DeWalt 12v Drill and Impact Driver Battery Question

JIMMIEM

I have a DeWalt 12v Drill and Impact Driver that currently use NiCad batteries  (DC9071).  I have had these for a while and rebuilt the battery packs several years ago.  I bought the rebuild NiCads from Spring Grove Battery which seems to be out of business so I have been checking the .net for replacements.  One option is to go to Lithium Ion.  Not sure if this is a recommended conversion.  The other option is NiMh which is an easy replacement.  My charger (DW9116) should, according to the Internet, charge both NiCad and NiMh batteries.

Good source for NiCads?  What Amp Hours?  If NiMh is a good replacement what is a good source and what Amp Hours?  I just use these tools for DIY projects.  I have corded drills for heavy duty work.

Thank You.  

On 12/15/2022 at 10:06 AM, JIMMIEM said:

I have a DeWalt 12v Drill and Impact Driver that currently use NiCad batteries  (DC9071).  I have had these for a while and rebuilt the battery packs several years ago.  I bought the rebuild NiCads from Spring Grove Battery which seems to be out of business so I have been checking the .net for replacements.  One option is to go to Lithium Ion.  Not sure if this is a recommended conversion.  The other option is NiMh which is an easy replacement.  My charger (DW9116) should, according to the Internet, charge both NiCad and NiMh batteries.

Good source for NiCads?  What Amp Hours?  If NiMh is a good replacement what is a good source and what Amp Hours?  I just use these tools for DIY projects.  I have corded drills for heavy duty work.

Thank You.  

I would consider the price to replace the batteries. If you're talking a price that is not far away from a new drill/impact kit you might as well get the newer tools. I had a DeWALT cordless multitool that had a problem. To fix the tool was more expensive than buying brand new replacement.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 12:30 PM, Jronman said:

I would consider the price to replace the batteries. If you're talking a price that is not far away from a new drill/impact kit you might as well get the newer tools. I had a DeWALT cordless multitool that had a problem. To fix the tool was more expensive than buying brand new replacement.

Seconded.  As nice as it would be to continue using our tried and true tools, older cordless tools usually aren't worth the expense and hassle of keeping on the tool bench.  Nickel-cadmium and nickel-metal hydride batteries have been replaced by lithium-ion for a number of reasons, and modern brushless stuff like the DeWalt 12v Max Xtreme line makes even their older 12v Max stuff look archaic.  I bought my Xtreme drill with a reciprocating saw, two batteries, and charger in a DeWalt backpack for about $129 a year or two ago.  Rebuilding or replacing older batteries will probably run at least half of that price.