What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

5 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

I didn't know they made a 25ft version. Hmmmm

Don't run out and buy one just yet.  I'm not impressed with mine.  Seems overall a little shoddy.  Blade is too flimsy to extend out across a room without twisting, and it won't retract without being coaxed.  After measuring three rooms for carpet I can already feel the coating starting to pill on the bottom of the blade.  I might keep the 16, but the 25 is going back to Amazon.  

Really I don't know what you guys see in these.  I expected a lot better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeyB said:

That's a great stack of lumber you got there bro.

Im splitting seasoned oak, maple and a little of ash. Had a seasoned cord delivered last week. My neighbor and I split the full cord. $100.00 each.

no cars in my garage, no worries about any firewood being thrown into anything of worry. 

This machine is fantastic. I'm glad I went with the 7 ton instead of the 5 ton.

I split some freshly cut 11" thick oak today and the machine didn't flinch.

Money well spent!

That's about half of what I had on hand when I took the shot.  That's all red oak, from a single 160-year-old tree, except for a little bit of ash off to the left.  And more oak from that same tree eventually made it into the stacks too.  The pieces I was splitting had been noodled down, but they were still mostly 12"+ thick.  So don't let anyone make fun of your electric splitter. :)  They don't cycle as fast as a big gasoline unit but they do the job just fine.  Mine is beat to shit by now, and still splits almost anything I put on it.

I sharpened the wedge on mine and it works a little better that way.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Ordered on Monday delivered on Thursday, splitting some firewood for today's activities. What a great little machine this is.

image.jpeg

Hey @MikeyB, that looks like a sweet splitter! I've been considering buying an electric. Did you do much research, something in particular push you to that brand/unit?

21 minutes ago, wildroamer said:

Hey @MikeyB, that looks like a sweet splitter! I've been considering buying an electric. Did you do much research, something in particular push you to that brand/unit?

Todd, I have been back and forth between a hydraulic electric and a kinetic 10 ton fly wheel for a while, i posted a thread  on TIA a couple of weeks ago about buying an electric splitter and The Conductor mentioned the Boss electric spliters. 

I called Log Splitters Direct and the women on the phone convinced me that the Boss 7 ton was the way to go.

Log Splitters are a great company to deal with and I wrote up a review on their website today about them.

i do not have any experience at all with gas or electric log splitters, I just felt I needed one for my needs and I am glad that I picked up, the 

Boss 7 ton...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dwasifar said:

That's about half of what I had on hand when I took the shot.  That's all red oak, from a single 160-year-old tree, except for a little bit of ash off to the left.  And more oak from that same tree eventually made it into the stacks too.  The pieces I was splitting had been noodled down, but they were still mostly 12"+ thick.  So don't let anyone make fun of your electric splitter. :)  They don't cycle as fast as a big gasoline unit but they do the job just fine.  Mine is beat to shit by now, and still splits almost anything I put on it.

I sharpened the wedge on mine and it works a little better that way.

Love it man. I can't wait to work on splitting some fresh oak that my neighbors friend is going to drop off for us. 

Good stuff

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Wow dude that was pretty quick! Love to see this in action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Jimbo, if I could only figure out how to load a video I would post it. Comp and Eric have been helping me out but I can't seem to get it done. 

Ill keep working it on it.

its a pretty powerful machine man. 

1 hour ago, dwasifar said:

Don't run out and buy one just yet.  I'm not impressed with mine.  Seems overall a little shoddy.  Blade is too flimsy to extend out across a room without twisting, and it won't retract without being coaxed.  After measuring three rooms for carpet I can already feel the coating starting to pill on the bottom of the blade.  I might keep the 16, but the 25 is going back to Amazon.  

Really I don't know what you guys see in these.  I expected a lot better.

That was my first thought on the 25ft one. They are a thin tape so if you try and extend them far they flop right over. I rarely need to pull it out past 12 feet.  I also keep a Milwaukee 25 ft and Stanley fatmax 25ft in my box when I need a stiffer or longer tape.  The fast cap is my go to tape though for most of my work.

@wildroamer: I came across Boss a couple years ago when I was toying with the idea of an electric splitter. As always, I did some pretty lengthy reading at the time and was convinced Boss was the way to go. I was looking at the 10 Ton unit back then. 

I decided not to get a splitter because I didn't see myself using it enough to justify it, and I have no 1st hand experience to offer, but if I were buying one today I would go Boss without question. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2016 at 1:13 PM, dwasifar said:

I have a similar unit from Homelite:

splitter.jpg

Here is just a sample of what it's done for me:

oak_stacks_1.jpg

Those little electric splitters are more powerful than you expect.  I wouldn't run it in the garage as you're doing though. Sooner or later it'll throw a log, if you're using a push block, and you don't want your car to be within firing distance when that happens.

What are you splitting there?  It looks flaky, like maybe pearwood.

Damn man, that's a nice stack you have there.

Following the disappointment with the FastCap tapes, I went shopping for the perfect tape measure.  Fortunately I have a Lowe's, a Home Depot, and a Menards right down the street from one another.  I haven't decided on a replacement 25' tape yet, but Menards had a crazy stupid price on these:

IMG_20161227_195636.jpg

Yes folks, you heard that right, only $4.99, I say $4.99, for a two-pack 12' and 16' Stanley LeverLock.  I like the LeverLock design anyway, and for this price I jumped at it.  You should too.

Here is the current stable of tapes:

IMG_20161227_203935.jpg

The funny-looking green one is actually an old Stanley LeverLock from that period where hand tools were all turning Day-Glo orange and green.  (I still have the orange and green screwdrivers that came with it.)  It lost its label years ago.  One day I was feeling artistic and drew that big 25 on it with a Sharpie.  It's been my go-to tape for many years but it's getting a little creaky now, and the hook is bent from a drop.  I've straightened it the best I could but it's still probably about 1/32" off.  The one beside it was intended to replace it a few years ago, but the lever is just too darn sensitive; you can't handle it at all without the tape starting to retract, unless you pick it up by just holding the sides, and who holds a tape that way?  I might ask Stanley if they want to replace it.  And of course the others are the new ones.

For a replacement 25', I was leaning toward the Kobalt at Lowe's.  It's made by Komelon, and it looked really nice in the store - fractional read tape, auto-lock, big hook, nice long 9' standout, metric on the flip side of the tape.  Then I got home and saw the reviews: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-25-ft-Tape-Measure/4640503

So maybe I'll just get a 25' LeverLock to go with other two new ones.

• Like 2

Today's post is only mostly an attempt to make @Conductor562 jealous. 

Got two proto sets of test gauges for forty dollars a piece thanks to you guys. 

Put them in my Proto box. And yes that is a Proto banner in the top that I haven't hung yet.

IMG_20161227_200630_539.jpgIMG_20161227_201425.jpgIMG_20161227_201503.jpg

Very nice! This is the only Proto I own. 9bf602415bd2beeb18f76556326957ba.jpg677d7781fbe6dc88fa2a3397849bd5ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

You got those gauges for $40 apiece ?

If if you were trying to make me jealous you did a damn good job!

I have a Mac compression test set. They are the same as the Proto gauges. Very nice setups and you absolutely stole them!

I have a Proto banner too and mine is already hung ?

You really can't go wrong with Proto tools. 

• Like 4