Anyone use behr deck over???

WeldfabNeil

Parents are looking at re finishing there deck. I gotta replace some boards and a flower box. It hasn't been stained in a while so it needs some love. We were considering a product like behr deck over. Rust olium restore or Olympic rescue it are similar so those were thinking of to.

Any feedback on witch one is best or how not to do it or just any input at all?

I've heard good and bad things from people who've used it. I think the problem is it's not magic and peoples decks are in varied states of decay. Some mild wear and decay it's probably great but if it's rotting and structurally a mess thick paint isn't gonna help.

• Like 1

It really does not matter how good a deck stain product is, if you don't do the proper prep work before applying.  At very least, I think a good pressure wash is a good start.  I have helped my brother with his desk many of times, and because of that when we were looking for our first house, I made sure there was not a wood deck LOL.  But we do use Behr, and get pretty good results that last a few years before having to do it all again.  A key thing I would like to point out, he does absolutely ZERO maintenance to the deck LOL.  I tell him it would be a little but easier on us, if you at least pressure washed it at least once a year.

-Steven

• Like 1

I've used Rustolium restore, great product. Only thing I'd say is that if you have a lot of foot traffic, it will stain badly so pick a darker, earth tone color. My client chose a clay orange color and it showed soil very obviously. 

As stated prep is king. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys.

They decided instead after some internet research there just gonna stain it sometime before winter. Also it's cheaper so that's nice.

Parents do have plans for a larger deck with a gazebo. That deck would be using composite decking. It would probably be a few years from now as other projects are more important. Still have a lot of work in the basement to get done.

Thanks for the input guys.

They decided instead after some internet research there just gonna stain it sometime before winter. Also it's cheaper so that's nice.

Parents do have plans for a larger deck with a gazebo. That deck would be using composite decking. It would probably be a few years from now as other projects are more important. Still have a lot of work in the basement to get done.

If you end up going the composite route, go the extra mile and do hidden fasteners. It's so, so worth it. End results are flawless.

I used to work for Behr. I worked on the robots that made/filled paint. I can tell you that the quality control is very strict. I have watched the lab guys perform the battery of test on each batch. I have seen the scientific rankings of the test and Behr comes up on top in almost every one. But like I said, I used to work for them so I might be bias. ;)