Wilton Bash 6.5" vise and 4lb sledge combo

DiverDn

• 4 months later...

I looked at that one too a while back. I was in the market for both a hammer and a vise. I was told by some pretty knowledgeable guys that the vise is not significantly better than your Harbor Freight or box store Chinese vise. Wilton has a giant chasm in quality between their US made stuff and the Chinese imports.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

In most cases quality really doesn't matter, but I've seen plenty of vises where the front jaw sheared off from over tightening.  Finally broke a vise that had previously survived someone pounding on a part in it with an 8 lb sledge, and the replacement (Bessey) lasted less than a day because someone just over tightened it without even a cheater bar.  Had to have a talk with the guys about what vises should and shouldn't be used for after that.

Whaaat, If the vice dies without even a cheater bar, either that vice must be defect/very bar quality or that man must have been a beast? :razz:

Even my cheap vice have had no problem with a cheater bar, and a bent "tightening rod" as a result. :P

I think some use a weak handle so you can't put enough force to break a jaw.  I swear it's like they make some tools from cheese now.

These vises are a 20,000 psi cast as opposed to 60,000 on the USA vises. How long they last depends on who's shop they're in.

I know guys who use these vises for 20 years without issue, but I also know guys who could fuck one up in a week.

There is no substitute for a good, 60,000 psi, ductile iron vise like the Wilton Tradesman.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, figureitout said:

Now here's a steal on a real USA made, 60,000 lb. ductile iron Wilton and BASH hammer. $335 plus shipping. http://www.coastaltoolsupply.com/product/WIL-63200A.html

Also on Amazon with a set shipping price, check to see which will come out better for you.60aa174ba2f7d5fea516a6f5d3dde188.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

That is a deal indeed! Great price and a great vise. First time I've ever seen it in black though