Murdoch's sells ONLY DeWalt

Home Depot sells no Kobalt

Husky is found at Home Depot

Irwin at Lowe's

I've seen Black & Decker at both Home Depot and WalMart

Everyone sells Bostitch

Spyder random-Sawzall-blades are found only at Lowe's

What gives?

Do different manufacturers enter into exclusive retailer contracts?

Does that alter your buying habits insofar as only hitting one place to buy gear and random supplies?

Yes, manufacturers have exclusively deals with retailers and some retailers own brands outright.

The Kobalt name is owned by Lowe's, Craftsman by Sears, and though it was at first leased to Home Depot by Stanley B&D, Husky is now owned by HD outright.

The Ridgid power tool name is owned by Emerson, produced exclusively by TTI, and sold exclusively by HD.

The list goes on and on and extends way beyond tools

• Like 1

another thing too is brands pay for space in these big stores you see an end cap with Milwaukee they pay for that space next time you go and a different brand is in that place Milwaukee felt they didn't sell enough or contract was up....that is why you see them all over the place.....

You won't find Lenox products at HD, and you won't find Frued at Lowe's

Lowe's dropped Klein and Greenlee electrical tools and liscensed the Southwire name for a line of pedestrian stuff that's probably OEM'd by Greenlee.

The list could literally go on for days. There are even exclusivity deal on certain items. I bought a Price Pfister faucet once that was an HD exclusive which eventually translated to nobody having parts for the damn thing.

As far as I'm concerned, the tool and paint department at HD is way better than Lowe's, but I prefer Lowe's for lumber and power equipment because I like both Troy-Bilt and Husqvarna

I will give you the perfect example of that. There are certain brands which are sold exclusively to Sears. DieHard for example, on the best battery manufacturer in the world! But what do you do when your old battery is shot and you want a new one, but because the Sears company CEO treated the retail chain as a hedge fund, and your Sears store is no longer around? Well you can't do jack shit except to buy an top quality Interstate battery for your replacement. Thankyou Sears CEO for trying to ruin my life lol

I hate that our Sears store is gone now. I remember when I was a kid walking around the store looking at tools with my dad. Kinda sad it's gone really.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I will give you the perfect example of that. There are certain brands which are sold exclusively to Sears. DieHard for example, on the best battery manufacturer in the world! But what do you do when your old battery is shot and you want a new one, but because the Sears company CEO treated the retail chain as a hedge fund, and your Sears store is no longer around? Well you can't do jack shit except to buy an top quality Interstate battery for your replacement. Thankyou Sears CEO for trying to ruin my life lol

Protoolnut,  I feel your frustration.  It's tough to find what you want at a reasonable price then add consideration for a vendor who will be there in the long run.  After sale support especially for long duration consumable items can be sketchy.  

Today my wife's 72 month old Costco Kirkland group 35 battery had a cell fail.  I was passing the local Costco so I picked up a new one to get her on the road then deal with return credits.  I was pleased to see that Costco now carries Interstate batteries although now with a 42 month warranty.   I hope they are not peddling the low end of the Interstate lineup. 

I found the receipt from 9/2009 and she is entitled to a 30% refund ~ $18.  Tomorrow I'll find out if they give a warrantee refund and the battery back for the $15 core charge on the new Interstate.

• 2 weeks later...

The list could literally go on for days. There are even exclusivity deal on certain items. I bought a Price Pfister faucet once that was an HD exclusive which eventually translated to nobody having parts for the damn thing.

Companies like Kohler, Delta and Moen also make exclusive lines for HD & Lowes. Most of the time, it's cheaper parts to keep costs low. The biggest thing big box stores do is attempt to carry the brands the other store doesn't carry. If they can't get brand exclusivity, they sell the tools and models the other store doesn't stock. Even if it's the EXACT same product, they get the model number changed by one character. Minimizes price wars and price matching. It's the best they can do to manipulate free market and competition which keeps prices low. They leave it up to the manufacturers to deal with competition and pricing.

Many products aren't even "re-sold" by Lowes and HD. Some are literally on consignment. Many big ticket items are sold at or near cost to HD, and in return, compensated for prime shelf space.

I work for a grocery store and it's the same thing, cereal companies, pop companies, chip companies, they pay for the shelf space, a few years ago General Mills bought most of the aisle so my poor captain crunch got reduced to only a small facing.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now that the box stores have you hooked, you're getting most of your tools and materials from them. They can dictate pricing to the tool manufacturers and have driven most of the local lumber yards, hardware stores and supply houses out of business.

Phase one of the takeover is complete.

Now they are getting their contractor licences. Your business is next on the kill list ;)