Mad Framing Skills

madman_us

Madman, Im not a plumber so hopefully one will chime in!

my gut is telling me that you will be good with your plan.. might even be on the safe side... hows your water pressure?  pretty strong??

just so i make sure I'm hearing you right.. run 1" from the water main to the garage.. at the garage i think you can t-down to 3/4 feeding the WH and 3/4 feeding the rest of the cold fixtures.. you could actually jump right down to 1/2" for the washer and sink cold lines.  without really knowing the water demand of the rest of the house i can say you should be good feeding from the new water heater to the existing house with 3/4"...  from the hot water heater to the garage sink and washer 1/2" should be fine. 

the water pressure is pretty high.

i prolly go with 3/4" blue pex (cold) from water main to garage, because the 1" white pex is kinda on the expensive side.

1"x100' is 70 bucks.... and 3/4x100' $50; 1/2x100' $30

also i think 3/4" should be enough to feed the water header and the rest in the garage

but yeah, exactly what typed NER.

whats a good idea too....the cold water in the garage coming from main water, will get a shut off valve and the warm water which goes from the new WH in the house ( or just directly after the WH )will get a shut off valve as well.

the water pressure is pretty high.

i prolly go with 3/4" blue pex (cold) from water main to garage, because the 1" white pex is kinda on the expensive side.

1"x100' is 70 bucks.... and 3/4x100' $50; 1/2x100' $30

also i think 3/4" should be enough to feed the water header and the rest in the garage

but yeah, exactly what typed NER.

whats a good idea too....the cold water in the garage coming from main water, will get a shut off valve and the warm water which goes from the new WH in the house ( or just directly after the WH )will get a shut off valve as well.[/quote

I agree with John, , MM what size is your main? If you have 1" off the main i would run the 1" to the water heater and branch off the cw to your wm and any other fixtures, if you have 3/4" off the main run 3/4" and you will be fine, the 1" will be better if you have a long run, the bigger the pipe the less resistance the water will have to fight against as it flows. Some of the PEX tubing out there have a smaller Inside diameter than copper tubing and their fittings are not full port like copper. I have used Viega PEX and love it. The less fittings you use the better...

i gonna check what size the main line is.... also what size going in and out of the wh now.

viega PEX is pretty cool, i like that too....

i used that back in germany

HomeDepot just has sharkbite pex - its similar, just push in and done.

no press needed, but i assume the fittings are a bit more expensive.

and i dont have that crimping tool for viega pex tubes  :P

Looks like a good plan.. did you ever check the size pipe that is currently feeding the water heater etc. as Mikey mentioned? That's a good move and should tell you a lot about what you need. Mikey knows his stuff

1/2 to the washer and sink is plenty.

Also, don't get hung up on the color of the pipe... if you can save some money by buying all one color then go for it, there are no differences in the pipe itself, it's just to make it easier to keep track of your hot and cold while running a lot of it.. shouldn't be a concern in your case.

Looks like a good plan.. did you ever check the size pipe that is currently feeding the water heater etc. as Mikey mentioned? That's a good move and should tell you a lot about what you need. Mikey knows his stuff

1/2 to the washer and sink is plenty.

Also, don't get hung up on the color of the pipe... if you can save some money by buying all one color then go for it, there are no differences in the pipe itself, it's just to make it easier to keep track of your hot and cold while running a lot of it.. shouldn't be a concern in your case.

i havent checked it today - was hell of a storm outside. i can do it tomorrow.

the color in the picture is just to show hot and cold :D the price for the pipes is the same....doesnt matter if its white, red pink or yellow :P

• 3 weeks later...