The most economical way to heat a garage?

DR99

I want to add some heat to my garage soon. The only thing is I'm stuck on which way I should go. The only real option is either electric or wood/pellet. The cost and hassle of running a natural gas line isn't worth it. I like the idea of the infrared electric heat as its very quick and heats surfaces more than air. The only down side is electricity is expensive in Michigan compared to other areas. I really wish I ran a natural gas line to the garage when I built it. Natural gas is so dang cheap now with all the new wells and crap.

Plus I forgot how expensive the wire to run an Electric heater would cost. It's crazy how expensive wire has gotten. I was helping a buddy renovate an outbuilding on his property last winter and we used his kerosene turbo heater the smell and the fumes are not worth it. I could see a propane version being worth it but not a kerosene one. It's crazy how much a jug of kerosene costs at HD or Lowes.

Heat? Damn, it is getting close to cooler weather isn't it?

I used Kerosene last winter. Keep my 18x34 tshirt warm took 2-2 1/2 gallons a day. This year I plan on using the electric unit Regopit hooked me up with.

If that proves too expensive, I think wood will be my next option.

How cold does it get in you neck of the woods conductor? I know last winter was extreme for everyone though, so its not the best gauge. Man I hate building inspectors I should have sneaked in the pipe for a gas line when I build the garage. The fucking city wanted engineered drawings wtf its a simple gas line.All I need is black pipe or the new plastic gas line stuff. It's not like I'm building the sears tower here. My city has gotten crazy on the permits and inspections I get that things should be done right and not hacked together, but they are fucking crazy here with what they want. The houses are from the 50's and 60's the codes have changed yes, but adapting to the new codes can not be economical in most cases.

Pellet stove. No chopping wood, super efficient, clean and east to instal. A ton of pellets (I used four last winder to heat my entire home during one of the coldest snowiest winters in history). A ton would

sat all winter if your just using it while your working in the shop.

Yea, I'm thinking the same thing possibly  Brien The only thing I might do just to make things safer and more convenient is put a 40lb tank outside of the garage. The other thing is you have to crack the garage door or a window so you don't end up getting carbon monoxide poisoning. The portable heaters don't have a vent pipe. The have a really cool pellet stove unit that mounts in your window or just in a wall if you want, but all the reviews of it are horrible. It sucks when you see a great idea but they didn't decide to build it properly.

Between the two Id go pellet for sure,they work amazingly. You can probably get pellets online easy enough if you had to but im pretty sure ive seen them at places like sams club,hardware stores etc.

Currently using propane in my garage. My garage walls and celings are insulated its not bad with the proper btu range.

It doesnt get anywhere near as cold here in Norcal as you get in Michigan thou.  low 30's and mid 20's are probably the lowest we get in winter.

Just make sure you dont forget proper ventilation.

Your temps are not too far off Fazzman. A Michigan winter has similar temps we might dip in the lower teens and 20's where I'm located I'm on the south east side near Detroit. If i was further north it would be a different story. I think the closest tractor supply is a good 40-50 miles away. I just want enough heat so that I can chill out and do some stuff like any repairs on power equipment and not freeze my testes off :) I also want to start to do some more wood working type stuff..

The first three things you should do are....

1. Replace old windows with Insulated Vinyl Windows.

2. Replace old garage door with Insulated Garage Door.

3. ADD insulation in the ceiling (blown-in).

Those 3 things will drastically lower you heating costs & BTU requirements to keep it comfortable.