DWD220 first impression

anadevi

It's a lot lighter than I was expecting, very comfortable grip & rubber side handle. It has a positive locking ring for the side handle which I liked. Effortless to run a 1 1/4 self feed auger, or 1 1/2 self feed spade bit. It feels solid, quite & smooth.

Overall it is a nice drill, except for the keyed chuck which feels cheap with the jaws being soft. I had to file the jaws after clamping down on a bit.

Interesting feedback on the chuck.

You should try a 2 9/16" self feed with it!  It screams through the application! And if you put around a 1" ship auger bit on there, drill it through a 2x4 or something, then heavily side load the bit (creating a heavy bind up), you can get the E-Clutch to engage.  It's an easy way to demonstrate the clutch, because the drill has so much power it is hard to demo otherwise without hitting a nail or something.

Thank Kjones,

I had been thinking about a DWD210 for a while. I was to aware of the DWD220 with E-Clutch so it was a good thing I waited. The DWD220 is half the weight and twice the speed of what I was using. Really above all else, I notice the difference in weight, also a 6" side hand is padded which is nice.

For a drill this size, I think Dewalt should have put carbide inserts in the chuck jaws like the DCD925. I clamped down on a 1/4 hex shank and somewhere in the dozen or so holes it slipped. The tips of the jaws twisted.

Interesting feedback on the chuck.

You should try a 2 9/16" self feed with it!  It screams through the application! And if you put around a 1" ship auger bit on there, drill it through a 2x4 or something, then heavily side load the bit (creating a heavy bind up), you can get the E-Clutch to engage.  It's an easy way to demonstrate the clutch, because the drill has so much power it is hard to demo otherwise without hitting a nail or something.

I am surprised that you had that happen.  I have the 220, the 210, and the 215, and have never had any issues with the chuck (and trust me, no one beats on a tool like a demo tool from a rep!)  I wonder if the issue came from it being a smaller bit; I typically use large bits in it.  I have no idea what have been put in mine when they go out in the field on demo though...  I'll pass the information along though!

Hi Kjones,

I was using an Irwin 1 1/4" speed bore max auger bit. If this bit was fully inserted (bottomed out) into the chuck, the tips of the jaw would ride up over the shank taper.

I clamped the bit so the top of the jaws were below the taper. There is very heavy scoring (deep cuts) on the 1/4 hex shank where the bit moved down and I guess bottomed out. One jaw pretty much buirried itself into the tapper with two of the jaw tips splaying out.

I am surprised that you had that happen.  I have the 220, the 210, and the 215, and have never had any issues with the chuck (and trust me, no one beats on a tool like a demo tool from a rep!)  I wonder if the issue came from it being a smaller bit; I typically use large bits in it.  I have no idea what have been put in mine when they go out in the field on demo though...  I'll pass the information along though!

Archived