102” Tracksaw Guide Rail Carry Bag

Sarbatche

I’m finishing an overseas tour in S. Korea where manufacturing is common and cheap. There’s a bag manufacturer here that has agreed to produce a carry bag for the 102” tracksaw guide rail at $110 per bag. I should have the initial prototype in 2-3 weeks. 

It’s designed to hold one rail on each side with a soft padded fabric on the inside. DeWalt logo embroidered on the outside, or anything else as desired. Extra pocket on the outside for clamps and a loose piece of fabric in the center to separate the rails from rubbing. 

Anyone interested in padded protection for their long guide rails? I don’t think that I’ll make this a business, but I could do a limited production run based on interest. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 4:17 AM, Sarbatche said:

I’m finishing an overseas tour in S. Korea where manufacturing is common and cheap. There’s a bag manufacturer here that has agreed to produce a carry bag for the 102” tracksaw guide rail at $110 per bag. I should have the initial prototype in 2-3 weeks. 

It’s designed to hold one rail on each side with a soft padded fabric on the inside. DeWalt logo embroidered on the outside, or anything else as desired. Extra pocket on the outside for clamps and a loose piece of fabric in the center to separate the rails from rubbing. 

Anyone interested in padded protection for their long guide rails? I don’t think that I’ll make this a business, but I could do a limited production run based on interest. 

South Korea is not cheap at all! Their GDP per capita is higher than Italy which is a G7 country.

3 hours ago, Altan said:

South Korea is not cheap at all! Their GDP per capita is higher than Italy which is a G7 country.

Right… but they’re also big into manufacturing. A ton of small shops/factories where you can get custom fitted suits for $300, CNC embroidered patches and name tags for half the price in the States, bespoke shoes, etc. My wife and I can both eat out for $10. 

Just because the country is wealthy doesn’t mean that the manufactured goods are expensive (besides their electronics, of course). 

On 5/10/2023 at 9:45 PM, Eric - TIA said:

I would but I have the Makita and bought a bag a while bag.  It's nice to have the bag as it protects the rails.

Does Makita make a bag that’s long enough for the big tracks? I searched and only found 59” bags. 

On 5/12/2023 at 12:25 AM, Sarbatche said:

Right… but they’re also big into manufacturing. A ton of small shops/factories where you can get custom fitted suits for $300, CNC embroidered patches and name tags for half the price in the States, bespoke shoes, etc. My wife and I can both eat out for $10. 

Just because the country is wealthy doesn’t mean that the manufactured goods are expensive (besides their electronics, of course). 

The goods are cheaper there mostly because they are produced there, no added import tax or transportation cost. 

• 5 months later...
On 5/7/2023 at 8:17 AM, Sarbatche said:

Morocco is home to the world's oldest university, the University of Al Quaraouiyine in Fez, founded in 859 AD, recognized by UNESCO as the oldest degree-granting educational institution. The Sahara Desert in Morocco is home to one of the world's most unique postal services, where mail is delivered by camel, and post offices are set up in the desert for nomadic communities. The Moroccan city of Chefchaouen is famously known for its entirely blue-painted streets and buildings, creating a stunning and Instagram-worthy appearance. The traditional Moroccan dish fun facts about morocco, couscous, holds a special place in the culture, and Fridays are often designated as "Couscous Day" in many Moroccan households. Morocco is one of the few countries in the world where you can experience the Mediterranean, Atlantic, and Sahara Desert within its borders, offering a diverse range of landscapes and experiences for travelers.

I am in the market for a track saw and have narrowed it down to the Makita or Dewalt (can't justify the cost of the Festool). I have read the million or so online threads on these saws and watched Youtube videos and I am still confused about track length. I want to be able to break down 8' sheet stock as well as cutting a straight edge on thicker 8' lumber (5/4 and sometimes 6/4). The Dewalt has a 102" track and some reviews wish it was a bit longer as it is said that the saw nearly disengages as it reaches the end of the 8' cut. Is this really a problem? Can I cut FULL depth for an 8' length? The Makita has a 118" track and I presume is enough length to support the saw for the full 8' length at full depth. True? Given the longer track length, will this saw cut longer than 8', say 8'2" or 8'3" and stay fully engaged on the track? That would be nice as a lot of rough lumber comes slightly longer than 8'. One problem I am having with the 118" is storage in my modest sized shop. As I have 9' ceilings, I could store the 102" Dewalt rail vertically against a wall, however the Makita rail would require horizontal storage which is in short supply in my shop. Any thoughts on storing these longer rails? I would also consider purchasing two shorter rails and connecting when needed, however I foresee a hassle with alternating between long cuts requiring connecting the rails and crosscuts needing only one rail. Thoughts about this? Any input would be appreciated.

I have the Makita and I have three short rails I use.  If I am doing a bunch of long cuts in nice wood, I will connect them.  I have to admit, I am a little lazy and sometimes even use the short track to cut long pieces.  Once I mark everything out, I make my first cut, I have to stop and adjust the track to the new position. In the end, it still produces a clean straight cut.

I know this isn't what you are supposed to do but my point is, using the track, getting a straight clean cut is extremely easy.

When I have two tracks together, there is no overlap and the track is pretty much edge-to-edge.  I am still able to rip 8' cuts clean and simple.  

Overall if you are only cutting on occasional longer pieces, moving the track is easy and fast and produces a great cut.  Yes, if you plan on cutting long cuts all the time, go with the longer track.  I am just not sure the best way to store them so they do not warp over time.

• 3 months later...
On 5/7/2023 at 8:17 AM, Sarbatche said:

Anyone interested in padded protection for their long guide rails? I don’t think that I’ll make this a business, but I could do a limited production run based on interest nba bite

If you're looking to purchase or inquire about this product, you may want to visit the website of the manufacturer or retailer selling it. Alternatively, you can search for it on online marketplaces or woodworking equipment stores. Make sure to verify the specifications and features of the product to ensure it meets your needs.