Milwaukee hand tools

Conductor562

I never noticed that they stopped making them.

I don't think Channellock have made their Grip-Locks (910-C) since the 80s, at least that was when I last remember seeing them in one of my local mom and pop hardware stores in NJ and who knows how long they were there. I believe they first came out in the mid to late 60s. As I recall they were not very good, a real pair of Vice-Grips was a lot nicer tool to work with.

How do you get a better fit and finish than Channellock pliers? A new pair of Channellocks are almost to pretty to use.

Klein is only slightly better on some tools, Channellock equals Klein with most of their newer tools, like their high leverage linemans pliers. The finish on the Kleins appears to have a finer brushed finish on a lot of there other tools. I have had a few Channellocks that have had stiff joints, my latest dykes and fencing tool in particular, whereas with Kleins the action is always super easy. Channellock has Klein beat in the water pump pliers department, The only competition they have there is Knippex. Knippex are better for finer work but are at a disadvantage when it gets down to working in the muck and mud, even packed with grunge the Channellocks can be still be adjusted easily while some of the fancier Knippexs can jamb up. I will ad that both Knippex and Klein have far fewer pliers that can end up pinching your fingers.

I've had a few Channellock pliers that were a little stiff in the joints. I always attributed to the rust proof coating. Never anything a shot of liquid wrench couldn't fix though.

The dykes I have have not loosened up, the fence pliers have started to get broken in. Believe me, I have tried all kinds of cleaners and lubricants.

I don't own any of the new griplocks but my cousin does. I tried them out and they were nice. Didn't use them enough to give a real deep evaluation.

I don't have any of Channellocks pliers with their new bolt less joint, do you recall how the joint felt, was it an improvement?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just got a list of drywall jab saw in my buddys amazon search engine and I am also curious about Irwin protouch Drywall Jab Saw. Does anyone had try this?

The Irwin doesn't stand a chance against a professional tool like one from Marshalltown. Why buy Chinese when you can buy an American tool and keep our people working, especially when we have a better product.

And if you NEED to get a cheap one Harry Epsteins has an American made Great Neck drywall saw for less than $3

The Dewalt 30' tape measure with the 13' standout is awesome.

Old post, I know. Just doing some reading and thought I would respond.

I agree - it's a great tape. I bought one and returned it though because I primarily use these types of tapes (Fat Max) for obtaining vertical, overhead measurements outside (signs). My issue with it was the tip is so large, it acts like a sail in the slightest breeze....the tip is so big, it makes the end of the tape twist. The Fat Max has a narrower hook and is a little more stable under those conditions. I wanted to like the DeWalt, but for me it just wasn't a good fit. If you're doing primarily horizontal measurements, it's a great tape.

I've got several Irwin tools and they're descent tools but as Eco said, they're all China anymore. Marshalltown makes top quality stuff and there's no debate about it. I have the Milwaukee folding jab saw and am very happy with it, but it's a product of China as well. Goldblatt makes a nice jab saw that carries a lifetime warranty. Klein also offers a nice one.

• 5 months later...