Footprint Tools ( Pure class)

wayneburgess

I have their marking gauge and sliding t bevel, they seem pretty good. I may try one of there back saws.

I looked at their planes and was not really very impressed. They did look like good workable tools though.

Footprint tools can be purchased in the US from Woodcraft.

http://www.woodcraft.ccom

I have always been impressed with Veritas planes

http://www.veritastools.com/

Bridge City Tool Works makes some interesting tools as well.

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/

• Like 1

I started off with a set of each of the pipe grips 34 years ago, and they have been put on old bolts and nuts and belted with 4 lb lump hammers with 240lb of angry me swinging it, and they are still going strong all these years later.

They last that long, Footprint used to have a service where you could send them in and have them re-furbished.I don't know if that is still going,but mine still just get a wipe with an oil soaked rag every Preston Guild and used and abused every day. :)

I am surprised you don't like the planes because that's the first time anyone I have heard of not sing the praises of the quality.

I am surprised you don't like the planes because that's the first time anyone I have heard of not sing the praises of the quality.

I'm only commenting on how they looked, I don't personally own any Footprint planes. Compared to the Veritas planes, the finish on them did not look as refined. I may be biased by what I own though, I guess it would be kind of like comparing the finish of Snap-on to Proto.

I'm more of the mind that the Veritas are more a shop bound tool where Footprint are a site tool.

I know some pig ugly chippies but they do a bloomin good job. LOL :)

Affinity tools are the distributor in the U.S.A so if anyone wants to get a hands on with these great tools that as I said just last and last then I strongly recommend them.

I think 34 years is a pretty good test of any tool and mine are still going strong.

One thing you can be sure of the quality of the steel in these tools should be top quality with steel production in Sheffield that can be traced back to Robert the Cutler in the year 1297 there can't be many places where it has been produced for 715 years.They should know a thing or two about making tools that last in Sheffield. :)