Irwin Vise-Grip Locking C-Clamps Made In China???

DamianD

IIRC it was around 2008 when they off shored the line.  I bought a couple of the wide nose locking pliers a few months ago for a massive welding project.  Those were made in Taiwan.

I have some of the original petersen, irwin usa, irwin with global components, and now some of the off shored ones.  I can't tell the difference performance wise  between them all.

I'm with you guys. I boycotted Irwin. Kinda like Cuba. Kinda like my boss. Kinda like underwear (just kidding...got keep the ladies at bay). Kinda like donuts (hey I'm getting older). Kinda like my ability to talk politics...thanks Barack and Nancy. Thanks. But selling out like Dan says...well Irwin can kiss my lily white New Engalnd A$s

• Like 3

My problem with Vise-Grips is the lock release lever. The only thing it does well is pinch the shit out of your fingers. The type you pull up to release it a far superior design. 

If it is any consolation for you guys there is nobody making locking pliers in the USA anymore. The best locking pliers are made in Spain by a company called Grip On. They are sold on about all the tool trucks (yes, even Snap-On) as well as Proto and others. If you find a USA made pair of locking pliers they are old stock. 

My problem with Vise-Grips is the lock release lever. The only thing it does well is pinch the shit out of your fingers. The type you pull up to release it a far superior design. 

If it is any consolation for you guys there is nobody making locking pliers in the USA anymore. The best locking pliers are made in Spain by a company called Grip On. They are sold on about all the tool trucks (yes, even Snap-On) as well as Proto and others. If you find a USA made pair of locking pliers they are old stock. 

I agree with the lock release lever...

I have several older craftsman that have the pull release.  I've wondered who the oem for these was.

I have one of the grip on brand I got off the snappy truck.  I like it

I agree with the lock release lever...

I have several older craftsman that have the pull release. I've wondered who the oem for these was.

I have one of the grip on brand I got off the snappy truck. I like it

Hmmm.......no clue. That would be a question for Lauver I would think.

This probably makes me a huge hypoctate, but I don't buy any of the PRC Vise Grips.... Unless I get them on sale for $5 like they are at Ace right now.

I do have maybe a half dozen of the last of the US made Vise Grips, and honestly, I can't tell much difference.

I will be picking up some Grip Ons, and some Knipex, sometime in the near future....

• 1 year later...

If Grip-On or one of their rebrands (Proto for example) are too expensive:

I have a couple of Strong Hand PR115S 11" clamps.  While the Strong Hand clamps are also made in China, they seem a beefier/better design than the Chinese Irwin and have a pull release lever.  I use them when welding.

The new Milwaukee Torque Lock look good too, made in Taiwan but with the inferior push (pinch!) release lever

• 2 months later...