Air compressor issue

lemans63

I am using this forum because I do not know if it belongs in another area but here goes.

I have a  Rand 4000 compressor that I have had for maybe 12 years. It has a 3.3 hp motor, 20 gal storage and 10 cfm @40 psi.  The problem is that it is not storing air in the tank.  The gauge reads 0 even after the unit has been running for 5 minutes.  The motor runs fine and the piston seems to be working just fine but no air in the tank.  Anyone have an idea where the problem might be?  Hate to buy a new one if this one can be repaired.  It has never given me any problems until now.  Any thoughts?  Thanks

I am using this forum because I do not know if it belongs in another area but here goes.

I have a  Rand 4000 compressor that I have had for maybe 12 years. It has a 3.3 hp motor, 20 gal storage and 10 cfm @40 psi.  The problem is that it is not storing air in the tank.  The gauge reads 0 even after the unit has been running for 5 minutes.  The motor runs fine and the piston seems to be working just fine but no air in the tank.  Anyone have an idea where the problem might be?  Hate to buy a new one if this one can be repaired.  It has never given me any problems until now.  Any thoughts?  Thanks

all seals still sealing, head gasket per say, does it have water in it?.......can you hear any air coming out as it is turned on?

I read somewhere that the Rand 4000 was manufactured by DeVilbiss. Looking at parts diagrams of their portable units, with your description, gives me the impression that your unit uses reed valves, as opposed to stem valves. It is highly probable that the reed plate has failed and needs to be replaced. In any event, from your description of the problem, you will probably need to disassemble the head to troubleshoot the problem. It could be as simple as a bad O ring, or possibly a jammed check-valve, but most likely a reed has cracked in the valve assembly.

Good-luck.

Hey man, welcome to the forum. I've worked on a lot of different compressors for several years now before switching positions at work, would love to get this up and running for you again.

Does it have a bleed off valve that lets air out whenever the compressor shuts down (like a hissing sound when it shuts off when it was working properly)?

If nothing is obvious, take the head off and start investigating

Hey man, welcome to the forum. I've worked on a lot of different compressors for several years now before switching positions at work, would love to get this up and running for you again.

Does it have a bleed off valve that lets air out whenever the compressor shuts down (like a hissing sound when it shuts off when it was working properly)?

If nothing is obvious, take the head off and start investigating

yes but nothing now.  I will start investigating.  Thanks for your reply.

I read somewhere that the Rand 4000 was manufactured by DeVilbiss. Looking at parts diagrams of their portable units, with your description, gives me the impression that your unit uses reed valves, as opposed to stem valves. It is highly probable that the reed plate has failed and needs to be replaced. In any event, from your description of the problem, you will probably need to disassemble the head to troubleshoot the problem. It could be as simple as a bad O ring, or possibly a jammed check-valve, but most likely a reed has cracked in the valve assembly.

Good-luck.

Thanks for your comments!  I will look into all of your suggestions.

Good-luck.

all seals still sealing, head gasket per say, does it have water in it?.......can you hear any air coming out as it is turned on?

no water in it.  I do not feel or hear any air leaking someplace so perhaps it is an o ring issue.