Makita drill deal?

BK13

http://toolguyd.com/makita-18v-hammer-drill-kit-cpo-holiday-2014/

Stuey has posted what looks to be a decent deal on a Makita HDD kit.

But, I wonder, is this battery compatible with all of the 18v tools? That's the thing that bugs me about Makita... This battery will work with that tool, but not with the one over there. But this battery will work with the other tool... Arrrgh!

The only battery that ever has a problem of not fitting is the 1.3 amp battery.  From the 1.5 amp and up you never have any problem.  

It's only the 1.3 Amp that you find in  the cheapest DIY cordless makita sets that doesn't fit on higher draw tools.

Stay away from the 1.3 Amp --> never have any problem.

All 1.3 amp are being replaced with 1.5 amps at the least in the current existing tools to prevent any of this nonsense in the future :)

The only battery that ever has a problem of not fitting is the 1.3 amp battery.  From the 1.5 amp and up you never have any problem.  

But there are also a whole bunch of (mostly older) Makita tools that won't accept the 4.0ah or 5.0ah batteries...

Thats a problem the other way around.

For you information:

Every Makita LXT 18 Volt battery of 1.5 Amp or more that you buy right now will fit on ALL 18 Volt LXT Makita tools.

The 1.3 Amp batteries will only fit in lower amp draw tools. All in all no-one should ever be buying 1.3 amp batteries anymore and if a store is still selling them it better be on a very low price but be aware that 1.3 amp batteries will not always fit all tools so... STAY AWAY =p

Will my tool fit a new 4.0 amp or 5.0 amp battery ?

1 simpel thing to check:  The connector plate on the bottom of your tool.

If it is yellow with a star:  All batteries will fit.

If it is yellow without a star: All batteries will fit.

If it is Black with a star: All batteries will fit.

If it is black without a star:  Sorry.. Tough luck here.  A tool with a black connector plate without a star is an older tool. These tools do not have the required electronics for the over discharge / over heating / overload protection.   That is exactly the reason why 4.0 amps and 5.0 amp batteries do not fit.  Else people would start using the new batteries on older tools, and without protection circuits still over discharge batteries and drain them death.

Yep it's annoying that you cant use some of your old tools with new batteries. Does it really matter in the end? No. 3.0 Amp batteries have been going fine for 8 years now.  And if your older Makia finnaly breaks down in a few years after alot of hard work.  then it's time to upgrade.  By then we'll maybe have 8.0 amp batteries. Who knows :D

• Like 1

1 simpel thing to check:  The connector plate on the bottom of your tool.

If it is yellow with a star:  All batteries will fit.

If it is yellow without a star: All batteries will fit.

If it is Black with a star: All batteries will fit.

If it is black without a star:  Sorry.. Tough luck here.  A tool with a black connector plate without a star is an older tool.

I'm gonna have to get that tattooed on my hairy palm... No way in heck will I remember that...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

i understand all the reasoning behind Makita's rules, they just look below-par compared to the competition, who don't have these issues (though Bosch's 1.3Ah batteries also have a tab).

Good thing Makita has upped the ante on their latest (fantastic brushless) tools, cause their battery compatibility complexities still upset me.