Clean tools

tonylandin

Hey guys just a quick question, what do y'all use to clean your tools? I like to try to keep my tools clean as I'm sure most of y'all do. I try to wipe them off as soon as possible but sometimes oil paint or other substances get up in them and well don't simply wipe off. So... I just want to know what do y'all use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depends on how your using your tool, I find most of my tools are dusts related dirt so just blowing them off with air works for me.....but other types of grime can be a little tricky, varsol perhaps for greasy times....

• Like 1

For the cast iron tables on my table saw and scroll saw, I use Johnsons paste wax, which also keeps them clean and rust free. On my DeWalt power tools, I just wipe them down with blue shop towels after every use.  I am kinda ADD when it comes to the tools in my workshop, I like to keep them looking brand new.

• Like 1

I found a cheap cleaner at a dollar store place it's called "awesome" it seems to work pretty good

That stuff is crazy dude, if you look at the bottle I think it's actually concentrated.

Jimbo

• Like 1

I am pretty particular about keeping my tools clean. I generally just blow them off with the air compressor and hit them with a rag with warm water. Sometimes I use a little Simple Green on the rag for really dirty spots. I then rinse that with a clean wet rag.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hey guys just a quick question, what do y'all use to clean your tools? I like to try to keep my tools clean as I'm sure most of y'all do. I try to wipe them off as soon as possible but sometimes oil paint or other substances get up in them and well don't simply wipe off. So... I just want to know what do y'all use?

I just use plain white cloth to clean a tools.

• Like 1

For metal I clean with WD40, if it's sticky I use Goo Gone. On handles I normally just use soap and water, cleaning that then drying and then cleaning the metal. For power tools, compressed air and maybe a brush.

Brass or steel brushes also work well for stuff that's fighting you.

I like my tools clean as much as I like them organized. I regularly clean the brushes I use to clean tools, projects, whatever. Cleanliness prolongs the life of the tool and the life of the storage in which the tools rest.

• Like 2

Great topic as I've been curious about this as well. Recently I used a drywall cutout tool which was covered in dust after I used it and while blowing it off cleaned the hard plastic portion the rubber overmold was a bit more challenging.

Mr. Clean magic eraser ,extera strength. Good stuff

Millerz

• Like 1

Mr Clean magic eraser extra strength. Wire brush that goes on a drill,steel wool, sand paper, polishing compounds baking soda, vinagar, and wax or wd40 to control rusting.

Mr. Clean magic eraser ,extera strength. Good stuff

Millerz

Millerz

I use to be really good about wiping hand tools down an all that. Now days I ain't to good about it. Every now an then I go through an organize an clean my tools if needed. For hand tools I just use a rag with wd40.

My engine driven welder isn't cosmetically clean but it's taken care of mechanically.

I use my tools, an use them well. They get dirty, especially when working onsite out of your truck.

I use to be really good about wiping hand tools down an all that. Now days I ain't to good about it. Every now an then I go through an organize an clean my tools if needed. For hand tools I just use a rag with wd40.

My engine driven welder isn't cosmetically clean but it's taken care of mechanically.

I use my tools, an use them well. They get dirty, especially when working onsite out of your truck.

This is pretty accurate, I'm terrible at always cleaning off tools, but then I'll go through every so often and clean up, wrap cords back up on the grinder or whatever, scrape caked dirt off shovels, etc.

Then if I've been working with oily equipment, I'll use Hercules wipes, those things are the bomb

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk