need to find 18 volt ni cd battery packs or an adapter for porter cable battery to harbor freight tool

corvairbob

i have the harbor freight 18 volt power tools and for years you could get the 18 volt ni cd battery pack and now they have seemed to just vanish.  so i went to ebay to see if i could find any sellers selling them and not much but for used packs.

so anyway i see tons of sellers welling the porter cable type battery packs in the 18 volt ni cd battery pack so i get one and it turned out to be a ni mi battery. so i ask all the listings that say ni cd and then they all reply back telling me they are ni mh batteries.  so i get a charger and build an adapter for the ni mh battery in a harbor freight case to charge and it just is not charging well. it may be the charger or the adapter i made that is not working.

so now what i think i may try if i can find an adapter that will let me charge the porter cable battery in the porter cable charger and then use that porter cable battery in the harbor freight tools. so can then start getting the ebay batteries and 3 adapters and be able to at least get more life out of these still good tools. 

so cna any direct me to a place that has the adapters that will fit into the harbor freight tool and be able to use the porter cable batteries? thanks for any help

Here is a site that sells adapters https://powertoolsadapters.com/

I know the tools still work, but considering the cost and investment in new batteries. Depending on the amount of tools you have it might be a better investment to look into buying something new to replace them. It is wasteful and full on consumerism, but it might make the best financial sense.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 10:57 AM, DR99 said:

Here is a site that sells adapters https://powertoolsadapters.com/

I know the tools still work, but considering the cost and investment in new batteries. Depending on the amount of tools you have it might be a better investment to look into buying something new to replace them. It is wasteful and full on consumerism, but it might make the best financial sense.

Seconded.  For better or worse, cordless tools are essentially throw away items after they stop being supported by their manufacturer and/or seller.  Ni-cad tools have become mostly obsolete and are vastly outperformed by newer Li-ion platforms.  Earlier Li-ion tools like DeWalt or Porter Cable 18v, which were basically Ni-cad tools with new batteries and chargers, are also relative dinosaurs.

A new drill with two batteries costs around $100 during the holiday season.  I was at Home Depot yesterday and was tempted to get another kit.  For a little more you can get a Ryobi 4-piece combo, and for under $500 you can usually get a decent DeWalt, Milwaukee, or Makita 4-piece kit including a saw.  By comparison, an adapter might cost $30, questionable aftermarket or rebuilt batteries might be $30 each, and a proper charger could add another $30.  All for outdated technology on tools that were never designed to last a lifetime.

DR99's link might have what you need if you decide to keep your tools running.  If so, hopefully they continue to serve you well over the years.  

• Thanks 1