COMPARING RUNTIME'S BETWEEN DEWALT'S 3 CURRENT 18V BATTERIES

kanxrus

HERE IS A SIMPLE RUNTIME TEST TO SEE HOW MANY HOLES PER CHARGE FROM DEWALT'S DC9180 XRP LITHIUM ION, DC9096 XRP NiCd BATTERY, AND THE DC9099 COMPACT NiCd BATTERY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro-RWJXI-eU##

THE DEWALT DC9099 (1.7Ah) DRILLED 88.5 HOLES, OR 52 HOLES PER Ah.

THE DEWALT DC9096 (2.4Ah) DRILLED 121.5 HOLES, OR 52 HOLES PER Ah.

THE DEWALT DC9180 (2.2Ah) DRILLED 124.5 HOLES, OR 56 HOLES PER Ah.

batteries.jpg

• 8 months later...

Did you do a test with the DC9181 18v Lith Battery that comes with the DCD760KL (Standard Battery).  Dewalt doesnt ship a kit with the DC9180...my opinion a mistake but it is heavier (.65lbs more than the DC9181 making the DCD760 4.65lbs and would be more expensive) however would offer a higher Ah runtime.  I wonder if the DC9180 18v Lith Battery also adds more torque?  This was my hang up when comparing the Makita BDF452HW which weights 3.5lbs but is nowhere near the quality but the price, torque, runtime, and weight considered in I believe the Makita is a better value...especially if it takes the DC9180 battery to give the DCD760 the runtime and torque to beat it out. 

JC can you do a head to head with the Dewalt DCD760 using the  DC9180 Battery vs the Makita BDF452HW?  Your standard Torque and hole test.  I think your test tells the real story.  I really love the DCD760 the build quality and speed are second to none but the torque for my job banging out 2" Holes in countertops is my typical use.  The DCD760 is faster but I have not ran a hole saw test between the Makita BDF452HW.  I would be curious to see how well the DCD760 would do with the DC9180 Battery.  Let us know...thanks JC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Heck forget about he Makita, I'd just like to see a comparison between the DC9180 battery vs DC9181 with the DCD760 to see what kind of difference it would make. May help decide what batteries to buy when the time comes for replacements seeing how the charger will do either one of them.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks. This is good to know. I wonder how the 2.2 lasts longer than the 2.4 in the drill test? I was under the impression that more amp hours meant more run time. Perhaps it is because of the specific load that the drill puts on it? Maybe with a different tool that has a higher draw like the DC390 saw the results would be different? And thanks for the great site and great reviews.

wrong

DC9180 and in Europe DE9180 has 2,0Ah

The reason it's 2,0Ah in EU and 2,2 in NA is because of regulations. Batteries are exact same inside. EU has stricter laws regarding advertising specs, that's why 12v/20v MAX won't fly there. From my memory of old european import rules for Bosch, the specs must show nominal values, not maximum values.

The battery is guaranteed to supply certain amount of power at capacity X, after this capacity is depleted the battery will still work but produce less power than the nominal value. So if you use the battery in a cordless circ saw you will mostly likely get 2Ah until the blade starts binding, but in a flashlight you will get 2.2Ah, regardless if it's a UK or NA battery.

By specing it as 2,0 the company is protected from lawsuits for under-performance. I like this, I think such rules should be implemented in NA, so that the tools perform as advertised or better. Unfortunately here they perform ALMOST as advertised or worse. I also think the tool output power should be printed on the tool and officially regulated by PTI, ANSI or some other non-profit. Honest advertising is always good, false advertising hurt everyone. I'm looking at you, Milwaukee.

• 1 month later...

Archived