Right drill for the job.

Turner85

So I was fixing some 3x2 treated timber to an old block wall during the week using 7.5mm concrete screws. I was pre drilling with a new 6mm hilti sds bit in a hilti sds drill then trying to drive the screws with the dewalt 886 brushed impact but found it struggled and got really hot after just a couple of screws. Am I asking too much of the drill, should I be using the likes of the dcd995 for this type of job. I've attached a picture of the fixing so people know what I'm on about

I'd probably use the hammer. That's still 1.5mm of clearance the impact has to make up. I used my Dewalt DCD985 to shoot a lot of large tapcons in. I pre drilled with the hammer and used my DCF885 to drive them in without problem, attaching several 2x4s to make the partial wall in my shop so I'm not sure what the problem your having is but maybe you just need a larger diameter bit for the fasteners? My impact and hammer got pretty hot during the whole process but that was quite a bit of work. Not so hot that I couldn't handle the tool, just they were working.

I'd probably use the hammer. That's still 1.5mm of clearance the impact has to make up. I used my Dewalt DCD985 to shoot a lot of large tapcons in. I pre drilled with the hammer and used my DCF885 to drive them in without problem, attaching several 2x4s to make the partial wall in my shop so I'm not sure what the problem your having is but maybe you just need a larger diameter bit for the fasteners? My impact and hammer got pretty hot during the whole process but that was quite a bit of work. Not so hot that I couldn't handle the tool, just they were working.

I'm thinking maybe it was just a tough wall maybe. The recommended diameter drill bit was 6mm on the screw box and as mentioned it was brand new so not an issue of the hole been undersized. I cleaned them out good too, just once I feel my drill getting hot at all I put it down to cool. I've broke a few in my time over doing it. I ended up switching the chuck out on the hilti and driving the screws in with that. No safety chuck though and it kicked out a few times so instead of using it again I'd rather invest in a drill designed for this type of driving.

Impacts rally quickly starts to struggle when the Load gets too tough.

A larger impact or my prefered choiche, a high power drill (preferable) with a handle Would do the trick when you don't want to make the load easier.

Even tough impacts are the way to go, the drill takes on every demanding challenge with ease. Even the 280nm compact impact wrench gota bite the dust sometimes with lag screws.