help with air compressors please

DrDenby

Hi, everyone.

I need some help.

Lately, I have been wanting an air compressor for use at home.

I have a problem now with sensory overload.

I need a "for dummies" explanation of

the kinds (pancake, hot dog, etc) and advantages/disadvantages

oiled vs oil less  (ads/disads)

how to decide how many gallons I need

how to decide how much psi I need

I would probably best describe my needs as "light duty" .. would like air wrenches, air chucks, blow guns

Thanks,

Doc

Your probably going to need something a little bigger than a small compressor like a pancake. Those are meant for more intermittent carpentry work when your going to have more demand with mechanics air tools.

oil filled are usually cheaper and louder, with less output....

compressors are cheaper than they used to be so its not that big of a investment now.

take a look at the tools you will want to use on a regular basis and check CFM rating then look for a compressor that meets those requirements........

portability may be a factor 

I have a 26 gallon stationary along with a small 3 gallon 

I'm not too sure on the differences etc. but for size the tools you are using will say what their CFM rating is so you just want to add that up and get a compressor that can keep up. You don't want to be waiting on it to pressure up, or lose power in use. I use a compressor at work every day and losing pressure is a huge pita. I use a screw compressor now and have endless power.

I have a husky 20gallon that I run my mechanic tools on, the one thing U gotta remember is impact wrenches/ grinders and even the small air ratchets will suck up a lot of air. My husky holds up pretty good I even painted a big iron security door with it and it did a good job I also have a 8 gallon for runing small air nailers blowing out the garage filling the tires etc take UR time looking around and see what benifits more, at the end U will probibly end up getting a big and small one it just depends on witch one U buy first. Oh sorry my I forgot to mention my 8gallon is oil and is louder that my oiless 20 gallon. Good luck!

If you're going to run ANY air tools like impact or air ratchet, you'll want 20 gallons minimum or you'll face a lot of down time waiting for the tank to fill and the compressor may run non stop during use. I have an Ingersol Rand 80 gallon and it's perfect for just about anything and everything.

Not sure if HD still has it, but I just bought a porter cable 6 gallon with a stapler, 16 guage and 18 guage guns. Also came with a hose and some staples and nails. It was $199 when I got it a few months ago. It's been really good for finish nailing, I haven't used it with any mechanic type tools though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I'm with Ricky. I'd go at least 15-20 gallon and around 7 CFM @ 90 psi.

At that level you have a pretty good base for air tools like impacts, grinders, etc. and can do most things you'll likely be doing. You won't be painting a car or sandblasting, but it's workable.

You can always pick up a little pancake or hotdog later on if you need more portability

Lots of good advise.

I agree that the HF compressors are a great buy. They aren't Rolair quality, but I've had my 5 hp 60 gallon for a couple years now with pretty much daily use and can't say a bad word about it.

Aside from longevity, oiled compressors are generally quieter than oil-less models