Playground Build

If you remember a few weeks back I was putting a big wooden gym set together for the kids. Shitty as it was, it was only the beginning.

Over the last few weeks, between work, several weeks in Florida, and all the other shit life throws at me, I've been laying landscaping timbers, filling in to level it out, and today I spread all the pea gravel. It's been a lot harder job than it looks. Our yard over there is pretty unlevel, so doing this made an otherwise unused piece of ground usable.

When I put the gym set together I leveled the patch off with the grader blade on the tractor. It was easier to dig down than it was to build up in that situation. I wish I had the pics from start, but a phone snafu killed them.

post-515-0-49053200-1400557234_thumb.jpg

The wheelbarrow was fine for moving fill dirt for the first couple hours, but Conductor has had enough. It was time to bring in some reinforcements.

post-515-0-89531900-1400557744_thumb.jpg

May not look it, but that's 21 tons. I didn't want to be a month spreading it, so my buddy brought over his skid steer. I built this area big to also contain the trampoline and a picnic table. A little more work now, but worth every penny not to have to move the damn thing every time I mow. It's 45'x35', but as I found out, 21 ton was a bit much.

post-515-0-13342500-1400558288_thumb.jpg

In the back we had to go 4 timbers high. It still won't be completely level, but it's pretty damn close.

post-515-0-97311000-1400558476_thumb.jpg

I finished the underlayment and got all the gravel spread, but I ran out of daylight before I could get an updated pic. I'll follow up tomorrow.

• Like 1

Dang 21 tons of stone too move. Luckily you have a friend with a skid steer otherwise its pretty back breaking work moving soil or rock around. I have done it quite a few times now over the years and just using a wheel barrow sucks. I dented mine from a big landscape rock i used in my yard after rolling it from my pickup. It looks ugly put it still works just fine I should put some touch up paint on it as it's showing some rust spots. Back to the play scape I wish I had something like that when I was a kid that thing looks awesome Conductor!!! All I accomplished this evening is my potato planter its not pretty, but it will get the job done.

Living in the country I feel more obligated to have plenty of stuff for the kids to do. I lived in the sticks as a small child, and with no neighbor kids, or neighbors for that matter, it was lonesome at times. My brother wasn't born until we moved to town, so it was just me back then.

My wife babysits as well, so it will definitely be a worthwhile investment in the long run.

• Like 1