Seeking advice cordless screwdriver or impact

Johnson

Hello everyone.

I currently assemble things like grills and wheel barrow for a living. It's not glamorous but it pays the bills for now. It involves lots and lots of screws, and the cordless impact I have now (Rigid 18v X4) works great for most things but it's a little over powered for the detail work if you know what I mean. I'm looking for something with a 1/4" bit holder (quick swap) and a clutch or impact, to drive screws with. I want it to be small, the smaller the better. I don't mind if it's a right angle but I would probably prefer if it isn't, unless it's very compact. It must be impact or clutched so I have a little leeway at the end of the drive. 

I have no experience with electric screwdrivers so I thought I'd ask some people in the know. I don't really have a lot to spend, but as this is my livelihood and I'm payed commission I'll spend the money for a professional quality tool that will enhance my productivity. 

Thanks very much. 

Requirements -

*cordless screw driver/impact

*1/4" quick swap bit holder

*zero to low kickback

*small, lightweight, and compact

*batteries that can be changed out

*battery charger

Bonuses -

*long battery life or quick charging batteries

*good warranty 

*long tool life

You might take a look at the Milwaukee M12 impact. Bosch also makes a good 12v impact driver. I personally would opt for the impact driver over the cordless screwdriver.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

If you check your local home depot, you may be able to find a milwaukee m12 set of screwdriver and impact driver for $79.  They were recently on clearance and may be gone by now.  Best of both worlds.  The m12 batteries seem to last forever.  The set comes with two batteries and a charger so you could charge one while working the other.  

Ridgid also makes an drill and impact driver drill 12v set ($149) with Lifetime Service Agreement you could get battery replacement for free. They also sell the drill without the impact driver and two batteries for around $79.  You could get a bit adapter for the drill and swap out 1/4" hex bits at will.  

Bosch also has great 12v options.  I think they have a screwdriver with 1/4" chuck ($99), but their impact driver ($129) is really compact and does serious work.  Bosch tools are very well made (not that ridgid and milwaukee aren't).  For both and two batteries they run about $150

I guess what I'm saying is that each major tool brand makes something that will do what you are looking for.  If Compact is most important, I'd go Bosch impact driver.  It is really short (front to back), a variable speed trigger and has three lights around the chuck. If you can get one in a set with a screwdriver, you'd be set for delicate or bigger jobs. 

Thanks for the rapid responses. 

The M12 series seems like checking out and I've had great success with Milwaukee tools in the past.

I was looking at a few screwdrivers like the Hitachi DB3DL2 3.6V, but I have no experience with smaller drivers like this and don't know if it would have the power to stand up to constant use, or torque the screws enough. It probably does but I haven't had experience with small drivers, or Hitachi. 

I looked at a similar one from Dewalt but I've no real love for Dewalt tools. 

Thanks again. 

I've actually reconsidered the impact bit after some research and would rather have a clutch with auto stop so I don't worry about putting too much torque on the screws. My goal is zip zip zip. 

The Milwaukee 2101 series looks like a good fit.

I'm just hesitant to take the plunge and buy one with no hands on. So, if you've used one and loved it or hated it let me know please.

DEWALT DCF680N2 8V Max Gyroscopic looks good too. 

I'm more than willing to consider any other suggestions put forth.

Thanks once again, you've all been great and I'll check back in the morning.

milwaukee 2101, if you wrote the # correctly, is an older screwdriver that i would personally stay away from. it isnt any cheaper than the m12, and the platform seems dead. it is nice that the handle can be adjusted, so based on your particular situation it might be a good fit, but generally speaking the m12 is leaps and bounds better.

i would go for the drill/driver over the screwdriver for the added power and functionality, but if you truly want a quick change option for bits without having to use a holder than the screwdriver is really nice. impact is just too much for what you want to do, and its really not that easy to control the trigger for delicate work.

• Like 1

i'll also add that even though i'm a milwaukee junkie, there are other 12v tools from makita, bosch, and even ridgid that should work great for your needs. in my experience buying a kit with a couple of tools is a much better value than buying just one tool, but you know your budget. For example, HD sells all 4 of those brands in a 2-tool kit with a couple of batteries and case, with each running between $100-$130, and thats the regular price. i wouldnt bother with premium features like brushless because it doesnt sound like you need all that extra capability.

i know from personal experience that the milwaukee batteries, even the standard slim packs, provide exceptional runtime for light duty work. no idea about the other brands in that regard, but the ridgid warranty is the best in the business and they'll replace your batteries forever if they wear out.

if i were you, i would just go to HD and try out the different brands to see what "feels" best to you since they are fairly comparable in price when not on sale.

