New Brushless tools

rrwalker

If anyone knows it would be gatorb. I can say without a doubt that in a few years all major brands will have brushless saws and other stuff. It makes sense that dewalt is currently working in some. Don't take that last sentence as a fact as it's just my opinion

• Like 1

It's hard for me to comment on this with out getting myself into trouble. So I'll start by saying I can't comment on new product development. 

I will say however, from what I've heard, Our "competitors" brushless recip saw shows a pretty wide variation in runtime. Ranging anywhere from slightly less than Dewalts saw to a ~15% improvement*. They may cut a little faster but it's not extremely noticeable. Their saw is longer and heavier than Dewalts too. 

Our competitors brushless grinder claims are a little out there too. The DCG412M2 is actually more powerful than their grinder, and when cutting 1/2" rebar, their Grinder only nets a 4 cut advantage in runtime (43 to 39) compared to the Dewalt*. Definitely not worth the $100 difference there.

Basically if Dewalt comes out with a brushless tool of any kind, they will require greater run time increases than we've seen from competitors to justify a $50-$100 higher price point that they are charging.

My understanding is, brushless motors are more effective in lighter duty applications. Meaning, you'll see a greater increase in run time with brushelss when your driving 1-1/4" screws into pine than when your drilling with a 1" spade bit. That's why brushless motors are more popular in drills and impacts, as they typically handle lighter duty tasks and see the largest increase in run time. Recip Saws and Circ saws require more draw from the battery and there are typically no "light duty" applications. Thus, you don't really see enough gain in run time to justify the increased cost of a brushless motor. 

Once again, these are my personal thoughts and opinions and do not represent Dewalts. I'm trying to keep myself out of trouble so I apologize the way I worded things.

*Not official statistics

• Like 1

Thanks for everyones replies, it's very much appreciated. Gator, I understand you are unable to comment direcly likely because of an NDA as terms of your employment so I thank you for shedding what light you can on the topic. Is there any references you can provide that I can look in to myself to try to understand why there is a gain over light duty applications and not heavier duty applications with the brushless motors? I simply don't understand the logic as my understanding is that with less friction less heat and more power is produced so in my mind there should be improvement accross the board (not to say by any means what you are saying is not true, I am just one of those guys that likes to understand the "why" behind the way something is, you work in the industry first and and will likely forget more than I will ever know haha)

Cheers,

Ron

Certainly. After a quick google search I found this article by Popular Mechanics:  http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/news/whats-so-great-about-brushless-motor-power-tools

"Because the electronics communicate directly with the stationary windings, the tool adjusts according to the task—which is why the companies market these as "smarter" tools. For example, if you're using a brushless drill to drive screws into Styrofoam, it more readily senses the lack of resistance (compared with a brushed motor) and begins to pull only what little charge it needs from the battery. If the tool then starts putting 3-inch screws into mahogany, it will adjust accordingly and draw more current. By contrast, a brushed motor will always run as fast as it can while in use." 

Speaking of new brushless tools has anyone heard anything about a brushless 20v max high torque 1/2" impact wrench?  I have to admit the M18 one looks really tempting.  The current 20v offering is very weak, I know about the mac one but its still weak compared to the m18 and the IR 20v model.  Really dont want to get into another battery platform but if dewalt doesnt step it up soon I may have to get the fuel model.

They did just update there 20v 1/2in impact wrench to 400ft-lbs which I have I agree specs are week in comparison still, but I did not want a new platform of batteries and it should be fine for my intended use as I have the IR Titanium air impact wrench for high torque application

They did just update there 20v 1/2in impact wrench to 400ft-lbs which I have I agree specs are week in comparison still, but I did not want a new platform of batteries and it should be fine for my intended use as I have the IR Titanium air impact wrench for high torque application

I have a IR2135Ti as well but I would love to get rid of the cord.  It is the only reason I havent bought the m18 yet.

I have a IR2135Ti as well but I would love to get rid of the cord.  It is the only reason I havent bought the m18 yet.

If I knew what I know today I might have gone with the M18 due to the fuel line and the power of that impact, I almost bought that when I was buying the dewalt but I got mine on sale for 20% off with batteries, so price per power/value couldn't be beat.

I agree I'd like to cut the cord, if I was starting out fresh I'd definitely go that route but being an ex-mechanic I have all these resources. The think I do like about my air power, there are no batteries that will become weak from lack of use :)