Weekly Router Bit Releases (or fill in the blank tool product launch). Thoughts?

Jronman

I was recently in the market for a high end router bit and noticed a seemingly unique approach to router bits from Woodpeckers. Woodpeckers under their Ultra Shear branding is releasing a new router bit every Tuesday, and the new bit has a lower price the first week it goes on sale. I thought it is an interesting approach to product launches. What are your guys thoughts? Do you like the idea of a consistent launch of 1 to 2 router bits a week (or fill in the blank tool product launch), or would you prefer big product launches but less frequent and you don't know when they will drop? Part of me says why do they have to impose a seemingly artificial delay of launching router bits but another part of me says every Tuesday I can expect an email advertising the next router bit drop and the fact it has special pricing the first week it is available for sale might make it worth the wait.

I am with you.  As a power tool enthusiast, I like the idea of having something to look forward to every week.  However, as a buyer, I would rather have one large release.  Because I would just want to buy everything at once and not wait for a new router bit (or tool) and then pay shipping etc every week.  It's a cool concept and idea.

5 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

I am with you.  As a power tool enthusiast, I like the idea of having something to look forward to every week.  However, as a buyer, I would rather have one large release.  Because I would just want to buy everything at once and not wait for a new router bit (or tool) and then pay shipping etc every week.  It's a cool concept and idea.

Usually tools get released at unknown dates and I like knowing that a tool is coming today. I might not know what tool but I know one is coming

• Like 1

As a buyer I like big launches as I am obsessed with organising accessories and I want to know how I am going to keep them organised before I buy them, otherwise everything is going to be mixed and I can not find anything quickly.  

The Ultra Shear bit came in and to my surprise it came with a holder that is part of Woodpeckers RackBit system. I don't have the system but since it came with a holder I might have to give it a try. I checked prices and it seems alright. Priced high as expected but not crazy high I guess. Only thing is you can't buy the wall brackets without the bit holders and the bit holders come in one option that fits 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch shanks. for most of my needs that works great but I do have a few router bits that are not either of those sizes. They are 8mm metric shank if I remember correctly. It would be nice to have a holder option that fits the common metric shank size.

14 minutes ago, Jronman said:

The Ultra Shear bit came in and to my surprise it came with a holder that is part of Woodpeckers RackBit system. I don't have the system but since it came with a holder I might have to give it a try. I checked prices and it seems alright. Priced high as expected but not crazy high I guess. Only thing is you can't buy the wall brackets without the bit holders and the bit holders come in one option that fits 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch shanks. for most of my needs that works great but I do have a few router bits that are not either of those sizes. They are 8mm metric shank if I remember correctly. It would be nice to have a holder option that fits the common metric shank size.

1/4" shank router bits in general are more expensive compared to 8mm shank bits, so it is a good idea to get the adapter for that, My DeWALT 1/4" router came with a 1/4" collet and I did buy the 8mm collet separately. 

Just now, Altan said:

1/4" shank router bits in general are more expensive compared to 8mm shank bits, so it is a good idea to get the adapter for that, My DeWALT 1/4" router came with a 1/4" collet and I did buy the 8mm collet separately. 

I'm not much in the know on Metric shank bits. Is there a second Metric size of shank that is common? 1/4 inch is quite common here especially on the smaller routers.

5 minutes ago, Jronman said:

I'm not much in the know on Metric shank bits. Is there a second Metric size of shank that is common? 1/4 inch is quite common here especially on the smaller routers.

I think 10mm and 12mm are the other two metric shank sizes, maybe also 6mm, I am not sure about 6mm though. But If you check the end of FAMAG catalogue you will see 10mm and 12mm shank router bits, in UK and also EU 1/4" bits are available but expensive compared to 8mm ones.