The Tool Lottery - A hypothetical

Conductor562

Hrmm, its not a crazy amount of cash so you couldn't really build out a big wood shop for that kind of money, but you could still get some really cool tools. I think I would like to get a nice Tig welder. I took welding classes in High School and it was fun to do maybe I would get into artistic welding or something. And you need to spend a decent amount of cash to get a real welder with a decent duty cycle.

I would probably get a Miller mig welder. We have a bunch of the 252 ones in our high school shop class and the only problem we have with them is the trigger goes out on them within 3 or so years. You know they are good when 16-18 year olds can't break them. DR we have a good sized Miller tig welder in our shop class and it is a lot different and more difficult. You need to have a steady hand and patience for tig welding. If you do get one make sure it has a dial on the gun and not a foot pedal for the amperage. Ours has the pedal and it is a massive pain to deal with.

• Like 1

On man I was pretty dang awesome at tig welding I even did aluminum and stainless steel welding. I could get that nice coin stack look going. I wish I had pictures of this sweet swimming ladder we built in the class for a teacher. The shop was mostly filled with miller machines though so I probably would go with miller also. I just liked the fine control tig welding gives you.

I'd buy as much of all that stuff I listed under another topic - suggestions for the upcoming 2014 Tool bag. Mostly I'm foaming at the mouth over an 8" benchtop helical jointer and a 13" helical planer. Hopefully Steel City will introduce the jointer I'm looking for this August in Atlanta. The rest of the stuff is pretty much already out there.

I just got a pretty good deal (I think) on a 14" band saw. Woodcraft was offering Rikon's model 10-321 for $420 plus $20 shipping plus $55 overweight shipping, plus sales tax. It would have ended up costing me $525 - not too bad, right?  But, I called a local tool house specialty store, and they called the manufacturer, and as a result they can have the same saw for me in about ten days for $494 out the door. Keep it local and give the local dealers  a chance to compete with the high volume dealers. Most manufacturers will support their reputable smaller local dealers when asked.   

Probably a big compressor and Proto or IR impact wrenches, 3/8" and 1/2".

Or maybe a Bosch 12" glide saw and jig saw, DeWalt 7.25 circular saw (XXX369), Skil Mag LT worm drive saw, Fein Multimaster, and a drill press.

Still trying to figure out if I could make use of a track saw....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...