Advice on new cordless drill system

BIGBEARJT

hey everyone, first time on the forums, i could use some advice, im looking into getting a new cordless setup, I currently have a makita lxt system, with the impact driver and 1/2 hammer drill, with the 3.0ah batteries, now this setup has served me beyond expections, now i do have some reservations for anything but makita because of this, this setup i have its been running over 7+ years flawlessly, original batteries, charger, never had to send back for repair, its been through hell and back and still gets the job, done, with battery performance that is still acceptable. now only reason i wish to upgrade is that i see a lot new designs with some improvement namely in battery technology and brushless motors. with that said, what would be some good replacements? 

Thanks, 

Jared

First off...welcome to the forum Jared. As far as other platforms, at the end of the day you are vesting yourself in a battery platform. If Makita is serving you well, why not stay? Javier has some great video reviews (one of our members) on Makita tools. I am primarily now into Festool but have a Milwaukee M12 line for small cutters. I also have a Milwaukee battery (M18) to power my job light. I just bought the Dewalt Brushless 20v hammer. I think at the endo of the day you have to ask yourself, do you want to spend the money? I can vouch for Milwaukee. Their warranty and return service is one of the best. The battery technology is getting better and better and fuel gauges are standard on the M18 batteries and on the M12 tools. Makita hasn't introduced this and see,s to have until recently been pretty lackadaisical about upping their product line. But they are revving up now. It sounds like you've been lucky in your choice thus far so why change it up? I will say Milwaukee is a phenomenal tool line and to be quite honest, and God help me for saying this, Dewalt is really impressing me with this brushless hammer and now producing cordless tools in America. Good luck and welcome! Chris

Bigbear welcome to the forum! Chris explained it perfectly on his advice to you if makita a been good to ya why not stick with them I'm a Dewalt fan but have been expanding in to different brands so if your like Chris or me u will be owning different battery platforms anyway. Chris I'm glad your Likeing the dcd995 now u just gotta go for the impact bro.

• Like 1

Makita is a good system. The only reason I would shy away from them is the batteries. Lack of compatibility between all tools/batteries, and the lack of charge indicator frustrates me. But they are reasonably priced and have some really cool tools. If you like using a compact drill, I think they seriously lag the market. If you like a full sized drill, they currently have the most powerful drill around.

It does pay to look around, there are also very good offerings from Milwaukee, Bosch, Dewalt, Metabo etc ...

The Metabo USA Facebook page hasn't been updated since 2013. That's pretty bad. I think they tried to make a push here selling cordless tools and they just couldn't compete with their higher prices, were Festool has been able to thrive and an ultra premium tool.

thanks guys, i ended up with getting a new LXT 3 piece kit from home depot, saw it on the main page of the TIA site when i came here, $232 shipped! too good of deal to pass up! 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Combo-Kit-3-Tool-LXT319/203437807?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053

• Like 2

thanks guys, i ended up with getting a new LXT 3 piece kit from home depot, saw it on the main page of the TIA site when i came here, $232 shipped! too good of deal to pass up! 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Combo-Kit-3-Tool-LXT319/203437807?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053

Glad I could help out. I just saw that deal browsing the HD page today. You really can't beat that price. Makita wants $179 for 2 new batteries why not get a whole new kit for not much more.