Advice needed - New drill for husband for Christmas :-)

cluffy

Hey folks, I was hoping someone here could give me some advice.

My husband mentioned recently that his drill is on its last legs so I thought I'd buy him a new one for Christmas but I don't know anything about these things :-(

He uses the drill for general DIY stuff around the house and he is doing up an old landrover (not sure if he uses the drill for this at all!)

The one he has got is quite old, it's corded and he said once he could do with a twin speed one.

He has got a Makita cordless screwdriver that he like a lot, so I thought this drill looked good :

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dhp453rftk-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-101-accessories/34224?kpid=34224&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&kpid=34224&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping%20-%20Power%20Tools-_-Shopping%20-%20Power%20Tools&gclid=COvhiLfimMICFeHHtAodM0UAig#

That is around my budget and gets good reviews, but any advice anyone can throw my way would be much appreciated!

Oh, he always said he needs some double-headed ratchet spanners - I have no idea where to start with them!!!

Thanks all :-)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-1-2-in-Cordless-Hammer-Driver-Drill-Kit-XPH012/205382798?PID=4150373&AID=11210757&cj=true&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4150373-_-11210757

Try this.

That is a great quality hammer drill with a high capacity battery that charges in less than half an hour and introduces him to a new battery platform, hope this helps, Chris

• Like 1

Hi all, thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it :)

I am in the UK, I hadn't noticed this was a US based forum! :blush:

US based! No problem-o!! Everybody....everybody is welcome here! Except those crazy North Koreans!!!!! Angry little people :(
  • Like 3

Hey folks, I was hoping someone here could give me some advice.

My husband mentioned recently that his drill is on its last legs so I thought I'd buy him a new one for Christmas but I don't know anything about these things :-(

He uses the drill for general DIY stuff around the house and he is doing up an old landrover (not sure if he uses the drill for this at all!)

The one he has got is quite old, it's corded and he said once he could do with a twin speed one.

He has got a Makita cordless screwdriver that he like a lot, so I thought this drill looked good :

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dhp453rftk-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-101-accessories/34224?kpid=34224&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&kpid=34224&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping%20-%20Power%20Tools-_-Shopping%20-%20Power%20Tools&gclid=COvhiLfimMICFeHHtAodM0UAig#

That is around my budget and gets good reviews, but any advice anyone can throw my way would be much appreciated!

Oh, he always said he needs some double-headed ratchet spanners - I have no idea where to start with them!!!

Thanks all :-)

Hi..

Based on what your saying lid probably go for another cordless drill with that extra speed setting and a hammer function there normally called (combi drills,Now you say he has a Makita drill already,

Normally I would say if he has bought into a certain Brand of tool then stick with it..But this might not be the case depending how old the tool is and what budget you have ..as an older tool will have the older style batteries and if that's the case you might as well either

A:- Stick with buying the same brand with the old style batteries (and maybe have money spare for more tools)

B:-Go for the new style batteries and cordless drill (I'm sure if this is the case one of us will pipe up and find u a good deal)

C:-Re-evaluate how much you love your hubby and spend more money for a kit (that way when u want them shoes in the Boxing Day sale he can't say no)

Just to be on the safe side,try and get a picture or model number off his corded & cordless drills!

oh for sure the regular m12 drill or impact will do anything a DIYer needs to do, the M12 fuel set even better I have these along with the M18 fuel hammer drill and impact.....the average guy don't need those but on the other hand sure is nice to have as i say....passin power.......however I seem to grab the M12 Drill over the M18 drill most times....