I actually work at five different HD's a week assembling products. 

I have a Ridgid kit already so I'm not looking for extra tools. - This one is like my kit - http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Hyper-Lithium-Ion-Combo-Kit-with-18-Volt-JobMax-Console-5-Piece-R9651-862004/204100855#product_description

I also have a M18 Milwaukee cordless hammer drill that I've used for many hundreds of hours, very hard use. I've been very satisfied with it's reliability and that makes me lean towards Milwaukee. 

I use the impact for everything at the moment but it takes a bit of fine trigger control. It's great for things like wheel barrows and patio sets. The reason I'm leaning towards a clutched system is so I don't have to be careful sinking screws, I can just blast them down and let the clutch handle the whole not snapping the head off the screw thing.  

I'm looking at cordless electric screwdrivers with a clutch system for maneuverability and reduced weight but I'm concerned with torque and rpm. (Rather ignorant in the realm of electric screwdrivers, lots of reading hasn't looked favorable for the smaller ones. )

It doesn't seem that anyone here has a lot of experience with the smaller ones or the smaller ones just flat out suck. I looked at the M12 one today that already has the 1/4" hex bit holder and the clutch. There is a pretty solid chance I'll end up buying it as it's substantially lighter than my impact. I also think it would be able to keep up with 50-60 hours a week in use with me. Not constant of course, I have to stop to position things, open boxes, unpack. I get paid next Friday and I'll probably report back on what I bought, and how it's working for me sometime the week after that, if ya'll are interested. Or life might throw a new and exciting money sink at me as it's so found of doing and then I'll have to wait a bit longer. *crosses fingers, don't you dare world.. mundane, boring... yes*

Thanks yet again everyone. I really wasn't sure what I'd run into when I got the idea to google for power tool forums, but you all have been great. 

• Like 1

Yeah I think the M12 Fuel Screw Driver will suit your needs well.

- Light Weight

- Long Run Time

- Precise clutch for detailed work / wont strip screws

- One handed bit changing

I almost bought the same thing about a week ago but in the end I decided on the M12 Fuel Impact Driver because it came with a free M12 Hackzall. I still plan on getting the M12 Fuel Screw Driver for sinking screws in cabinets and hinges. I gotta say though, the M12 Fuel Impact driver has 2 speeds. On speed one, its really easy to sink screws without over torquing them

I actually work at five different HD's a week assembling products.

I have a Ridgid kit already so I'm not looking for extra tools. - This one is like my kit - http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Hyper-Lithium-Ion-Combo-Kit-with-18-Volt-JobMax-Console-5-Piece-R9651-862004/204100855#product_description

I also have a M18 Milwaukee cordless hammer drill that I've used for many hundreds of hours, very hard use. I've been very satisfied with it's reliability and that makes me lean towards Milwaukee.

I use the impact for everything at the moment but it takes a bit of fine trigger control. It's great for things like wheel barrows and patio sets. The reason I'm leaning towards a clutched system is so I don't have to be careful sinking screws, I can just blast them down and let the clutch handle the whole not snapping the head off the screw thing.

I'm looking at cordless electric screwdrivers with a clutch system for maneuverability and reduced weight but I'm concerned with torque and rpm. (Rather ignorant in the realm of electric screwdrivers, lots of reading hasn't looked favorable for the smaller ones. )

It doesn't seem that anyone here has a lot of experience with the smaller ones or the smaller ones just flat out suck. I looked at the M12 one today that already has the 1/4" hex bit holder and the clutch. There is a pretty solid chance I'll end up buying it as it's substantially lighter than my impact. I also think it would be able to keep up with 50-60 hours a week in use with me. Not constant of course, I have to stop to position things, open boxes, unpack. I get paid next Friday and I'll probably report back on what I bought, and how it's working for me sometime the week after that, if ya'll are interested. Or life might throw a new and exciting money sink at me as it's so found of doing and then I'll have to wait a bit longer. *crosses fingers, don't you dare world.. mundane, boring... yes*

Thanks yet again everyone. I really wasn't sure what I'd run into when I got the idea to google for power tool forums, but you all have been great.

If you are using one that much, I wouldn't even consider getting anything other than a brushless tool.

I have the Milwaukee M12 Fuel screwdriver and it is great. It sounds like what you are looking for. It's very strong and has two speeds just like the M12 Fuel Hammer Drill.

The reason I recommended the impact earlier is you said you wanted a tool with zero kickback. If thIs is important to you the impact will have less. The M12 Fuel impact is very easy to control on mode 1.