Considering buying some ratcheting wrenches

dwain

Hey all (looking at you Conductor ;))

Got a little birthday money, and am thinking of spending it on some ratcheting wrenches. I currently have some regular (cheap) wrenches, and OK ratchet/socket sets.

On one hand, I wonder if I'll use a cordless scrwedriver for the majority of my automotive/handyman uses, but some flex-head ratcheting wrenches sure look nice ...

Do you think they're a good investment? WIth my budget I could afford the 7 piece set with flex-head or 12 piece set without. I'm leaning toward the flex-heads, they look mighty useful....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002NYD3U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-9412-Metric-Ratcheting-Wrench/dp/B0002NYD1C/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I only use flex wrenches or ratchets if they lock, it's easier to use a locking flex because it won't flip-flop willy-nilly while you're using it. Flex gives you better access to weird areas, and Gearwrench makes great tools and they have a lifetime warranty. Just have to ask yourself where you want to start, because once you get into buying wrenches, you're gonna find gaps in the sizes you have or you're gonna want different wrenches for different applications, and that's where the obsession starts. Next thing you know you'll be looking for bigger toolboxes and somewhere to put them

Looking through the Gearwrench catalog will make you go bonkers really quick, they've got a ton of great stuff in there. I wouldn't go through Amazon though, Gearwench can be found at most stores, Menard's, Home Depot, Ace, etc.. Go with one of them because you know who you're dealing with and can probably find what you want at the store.

Craftsman, and a lot of others, are similar to Gearwrench, but I think Gearwrench was the first to do the original 5° wrenches. After that it seemed like everyone else jumped on the bandwagon and made similar. I love Gearwrench stuff, if I had the money I'd own half their catalog. They've got a ratcheting gear puller set that makes me tingle all over...

Be careful with the locking Craftsmen wrenches. I bought a set for my guys to use in the shop. It seems after a few months those locks aren't staying in place and the wrench flexes anyway.

Just my experience with ours..............

Gearwrench and Craftsman are essentially 2 in the same. Despite testimony to the contrary, Gearwrench has fallen down my list. Gearwrench used to be good quality Taiwan made ratcheting combos. Sometime last year production moved to China resulting in a lot of complaints that quality has suffered.

There are 2 theories on this move. One is that all Gearwrenches are now Chinese made and remaining Taiwanese wrenches are merely old stock.

The second and most widely believed theory is that Gearwrench now has 2 lines. 1 Taiwan and 1 Chinese line to meet lower price points for retail chains.

Which is true? Hell if I know, I try to avoid Apex brands if at all possible. They cut every possible corner and warrantying anything is a painful process.

The Proto/Mac spline wrenches are the best on the market at the moment followed by Snap-On, Armstrong/Matco, etc., but a set of any of those will run you around $500 for metric and another $500 for SAE. That's crazy money if you aren't making a living with them.

I like the Blackhawk models myself. They are more than Gearwrench, but they are better wrenches. They are produced by a company in Taiwan called New Tools (aka Hi-Five) who's Principal Engineer is the guy that invented the ratcheting combo wrench. They also have a much easier warranty process than Gearwrench. They have a very sturdy pawl design with 7 or 8 tooth engagement as opposed to 4 or 5 on the Apex built Gearwrench/Craftsaman models.

Be sure you get offset reversible models. You will hate zero offsets that you have to flip. If you do decide on Gearwrench seek out a Taiwan made set. Be sure to check out eBay as well. Zoro Tools, ToolUp, and Trident Supply usually offer the best prices on Blackhawk.

What size set are you wanting? I'll hunt some stuff down for you.

• Like 1

Thanks Conductor, you're a gun! Probably just a set of 7(ish) metric, unless theres a great price. I'll definitely want 10, 12, 13, 14, 15 & 17mm. I'll have to import to Aus, but it's probably worth doing right. Do you think a set for ~$100 is realistic?

I've seen the China made gearwrenches on both the snappy and cornwell trucks.  

I have the following brands of ratcheting wrenches.

Craftsman  (USA and China made)

Carlyle

Blue Point

Snap on

Dewalt

Gearwrench  (China and Taiwan)

Titan

Cornwell

To me, the Carlyle are the smoothest  (90 tooth).  Interestingly the only ones that I have broken are the snap ons.

Performance wise???  Can't really tell any significant difference.

I find sets, but can't figure out if they ship international or not.

What about the Dewalt ratcheting combos? They are very similar to the Blackhawks, they feature the ASD open end like Proto, they have the lifetime warranty, and they are Taiwan made instead of China. You can find an 11 piece reversible metric set in the price range you're looking for as well.

I think that might be the way to go.

DEWALT DWMT72168 is the model # you're looking for.

I bet truth be told they are New Tools/Hi-Five just like Blackhawk.

Gearwrench and Craftsman are essentially 2 in the same. Despite testimony to the contrary, Gearwrench has fallen down my list. Gearwrench used to be good quality Taiwan made ratcheting combos. Sometime last year production moved to China resulting in a lot of complaints that quality has suffered.

There are 2 theories on this move. One is that all Gearwrenches are now Chinese made and remaining Taiwanese wrenches are merely old stock.

The second and most widely believed theory is that Gearwrench now has 2 lines. 1 Taiwan and 1 Chinese line to meet lower price points for retail chains.

I'd have to believe theory 1.

I'm just starting to see the China sourced gearwrenches on the tool trucks.  Stuff like that moves slower on the trucks than at Sears, Advance etc.  

Last year I bought a sae and metric set of the xl gearboxes through Sears and those were made in Taiwan.  Perhaps since they are relatively new and kinda spendy those will come from Taiwan??

I find sets, but can't figure out if they ship international or not.

What about the Dewalt ratcheting combos? They are very similar to the Blackhawks, they feature the ASD open end like Proto, they have the lifetime warranty, and they are Taiwan made instead of China. You can find an 11 piece reversible metric set in the price range you're looking for as well.

I think that might be the way to go.

DEWALT DWMT72168 is the model # you're looking for.

I bet truth be told they are New Tools/Hi-Five just like Blackhawk.

thanks Conductor, ill look into them! I have recently signed up to have a 'virtual' US address, which is why the generous TIA guys are going to send me something (as a guinea pig). so I don't have to buy from somewhere that sells internationally.

well i just snapped some up. The Dewalt set has 10 pieces, looks good, and I found a brand new set on eBay for $75.

I won't use them enough to justify the prices of Blackhawk anyway, so I'm happy.

Thanks heaps everyone, and especially Conductor (per the usual)!

Dwain: I saw that same set on eBay and was gonna share a link, but the guy doesn't ship international. I didn't know about the virtual address though. How does that work? I think you'll be happy with them. I've played with them in Sears 10 or so times and they look to be pretty nice. At that price you can add down to 7mm and up to 22 or so and still not be into them a bunch of money. That was a great buy.

NC Fordguy: I'm with you on theory 1. I've seen Apex cash in on a name too many times. The Gearwrench faithful don't want to believe it, but I'm afraid it's true.

There are a bunch of forwarding services like shipito. I get a suite # at commercial address (must be a big warehouse). They consolidate my packages, I choose the shipping company and they add their fee.