Good Cop Stories

Nalu Rash

I know that cops often get a bad rep but they are not all bad.

Case in point is this ticket I received a while back. 

This is part of a post I did on Reddit a long time ago.

Backstory:

I lived in a highly congested area. Parking was very hard to find, but there was a small spot that could fit a car near my old apartment. Sure, it was illegal to park there, but people often did anyway's. 

6gPGdbv.jpg

Please share any good cop stories with the crew here.

Maybe you were drunk and he let you go or something

• Like 2

My uncle restores old cars as a hobby. Depending on whether he finds a numbers matching car or not, he either restores the car or he "upgrades" the non numbers matching cars. (He does some beautiful frame off restorations)

Anyway, he always let me drive whatever new restoration he had whenever I came to visit. In this particular instance, I was driving a 69 Chevelle with a 500 in.³, 500 hp crate motor. I had just picked up some Taco Bell and I Was cutting through a Kmart parking lot to head home when a police officer pulled his car in front of mine. After I came to a stop. He pulled up alongside me and commented on how nice the car was.I told him my uncle had restored it and that I was just out cruising and enjoying the car as they didn't make them like this anymore. At that point, the police officer proceeded to take his Swisher cigar out of his mouth and he said to me "son, they never made him like that..you have a good evening and be safe,". then he drove off.

• Like 1

Here is a bizarre police story involving me, august 1999, I was helping a buddy that owned a used car dealership we would travel to Toronto Canada from our home town about 16 hour drive. We would go and buy 6-8 vehicles from the auction and load them up on a carhauler with 1 spare .....one of us would drive back. well this particular time I ended up driving a White 1998 Ford aero star van. we had dealer plates so I only needed one in the back of the van. It was a turn around trip so I headed out for home by myself I got about half way home near Sault st. Marie and it was close to 3AM ( been driving since 4AM the morning before) so I looked around to see where I could pull off the road for a quick rest. I drove into a Provincial Park. there was a sign that said $1000 fine for parking over night in parking lot. So I backed the van in behind a tree line and went in the back of the van and made a makeshift bed across the bench seat. I was about an hour and a half from the USA / Canadian border......Well unknown to me in Sault st Marie on the American side that same night, a guy went into work at a newspaper place and shot and killed 3 co-workers........yup you guessed it he was last seen heading to  the Canadian border......driving a White late model ford van Dark brown hair, medium build and a mustache......well you will never guess just like me.............I was woken up at around 7:15 AM with about 20 cops all with their guns drawn at the van asking for my ID while they are waking me up..............my first thought was holey shit do they ever take this parking over night serious.........as it was after I almost shit my pants pulled out of the van slammed against the van and frisked they seen I wasn't the guy..........then they asked why did you park like you did especially without a front plate....( i guess you could only see the front of the van and it looked like it was trying to be hidden) I said because I didn't want a $1000 fine.........they laughed.......I can laugh about it now too but I was never so scared in my life!.....they got the guy and he never even crossed the border......

• Like 1

My uncle restores old cars as a hobby. Depending on whether he finds a numbers matching car or not, he either restores the car or he "upgrades" the non numbers matching cars. (He does some beautiful frame off restorations)

Anyway, he always let me drive whatever new restoration he had whenever I came to visit. In this particular instance, I was driving a 69 Chevelle with a 500 in.³, 500 hp crate motor. I had just picked up some Taco Bell and I Was cutting through a Kmart parking lot to head home when a police officer pulled his car in front of mine. After I came to a stop. He pulled up alongside me and commented on how nice the car was.I told him my uncle had restored it and that I was just out cruising and enjoying the car as they didn't make them like this anymore. At that point, the police officer proceeded to take his Swisher cigar out of his mouth and he said to me "son, they never made him like that..you have a good evening and be safe,". then he drove off.

Man what a nice car. American Muscle cars from the 60's are classic. I've overheard similar stories where a cop pulls someone over just to chat about their car. Thanks for sharing this man

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Here is a bizarre police story involving me, august 1999, I was helping a buddy that owned a used car dealership we would travel to Toronto Canada from our home town about 16 hour drive. We would go and buy 6-8 vehicles from the auction and load them up on a carhauler with 1 spare .....one of us would drive back. well this particular time I ended up driving a White 1998 Ford aero star van. we had dealer plates so I only needed one in the back of the van. It was a turn around trip so I headed out for home by myself I got about half way home near Sault st. Marie and it was close to 3AM ( been driving since 4AM the morning before) so I looked around to see where I could pull off the road for a quick rest. I drove into a Provincial Park. there was a sign that said $1000 fine for parking over night in parking lot. So I backed the van in behind a tree line and went in the back of the van and made a makeshift bed across the bench seat. I was about an hour and a half from the USA / Canadian border......Well unknown to me in Sault st Marie on the American side that same night, a guy went into work at a newspaper place and shot and killed 3 co-workers........yup you guessed it he was last seen heading to the Canadian border......driving a White late model ford van Dark brown hair, medium build and a mustache......well you will never guess just like me.............I was woken up at around 7:15 AM with about 20 cops all with their guns drawn at the van asking for my ID while they are waking me up..............my first thought was holey shit do they ever take this parking over night serious.........as it was after I almost shit my pants pulled out of the van slammed against the van and frisked they seen I wasn't the guy..........then they asked why did you park like you did especially without a front plate....( i guess you could only see the front of the van and it looked like it was trying to be hidden) I said because I didn't want a $1000 fine.........they laughed.......I can laugh about it now too but I was never so scared in my life!.....they got the guy and he never even crossed the border......

