Frain20

Ive got a T stak 1 case which I hacked Tools In Action style to fit my dcd985 & dcf895 cordless's ,I tend to use the upper organiser for storing bits and bobs that i use on a daily basis ,Anyway i had a urgent job to do for my boss on a late night ,which was a mock door with full door furniture for the client/architect to have a look at..The door was situated in a messy cabin on the grounds of the worksite and i literally didn't have any room to put my T-Stack case anywhere other than outside the cabin...Mid way lock morticing i realised it was lashing down with rain..I had a peer out to find my organiser tray was full of water as i hadn't shut the thing.."My fault I know"
I drained all the water and had a quick spruce up,but it was inevitable My bits would start rusting...

Now I never really thought about using a Rust/Moisture Inhibitor until this happened and its quite easy to overlook it..We all spend vast amounts of money on tool boxes that are super impact/water resistant and we never stop and think of protecting them from the moisture that gets locked in the box..

Who on here use's a moisture inhibitor & what products are u using to protect from rust/moisture???

An extract from Gearheaddiva.com

Blackboard Chalk

Store a few pieces of blackboard chalk in each compartment of your toolbox that contains metal tools or other hardware and it will absorb the moisture before it gets a chance to go to school on your tools.

Coal/Charcoal

Not only will it grill up a delicious steak, using a few pieces in your toolbox will absorb enough oxygen to help inhibit the rusting process.

Silica Gel Packs

You can find these in new shoe boxes, at the bottom of purses, or packaged with any item that has to stay dry. If you’re stuck in the shoe department while your significant other shops, it’s a good opportunity to build a good supply because they’re usually sprinkled all over the floors. Toss a few in each drawer of your toolbox to absorb moisture. It’s important to periodically dry them out so they can be reused or else they’ll eventually start leaking once fully saturated. Hold each pack for about 15 minutes in front of a warm bright light bulb and they’ll be ready to go to work again.

Moth Balls or Camphor

Camphor emits a gas that interferes with oxidation and works pretty well to prevent tools from rusting. Place a cube of camphor and a few ordinary moth balls in your toolbox for a more complete attack on rust – camphor will block the reaction while moth balls absorb moisture.

Coatings

There’s a reason that greasy tools rarely get rusty. A thin film of oil like mineral or camellia oil, or even paste wax is an excellent rust inhibitor minus the grit. After oiling your tools, wipe off the excess until you’re barely able to feel the oil. Even an ultra thin coat is enough of a barrier against moisture. Other more controversial coatings I’ve seen used are motor oil, WD-40, and furniture polish. Whatever coating you choose, the key is to reapply often.

Climate Control

The root cause of rust is moisture so if you have a humid shop, you’re going to get rust. Running a dehumidifier may sound expensive but how much did you pay for some of those prized tools? It’s also taken a lot of time to build up your arsenal so there’s more than just money invested in them. A dehumidifier costs less to run than you may think and protects your investment at the source.

Micro Climates

Although those wall racks are a convenient way to have your tools at the ready they’re constantly exposed to the moisture in your shop. If running a dehumidifier isn’t an option, consider creating a micro-climate for your tools with a tool chest. A tight-fitting lid goes a long way to controlling humidity and allowing you to create a separate dry environment within your shop.

Summers here are humid, much like in the deeper south. West Virginia has a very diverse climate. We get the hot, humid, summers, the cold, nothernish, winters, and very pleasant springs and falls.

Ask a southerner and we're a northern state, ask a northerner and we're a southern state, ask One of us and it depends. The northern part of the state has a very northern feel to it, while the central and southern parts have a very southern feel.

When Virginia broke off from the Union during the civil war, we broke off from Virginia. There are many towns in my area (including mine) where there were Union and Confederate recruiting stations across the street from one another. I literally had relatives that signed up on both sides. My great, great, grandpa and his brother rode into town together, my grandpa signed up with the union and his brother the confederacy. Then they rode home together, lol. They both survived the war, but the latter never returned home and settled in Florida after the war.

What does that have to do with humidity? Beats the hell out of me :lol:

• Like 3