M18 Fuel Impact Driver 2.0

vaultman

After seeing Dan's videos on the next generation M18 tools I looked at MIlwaukee website and saw they have a new impact driver. I was so looking forward to this, so much so that I just bought a cheap impact at the pawn shop just to wait. What was I waiting for? A tool with three headlights like the DeWalt 20v and Rigid's new x5.

And the new M18 doesn't' have it? Is this something that is patented by another tool manufacturer.

Power only does so much. With an impact driver you start running into the amounts of power that break screws. That said, I don't install cabinets or anything so that light isn't important to me.

OP, it's just Milwaukee's handle design with their drills all have a light in the same spot. I would imagine we are unlikely to see that change. I'm excited to see how the slightly revised grip on the new drills feels though.

• Like 1

Power only does so much. With an impact driver you start running into the amounts of power that break screws. That said, I don't install cabinets or anything so that light isn't important to me.

OP, it's just Milwaukee's handle design with their drills all have a light in the same spot. I would imagine we are unlikely to see that change. I'm excited to see how the slightly revised grip on the new drills feels though.

I am looking forward the the handle feel as well.

And though I don't install cabinets there are so many times the three ring light would be great.

Even though Impacts is about torque, more power in form of a more beefier motor would be nice. (more "instant torque" instead of the need to drive it a quarter of a round for each impact) I.E Something in between an impact driver and a drill.

Impacts could take forever finishing semi-large screws. Thightning Bolts on the other hand, which have a very low load untill the very end, and then needs to be tightened half a rotation or something. They are perfect for impacts.

While I agree impact wrenches are a better concept than impact drivers, my gen one M18 Fuel laughs at 3.5" deck screws even in mode 2. I would be lying if I said I wouldn't take longer and be more fatigued using my 2604 for the same task. Mode 3 makes tap cons a joke.

Milwaukee wasn't allowed to put the 3 ring LED style because then it would be the Ultimate Impact Driver and they would've Monopolized the industry!  On a more serious note, the light that it has isn't bad at all and it's definitely worth saving up for.  I'm trying to sell some tools just to add to my Milwaukee fund.

And the new M18 doesn't' have it? Is this something that is patented by another tool manufacturer.

Ryobi was one of the first, if not the first, to put a trio of LED's on the front of an impact driver with the P236 way back in the beginning of 2012. I know because I got one when it first came out. It's the same parent company as Milwaukee so it can't be a patent thing. I actually like the p236 a lot. The tri light is better than the Milwaukee's single one but not THAT much better to be honest. The Milwaukee's LED staying on for a while after the trigger is pulled and the multiple power mode buttons far outweigh the loss of a little light IMHO. I think the problem with going with all the LED's around the front of a driver is you end up having to make the whole front cap out of plastic which won't hold up as well as metal and that's probably why Milwaukee seems averse to adding a ring of LED's around the business end of their impact drivers and wrenches.