Soldering kit do u guys suggest?

Bigmikez

Hey crew i wanted to get ur opinion on soldering kits I'm looking for one soon as my buddy gave me a milwaukee Hammerdrill that I think needs the brushes changed out so I wanna pick one up to have for anything else that could pop up needing soldering done. Thanks in advance guys!

My Dad is an electronic technician, grew up watching him soldering regularly. One thing he always points out to me about a nice iron is when it comes with a stand and variable power control. Due to this I kind of like the Weller WLC100, which fits my needs more as a DIY and someone that doesn't solder constantly. It's just nice to adjust the amount of power you need and have somewhere to set the iron without having to worry about burning a table or what not. The other thing I like is how there is a place built in for the sponge cleaning pad.

Hey Mike!

I do a lot of soldering on circuit boards. This is the soldering Iron I got. It works very well, it has variable temp control and the iron heats up quick.

Hakko FX-888D

I highly recommend it.

fa0f14ebe7354c5090acc20df3282d75.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hakko makes excellent soldering irons.  Mine heats very quickly and holds temperature very well even with fairly large joints.  Of course at that price you can buy a new drill.

If you just want something just to re-solder some brushes you'll do fine with any cheap soldering iron from Amazon.

Edit:  Well you guys beat me to it.  I have the same one as NaluRash.  Then again half the people I know use those.

I have a model #64-2055 from radio shack. It is nothing special but it gets the job done. I bought it for about $15 to repair a Samsung flatscreen tv my Dad was going to throw away. He told me if I could fix it I could have it. About $20 dollars later an 800 dollar TV was mine. I am not a big soldering guy but if I can repair rather than pitch, I give it a go.

My Dad is an electronic technician, grew up watching him soldering regularly. One thing he always points out to me about a nice iron is when it comes with a stand and variable power control. Due to this I kind of like the Weller WLC100, which fits my needs more as a DIY and someone that doesn't solder constantly. It's just nice to adjust the amount of power you need and have somewhere to set the iron without having to worry about burning a table or what not. The other thing I like is how there is a place built in for the sponge cleaning pad.

I have that one and it does pretty good.

I would like to have one like the NaluRush posted.

Hey Mike!

I do a lot of soldering on circuit boards. This is the soldering Iron I got. It works very well, it has variable temp control and the iron heats up quick.

Hakko FX-888D

I highly recommend it.

I am going to second Nalu on this one.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks crew I knew I could depend on u guys to lead me to the right one now I just have to make a decision I like the hakko but sadly it's out of my budget right now:( I'm gonna c where I can squeeze some funds ;) Thanks crew!!

If needing something on the less cost side to get you by the Weller WLC100 40 watt soldering station is a nice rig much better than the whimpy 15 watters......under $40

post-51163-0-69029500-1437415342_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Mike!

Hakko FX-888D

I highly recommend it.

I agree with this soldering iron hakkos are really you ceramic heating elements heat up quick and for solder I would use 60/40 rosin core solder I don't like to use lead free as it doesn't heat up quickly and it doesn't give me nice joints. Buy a hakko and 60/40 rosin core solder. This stuff works well for me

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

My old Weller is still kicking after 20+ years, the temperature is determined by which tips you use.  I found a guy that sells various tips for $4 each, and only charges standard USPS letter rates. The blue handle tool that is in the picture is a titanium pointer tool, that is used to hold parts, titanium is used, because it does not corrode. 

-Steven

• Like 1

I never was much good at soldering anybody have any good tips and tricks?

I'm curios myself. I get by, but I've certainly not perfected the art. I can tell you this though, once you start soldering wire connections, you'll never want to crimp one again.

Weller or hakko should serve you well. I have a Weller WES51 analog soldering station. I also have a Weller SP40NKUS with led lights which is nice for smaller stuff. 

Practice makes perfect on soldering like someone mentioned above. I remember doing surface mount soldering and such in college labs.

So I posted about buying a soldering kit but as always life gets in the way bills school clothes blah blah blah so I hadn't been looking but I got a message from a friend on here by the name of Nicholas Shetley who hooked a brotha up!! I just wanna say Thanks bro and I really appreciated it man This crew is the Best damn crew anyone could ever be apart of!!!! T.I.A#1!!!!!!!

• Like 1

So I posted about buying a soldering kit but as always life gets in the way bills school clothes blah blah blah so I hadn't been looking but I got a message from a friend on here by the name of Nicholas Shetley who hooked a brotha up!! I just wanna say Thanks bro and I really appreciated it man This crew is the Best damn crew anyone could ever be apart of!!!! T.I.A#1!!!!!!!

That is really cool man. Congrats BigMikeZ and that's cool of you Nicholas! It's good to be crew!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk