Choosing the right miter saw

taylorv1

depending on what you are using it for currently and what you plan to be using it for in the future, the glide saw is smooth that's a fact, personally I have a 12" dewalt dual bevel sliding compound mitre. love it, works great for anything except carrying it to job sites. 

moral of the story if you are able to stay with a 10" and still get all the same cuts id personally go for the bosch. its compact, smooth and from what I can tell very good at keeping the dust and debris off the saw. hook it up to a good vacuum and they claim I think its 98% of the dust. ive been looking into the 12" from them and getting rid of my dewalt and adding a smaller 10" slider, maybe the Makita because its a slight bit cheaper at $450 ive seen.

hope this is helpful, just think about the future when you decide because say you want to do baseboard that's 5 1/2" tall, the easiest way to cut the 45 is by standing it upright and moving the compound... the 10" doesn't like that much. just a thought since the 12" isn't much more (depending on the brand)

Hmmmmmmmm........Kapex? ;)

The 780 is an awesome machine and the research I did in the machines put the 780 at the top of the list but I ended going Kapex (super deal otherwise I would've gone Dewalt or Makita). Bosch' axial glide is a beast too, I've heated mixed reviews on DC which is a big deal for me whereas I work in my poorly ventilated basement.

Another Makita ls1018 vote.

I used to own a LS1016 and the few gripes I had with that saw have all seemed to be addressed in the new 1018. And it a good amount less expensive than most other options.. the direct drive motor and soft start on this saw are excelent

• Like 1

I went with the Hitachi 12in sliding miter saw and absolutely love it. The laser is adjustable which is nice and it not super heavy. I have a basement shop so being able to have the saw up against the wall and still us the slide is the main reason why i got it. I got it for 359 on sale at menards i believe and for the money it the best saw i have used.

Sure... just throw in a TSC track saw and the Domino XL joiner to be safe lol.

OP - I looked at the Hitachi, DeWalt and Bosch and the Bosch (12 inch saws) won.  For three reasons - It's super smooth, It has lots of adjustments and they all seem sturdy and well made, and it can ride flush agains my wall when I'm working so It saves some space. Ok really four reasons... it just looks cool with that glide system.  Granted, I don't own the Hitachi or the DeWalt so the adjustments may be just as good and just as many, I don't know.   For the same reason Chewie mentioned - I didn't want to get to a point where I didn't have enough tool so I went with the 12 inch for a little more.

The 780 is an awesome machine and the research I did in the machines put the 780 at the top of the list but I ended going Kapex (super deal otherwise I would've gone Dewalt or Makita). Bosch' axial glide is a beast too, I've heated mixed reviews on DC which is a big deal for me whereas I work in my poorly ventilated basement.

. Bro my buddy at work is thinking about picking up the Kapex I keep telling to get it, I hope he does get so that I can have the privilege of trying one of these out man:}
  • Like 1

. Bro my buddy at work is thinking about picking up the Kapex I keep telling to get it, I hope he does get so that I can have the privilege of trying one of these out man:}

Like buttah Mike.....Like buttah!

It's an awesome machine no doubt. The DC is great for a miter saw, the best really. The finish quality is amazing and the adjustable speed, lock put, easy blade change and dual lasers is just friggin awesome. Plus.....it's sexy! Super light, easy to carry around and 12" cut capacity in a 10" saw. It's a purpose built machine with incredible accuracy. I really can't say enough about it. And NER is rightt on too. I checked out the 1018 at Brock's supply here in town and man, that IS a nice saw.

• Like 2

Like buttah Mike.....Like buttah!

It's an awesome machine no doubt. The DC is great for a miter saw, the best really. The finish quality is amazing and the adjustable speed, lock put, easy blade change and dual lasers is just friggin awesome. Plus.....it's sexy! Super light, easy to carry around and 12" cut capacity in a 10" saw. It's a purpose built machine with incredible accuracy. I really can't say enough about it. And NER is rightt on too. I checked out the 1018 at Brock's supply here in town and man, that IS a nice saw.

. One Day Bro One Day... I 2 will be a Festool snob with u my friend ;)
  • Like 2