New 20V Max compact drill broken by design?

magald

I just bought the 20V Max compact combi drill (DCD785) and I really love the ergonomics and overall feel of it. The only problem is that it doesn't seem to work properly.

The store already replaced the drill once and both drills have the same problem. When combining high torque settings/drill mode and low speed (first gear) the brake starts w/o any apparent reason. It forces the motor to stop/shut down, even with no load at all. I've never seen anything like it and both drills behave the exact same way. Any ideas?

More like China on the Compact.....

It's not available here in the USA yet, so It's hard to know what's going on.

Try this for me, put the transmission in 2nd, then pull and release the trigger slowly. Tell me if the brake engages pre-maturely.

If it does engage pre-maturely, try holding your hand around the black clutch ring and try it again. Let me know if the brake stops engaging when you hold the clutch ring.

More like China on the Compact.....

It's not available here in the USA yet, so It's hard to know what's going on.

Try this for me, put the transmission in 2nd, then pull and release the trigger slowly. Tell me if the brake engages pre-maturely.

If it does engage pre-maturely, try holding your hand around the black clutch ring and try it again. Let me know if the brake stops engaging when you hold the clutch ring.

It only happens at low speed in 1st gear combined with drill mode, no problems at all with any other setting or in 2nd gear. It feels like driving a car with the handbrake engaged. Also tried holding the clutch, no luck there.

Sound's like a programming glitch, I'd say exchange it again. Make sure you test it before you leave the store.

There is no "programming" in drill speed, there is a variable "slider" resistor that defines pulse width for PWM chip and then PWM chip drives a MOSFET that drives the motor.

I think someone botched the design, or a batch of bad triggers.

MAGALD, does it happen under load or not? Do you keep the trigger fully pressed?

Archived