2022 at 8:15 AM, Eric - TIA said:

Looking good so far compared to the first picture.  Making a dent.

Gradually...  It's amazing how adaptive I am, easily able to go full speed and equally able to just sit around doing nothing.  Since starting retirement leave I've been mostly procrastinating, but my new job should liven things up a bit.  I'll get to handle every new firearm that the retailer receives, and depending on my disability rating I'm considering a $300-$1000 a month budget for new firearms.  And tools, but I need to organize what I have first.  I "think" my wife blessed off on me having a firearms budget when she told me I can save for a year instead of buying monthly, and I responded that I can buy a $12k gun instead of a bunch of cheaper ones.  😅 

18 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

I hear you on going from 0-100, I am the same way.  That's a nice budget for guns.  You can get some nice stuff.  Not sure what your new job it but sounds like it's a good gig with being able to see them first hand as they come

Well I just received the background check, so I should be getting a call to schedule orientation.  The job is mostly ensuring that paperwork is in order and that guns are accounted for.  As a long time gun owner I know that the ATF isn't an agency to mess around with, and my position is basically the "keeper of the FFL".  Meaning, we report directly to the store manager who's responsible for the store's firearms license.  There are checks and balances to ensure that gun sales fully comply with federal and state laws before a purchase is completed, but at the end of the day I'll be inputting receipts and paperwork for all sales, ensuring the serial numbers match up, and reviewing 4473s and state background check paperwork.  One other thing I was told I may be called upon to do on occasion is deal with customers who are denied a sale.  If a manager isn't around, the counter sales person might call back to me to talk to the customer.  I think that my Army experience will help: I can turn on Recruiter or Drill Sergeant mode as needed.  Also, my knowledge of gun laws and understanding of NICS should help convey the point that no gun seller is going to disapprove a legal sale.  Also, I like to think I'll be able to prevent possible straw purchases in some situations, which is one of the few times I've seen a dealer refuse a sale.  

All told, it seems like a job that will hold my interest for the foreseeable future.  

• 2 weeks later...

Going well so far.  Been here a week and a half and catching on quick.  My job is far more complex than selling guns, though I've made a few sales.  Basically, guns come in and I pick them up from Receiving and acquire them in the system.  I ship guns to other stores if a customer buys one, for example a gentleman from Las Vegas wanted to buy a handgun that costs much less here than it does at his local store.  He paid here and will receive a call when the Las Vegas location gets it, where he'll do his background check.  Once a gun leaves the store, I complete the necessary logs and dispose of it in our system, after which Asset Protection or a Senior Manager inspects the paperwork.

Once I'm deemed fully trained, I'll likely not make any sales requiring a background check.  We use a three check system: there's the mandatory initial and second check in order to submit the ATF Form 4473, and I'll be one of the few authorized to conduct a final check before sending the customer on their way.

As for the shop, it's going, just not very quickly...🙃