A LOOK INSIDE THE DEWALT DCB120 12V LITHIUM ION BATTERY

kanxrus

• 5 months later...

Dewalt is currently using three different manufactures for their batteries.

DC9260 36v batteries use A123 Nano Phosphate Lithium batteries.

DC9180 XRP batteries use A123 Nano Phosphate Lithium batteries.

DC9181 Compact batteries use Sony Iron Phosphate Lithium batteries.

DCB120 Compact batteries use Sanyo Lithium Metallic Oxide batteries.

I'm not sure where Sanyo rates their batteries in terms of cycle life, like most oxides on the market I would presume 500-800 recharges. Cycle life varies greatly from one user to the next. It all depends on how you take care of your batteries.

I think I take good care of all my cordless Dewalt machines. Store them inside over night because it is freaking cold here in Sweden during winter and When the battery starts to slow down I recaharge them. Sometimes I let the battery to sitt in the charger over night.

I understand if they use cheaper cells in the DCB120 batterypack because the DCF610 driver is actually not a heavyduty drill/driver like the DCD970 that use the DC9180 pack. However, I think the DCF610 is a wonderfull machine as long as you use it for the kind of work it is designed for wich means light work. I use it almost everyday and so far I´m very happy with it. Before I only had a DCD960 and even if it is a very nice and wellbalanced drill it is  little to big for the very light kind of work like putting up a outlett and things like that.

It will be interesting to see where the market goes, Sanyo has new ZT batteries coming out. Almost twice the m AH rating over the current SAX series used by Dewalt, and the energy density doubles. All in the same size cell.

Milaukee and Ridgid are already using similar technology in the Red-Lithium and Hyper Lithium cells, only made by Samsung.

Specs from Sanyo.

SanyoZT%20.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The possibility of upgrading the cells is very cool in my humble opinion! Double run time in the same or similar sized and weighted battery would absolutely ROCK!!! Very happy with my 12v MAX tools- screwdriver, drill and impact driver (plus free light, thank you DeWALT)!!! They are light weight and work very nicely. Keep up the good work- slide pack 12v was genius!

• 3 weeks later...

Newbie here and I hope someone can answer a question for me.  I notice that all of the 12V li-ion batteries that have been torn apart in the different reviews show (3) 18650 cells.  These cells are 3.6V each for a total of 10.8V.  How can they claim 12V?  The only one that appears to be playing by the rules on this is the Rigid.  It has the same 3 cells and claims 10.8.

Thanks,

Bob

Wow.  I live in a sales/marketing world and I never heard of this.  I guess nobody will drop a dime on the other because they all have the same amount to lose.

Interesting though that Snap-on (my world not yours) does not do this.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/catalog1.asp?tool=all&Cat_ID=121069&Cat_NAME=Power Tools, Cordless&store=snapon-store

See this page if you are interested.

Bob

• 1 month later...

It will be interesting to see where the market goes, Sanyo has new ZT batteries coming out. Almost twice the m AH rating over the current SAX series used by Dewalt, and the energy density doubles. All in the same size cell.

Milaukee and Ridgid are already using similar technology in the Red-Lithium and Hyper Lithium cells, only made by Samsung.

Specs from Sanyo.

SanyoZT%20.jpg

I think the maximum is currently A123System utensils,

for discharge current and life cycles

Sanyo UR18650ZT have the C = 2700mAh for a discharge current of 0.54 A

which reduces to about "" "1800mah for discharge current of 5.4 A " "" "

http://battery.sanyo.com/product/lithum-ion/pdf/01/UR18650ZT.pdf

greetings

i think this is the model # Model: 30041-0. (on the amazon webpage i clicked "See more technical details" and that's where i got the model number) i did a quick google and that led me to this page http://cgi.ebay.com/Li-Ion-SANYO-18650-3-7V-2-8Ah-2800mAh-Cell-30041-0-/330522127829#vi-desc and that page has a .pdf with specs for the battery wich is here http://www.all-battery.com/datasheet/30041-0_UR18650ZT.pdf and i noticed is says ZT there. thanks for the tip.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

is this a ZT battery http://www.amazon.com/Li-ion-Cylindrical-2800mAh-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/B004JPSS1K/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1307460687&sr=8-3-fkmr1 if it is i may grab some and upgrade my pack to see if there is anything gained.

It will not be an upgrade unless you want to drill 1/8" holes for a day. Cant supply high current.

• 2 months later...
It will not be an upgrade unless you want to drill 1/8" holes for a day. Cant supply high current.

I see what you are saying... I am new to understanding this technology. I read this the other day...

m9ypeg.jpg

and this...

**Abundant variety of models meet wide variety of uses(UR18650 series)

>F: High capacity with steady operating voltage model.

>E: High current model for power applications.

>Y and A: Cost performance and improved standard model by optimization of material.

>L: Cost performance and robust model by optimization of material.

>SA and W: Excellent power model for power tools by optimization of material and structure.

>U: Long storage life and high current model.

>ZT: Neo hybrid positive electrode enables higher charging voltage, which realizes further high capacity model.

so I'm guessing these SAX batteries are already putting 20A draws continuous. Although, now that I think about it, what would those ZT batteries do for the longevity of the flash light that use this batt. Pack? From what I have noticed, my flash light dies faster than my drill... well, I work in dark places  and use the flash light mostly continuously... i'm guessing the flashlight does not need high power but more of high capacity batteries.

So what if I upgrade one pack with ZTs for the flashlight and A123 APR18650M1 for the drill?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

A quick update:

The newer dewalt DCB120 batteries are now 1.5ah and have the same cells (I think?) as the milwaukee red lithium/ridgid hyper (see pics).

You can easily tell the new batteries from the old; the newer batteries have 1.5AH on the side battery labels now and the front of the batter has a yellow background with black dewalt logo.

As for the cells, I couldn't find info on them but they look identical to the milwaukee red lithium cells except for a slight difference in the model numbers. Milwaukee uses the samsung INR18650-15M while the dewalt uses samsung INR18650-15B.

Either way, I'm extremely satisfied with the dewalt 12 volt max tools I have (flashlight, drill/driver and screwdriver with the impact coming soon). I appreciate that dewalt is using some good cells in their batteries.

Pics:

IMG_2273.jpg

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2275.jpg

IMG_2272.jpg