PC Charger Obsolete - DeWalt Won't Support

ct24747

My Porter Cable charger went bad and I sent the following note:  I have a Porter Cable drill that was purchased from Home Depot about two years ago. Today, the charger went bad and didn't light up or charge. Found this frustrating as the drill was almost brand new with very little use. Went to look for a replacement charger and it doesn't work with my battery. Looked online and the charger is discontinued with nothing about what to use for a replacement. Now I have a very expensive, very useless drill. Can you please tell me that you can fix this mess? The drill is an 8530. The battery is an 8830. The charger that came with the drill is an 8605. The charger that doesn't work with this battery doesn't seem to have a model number but is a Multi Chemistry Charger said tro work with NiCd and Lithium Slide Pack Batteries.

I received the following response from DeWalt:  Unfortunately the charger is discontinued without replacement. We can offer the option of transitioning into the new Porter Cable Tradesman line or into a DEWALT product and will be offered a significant discount. You will need to complete the PC Customer Dedication transaction over the phone or in person at a factory owned service center. Please use the following link to locate the closest service center.

My only recourse is to buy another drill?  Anyone else have this issue?  Did you resolve it satisfatorily? In my book, if you make something, you should stand behind it.    :-\  Come on, DeWalt.

Thank you for your post, let's break this down and see if we can't get you some helpful answers.

My Porter Cable charger went bad and I sent the following note:  I have a Porter Cable drill that was purchased from Home Depot about two years ago.

Black&Decker Purchased Pent-air back in 2005, part of that purchase included Porter Cable. (?The 19.2v Drill?) in question I believe was discontinued shortly after as a result of that purchase. Are you sure it's only 2yrs old? Check the date code on the drill.

Today, the charger went bad and didn't light up or charge. Found this frustrating as the drill was almost brand new with very little use. Went to look for a replacement charger and it doesn't work with my battery. Looked online and the charger is discontinued with nothing about what to use for a replacement.

I was able to find the 8605 charger on  EBAY I hope this is what your after?

Now I have a very expensive, very useless drill. Can you please tell me that you can fix this mess?

This website is not affiliated with Dewalt, or it's parent company in any way. All we can do here is offer our advice, and help.

The drill is an 8530. The battery is an 8830. The charger that came with the drill is an 8605.

I was unable to find a Porter Cable 8830 drill? The battery and charger are compatible with the 19.2v model 9826. Could you verify that you have the correct model?

The charger that doesn't work with this battery doesn't seem to have a model number but is a Multi Chemistry Charger said tro work with NiCd and Lithium Slide Pack Batteries.

The newer 18v PC Tradesman line is not backwards compatible with the older 19.2v line. So anything you buy related to the tradesman line won't work.

I received the following response from DeWalt:  Unfortunately the charger is discontinued without replacement. We can offer the option of transitioning into the new Porter Cable Tradesman line or into a DEWALT product and will be offered a significant discount. You will need to complete the PC Customer Dedication transaction over the phone or in person at a factory owned service center. Please use the following link to locate the closest service center.

My only recourse is to buy another drill?  Anyone else have this issue?  Did you resolve it satisfatorily? In my book, if you make something, you should stand behind it.    :-\  Come on, DeWalt.

Unfortunatley this happens in the powertool world, Makita does it every few years! Milwaukee is the same. Your best bet is to scour the internet, and Ebay for used items.

Hope that helps you out a bit?

Archived