Milwaukee hand tools

Conductor562

Is anyone using any of these Milwaukee hand tools? They look nice and appear to be good quality, but then again, so did the Titanic. I bought the folding knife that uses a Sawzall blade and the fastback utility knife and they're both great tools. Is anyone using these tools to make a living? If so, how do they measure up?

funny you should ask. We are posting a review of the folding jab saw today. I have been using it and it very nice. I am using it all next week for drywall. I'll let you know how it hold up. Milwaukee has some very nice hand tools. The piers are awesome and have multiple uses like reaming on the handles. The fastback is awesome. i use it all the time.

• Like 1

It's very apparent that the Milwaukee line of hand tools is geared toward Plumbing/HVAC and Electrical workers where as the Dewalt line is geared more toward framers and general contractors. That kinda seems to be the marketing direction the companies are going as well without actually coming out and saying it. The Dewalt 30' tape measure with the 13' standout is awesome.

Dewalt was bought by Black & Decker in the very early 1960's. A lot of people will tell you it was in the 1990's but that's just not true. Most people weren't familiar with Dewalt until B&D launched the Dewalt line of power tools, so that may be why. A couple years ago Stanley and B&D merged and is now called Stanley Black & Decker though technically B&D is listed as a wholly owned subsidy. So I guess the answer would be that Dewalt is owned by Black & Decker which is owned by Stanley. Porter Cable is also owned by them and it appears they've chosen to market it at a DIY type price point. I don't know about all of their stuff, but from what I'm gathering the quality is suffering a bit. Delta was a B&D brand as well, but I believe they sold it off recently.

From what I've read it looks like B&D purchased ELU in the early 1990's and used a lot of their technology in designing the original Dewalt cordless systems. This caught my attention because I remembered you mentioning ELU in an earlier post. ;)

We had a brand available over here called Elu and they were quality tools.

Then overnight they turned yellow and went crap and that was the birth of Dewalt in the U.K.

I had an Elu flip over saw and a workmate of mine bought the Dewalt and it just wasn't anything like as good.

Elu were a German company and for what seems like an age Dewalt used them as the brains behind the development of new tools because all the Dewalts of the time were identical apart from quality to the Elu.

Dewalt never really did it for me. As I was talking about in previous post, my dad always liked them and I've had several Dewalt products over the years, but I never really cared for the feel of them compared to some of the others. I've got a Dewalt 4 1/2 grinder that has been a real tough nut. It was used when I got it 10 years ago and it's still a workhorse. I've still got the 11 amp recip saw dad bought me years ago but I don't use it much and always find myself reaching for the Milwaukee instead. If it wasn't for the fact that it was a gift I'd have probably given it away a long time ago.

• Like 1

It is a bit mad that some things are branded under different names but are exactly the same depending on which side of the pond you are.

And it seems the majority have many if not all the components made in China to save money.

The best we seem to be able to hope for is that the better brands will keep an eye on the quality of what comes out of these Chinese factories and have good quality control in place.

I was interested to read that the company that owns Milwaukee is based in Hong Kong and also owns Ryobi and A.E.G, Hoover and many others.

But like I said Stanley bringing some of its manufacturing back to the U.K does mean there is hope for the U.S.A too.

We had a brand available over here called Elu and they were quality tools.

Then overnight they turned yellow and went crap and that was the birth of Dewalt in the U.K.

We in the United States had a few interim years when they where branded Elu by Black & Decker.

It is a bit mad that some things are branded under different names but are exactly the same depending on which side of the pond you are.

It's not just across the pond, we have this in the same store, often in fact, particularly in our larger retailers like Home Depot and Walmart.

I wish they would all stick to their parent companies name and just make their tools a different color or something to designate quality.

But like I said Stanley bringing some of its manufacturing back to the U.K does mean there is hope for the U.S.A too

Makita has a plant in the United States, in Buford Georgia. I think Milwaukee is still producing the Sawzall here in the U.S. as well.

Is anyone using any of these Milwaukee hand tools? They look nice and appear to be good quality, but then again, so did the Titanic. I bought the folding knife that uses a Sawzall blade and the fastback utility knife and they're both great tools. Is anyone using these tools to make a living? If so, how do they measure up?

I bought one of their utility knives (tool addict purchase, like I don't have enough utility knives) and am not overly impressed with its quality due to blade wobble. I checked out their tools in the store, and could see no compelling reason to purchase any of them. My folding sawzall blade tools sit in a toolbox unused, for what I use a small saw for (drywall) a standard tool makes a lot more sense than a folder. Use a good dedicated saw like the USG Sheetrock saw and see if it doesn't change your mind as well.

P.S.

Buy 50 Lenox blades get a free folding saw blade holder @ Coastal Tool

The blade storage would be key. I was cutting insulation all day today and would have been nice to be able to have the spare blades in the tool, so I wasn't doing an Easter egg hunt every time I needed a blade. I do love these knives. I have one in my truck, I carry one, one in my shop and one in my tool bag. yes I have a problem.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have experience with the warranty process for these Milwaukee tools? Will distributors simply exchange them like cman at sears?

If you can go to an authorized service center they probably should. Depends a lot on where you go, some stores will, some stores won't.

I've been meaning to try these out, but something about pliers without blue handles forces me outside my comfort zone.

Knipex and Klein have lured me away from Channellocks for a few tools, you really need a pair of Knipexs Pliers Wrench and their mini bolt cutters . Klein makes a slightly better linesmen pliers IMHO. I wouldn't go to far out of my way over them as Channellock are really worthy as well, especially with their new high leverage version and their wire tie pliers as a worthy alternative

Well, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I'm a huge Klein fan but I love Channellock pliers.

Don't get me wrong I have about an equal share of both, they each have their strong points, I more often use my Channellocks when I'm getting down and dirty, as Channellocks slip joints tolerate dirt and grime very well.

I believe they are still making their Klein Lok locking pliers in the USA. Now if we could get Channellock to resurrect their Grip-Lock pliers.