Wow comp, that's straight out of a movie lol! Thank goodness they didn't start shooting at you

A few years back, I lived in New Mexico.  I worked IT in a hospital in Albuquerque and would often get called into fix a server problem at odd hours.  Well one night, I got called in and spent the better part of six hours on a Saturday night working in the ER;  I got finished around 3 AM.  I lived probably 20 miles north of town, so I had a lot of highway driving ahead of me.  So there I am, 3 am on a Sunday morning and I was driving my 94 Cobra - the only parts of which that were still stock were the body panels.  So I obviously decide that I need to get home a bit faster than was strictly legal, or really even advisable.  Well, I blew past a state trooper sitting at an exit ramp and it's entirely possible that I was doing around 135 or so.  Let's just say that he was really far behind me before the lights came on, so I pulled over to wait for him.  I think he was surprised that I had stopped because had I decided just to gun it and pick a random exit in the middle of the desert, he never would have found me.  So anyway, it turns out, he's a car guy!  Woot!  He gets out and looks over the car and asks me what I've done to it and where in the hell I was going in such a hurry.  After explaining that I had just spent my Saturday night working in the ER (I didn't bother to mention that I wasn't a doctor), he said "Well, I'm not going to arrest you tonight, but you do know that I have to give you a ticket, right?"  I said sure and got off with 15 over the limit and a warning not to do it again, which was a hell of lot better than 90 days in jail and a revoked license for reckless driving.

• Like 1

that reminds me of a time in the winter, my half ton truck was loaded with my snow machine on the back,  i turned right onto a main street, that was slightly covered with fresh falling snow....well I gave it a bit to much gas and slid into a fishtail and almost lost it but correct it and straightened out well unknown to me a cop was coming down a hill the opposite way and seen the whole thing .....he spun around and pulled me over.....gets me to sit in the back of the cruizer while he checked my vitals .......then he says what you got covered up there .....I say a 650 indy current year machine at the time....he just about jumped out of his seat......he got so excited .....can we see it blah blah blah.....well it was lucky for me he was into polaris snow machines cause he said I should give you  careless driving charge but not gonna do that to a fellow polaris guy......

another time was in summer, I had my 1971 chevelle out and turned right on a street about 800ft and gave it snot...I passed the radar gun at 97mph. he says what the hell are you doing going that fast the street I said I just turned onto the street at brook st about 800ft up the road....he says Bullshit there is no way you just turned on brook st and got to 97MPH I said I did, he says what the hell you got under the hood....I say a 396CID with aluminum head isadarion valves roller rockers 850 holley triple barrel....blah blah ...he say I got to see this do it again.....??????/ haha needless to say didn't get a ticket.....

• Like 1

Once when I was living in Chicago I pulled a cop car out of the snow.

There was a parking lot right up off the street where we live. I was coming home from work at 330 in the morning. I get out of my truck at home and hear a car just revving it's engine. I am like what in the world. I look up the street an see a cars headlights facing the wrong way. I drive up there not realizing it was a cop. I just sorta look an like need help. He was pissed off at himself an didn't want his fellow officers to find out.

Few minutes later an a two strap he was out of the parking lot.

• Like 1

My friend was driving about 90 down the road and a cop passed him going the other direction. My friend slowed the car to a reasonable speed but the cop turned around and stopped him. The officer asked him if he knew how fast he was clocked at. My friend responded, " you mean before or after you saw me?" The cop laughed and let him go.

• Like 1

Once when I was living in Chicago I pulled a cop car out of the snow.

There was a parking lot right up off the street where we live. I was coming home from work at 330 in the morning. I get out of my truck at home and hear a car just revving it's engine. I am like what in the world. I look up the street an see a cars headlights facing the wrong way. I drive up there not realizing it was a cop. I just sorta look an like need help. He was pissed off at himself an didn't want his fellow officers to find out.

Few minutes later an a two strap he was out of the parking lot.

What kind of truck did you use to tow him out?

What kind of truck did you use to tow him out?

08 Silverado 3500 hd 4x4. She did it no problems. She just got done snow plowing for 6 hours to.

He wasn't stuck bad like in a ditch but enough he wasn't going anywhere on his own. Cop car was a Dodge Charger an the snow was up to the bottom. Building was just built an wasn't being used yet, so lot didn't get plowed that winter. Cops would pull in there behind a fence all the time an radar oncoming traffic but ime not sure why he pulled in if the lot was covered in snow.

• Like 1

08 Silverado 3500 hd 4x4. She did it no problems. She just got done snow plowing for 6 hours to.

He wasn't stuck bad like in a ditch but enough he wasn't going anywhere on his own. Cop car was a Dodge Charger an the snow was up to the bottom. Building was just built an wasn't being used yet, so lot didn't get plowed that winter. Cops would pull in there behind a fence all the time an radar oncoming traffic but ime not sure why he pulled in if the lot was covered in snow.

Thats a funny story. I bet that cop must have been really embarrassed.

I've pulled out a couple cars and trucks from the sand here. I'm amazed that people think they can just drive on sand with a 2 wheel drive vehicle. The sand here is soft and deep. Once a guy got stuck with a 4x4 Chevy, tires buried in the sand. I pulled him out, checked his tires, and he didn't lock the hubs lol