Metabo Discontinued from Lowes???

Marcv76

So I found some cordless Metabo tools in Lowes Long Beach California. They were already marked for clearance because the tool manager said they weren't selling. He stated people weren't familiar with the name and thought they cost too much. He said one gentleman actually asked him if Metabo was a African tool company. I laughed and cried a little at how ignorant people are, and how they demand price over quality. He said that they were clearing them out and wouldn't be stocking them anymore. I was able to pick up a compact drill, impact driver, reciprocating saw, circular saw, 2-2ah batteries and charger for $440 which was a good deal. I though the acquisition of Metabo by Hitachi would be good because of the Lowes Distribution and would help them break into the American market, but I don't know if that the case anymore. 

i dont know, america has the reputation of price over everthing else, having been self-employed for the last 30 years, i see it all the time, and with the clients i work with, there is no reason for it, its all a game, i have had doctors tell me if i can drop my estimate 100.00 i got the job. if we have to pay sticker price for any thing then we want somthing free to go with it. metabo is better off staying out of the box stores, they would have to cheapen there line to much to compete with the cheapened tools we are buying now

They were going to have issues to get people to make the jump into Metabo the prices are high and other tool brands have sales and buy one get a free tool or battery deal all the time. I hate to say it people are not buying cordless tools for life the technology changes so much now that on average people are keeping it what 5 years probably it they are into tools or using them professionally. It also makes sense as that's when the batteries start to fail.

6 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

To me it's the name, nothing says cheap chinese chite like "Metabo". Probably great tools and all but...they need to rebrand ASAP. 

That's because you've not been exposed to them. Someone in Europe might say the same thing about Dewalt or Milwaukee. Interestingly, all three brands were founded in the same year. Metabo is high-quality German-manufactured gear, which is more than Dewalt or Milwaukee can claim.

My point being, if you'd been exposed to the Metabo name (and products) as much as you had the American brands, you wouldn't say something like this...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BK13 said:

Never saw any here. I'm still pissed they dumped Knipex.

Some posted(not here) about two months ago that some Home Depots are starting to stock Knipex. Don't recall seeing them on HD online until recently: http://www.homedepot.com/s/knipex?NCNI-5

Metabo hasn't made it to Lowe's in Tampa, FL either.

Metabo just needs to have better marketing in North America. I am a complete tool junky and was very familiar with them but the average shopper is not and they are just looking at best prices between the red, yellow, and blue brands. If they are trying to enter a new market they need to consider doing a little more PR like having in store representatives like Hilti use to do in Home Depot and Milwaukee does now. Answer questions for people, show off the tool, and tell them why they are so good and why your paying more. I want them to be successful in this market so we are given more of their tools. I bought their cordless miter saw when they first one came out in Europe and loved it, but I ended up selling due to the inability to get blades with the European arbor size here. Now that they are offering an american version to accept our blades I am back on board again. Dewalt, Makita, and milwaukee do make great tools but Metabo's (and Hilti and Festool) are a few levels above them in quality. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Marcv76 said:

Metabo just needs to have better marketing in North America. I am a complete tool junky and was very familiar with them but the average shopper is not and they are just looking at best prices between the red, yellow, and blue brands. If they are trying to enter a new market they need to consider doing a little more PR like having in store representatives like Hilti use to do in Home Depot and Milwaukee does now. Answer questions for people, show off the tool, and tell them why they are so good and why your paying more. I want them to be successful in this market so we are given more of their tools. I bought their cordless miter saw when they first one came out in Europe and loved it, but I ended up selling due to the inability to get blades with the European arbor size here. Now that they are offering an american version to accept our blades I am back on board again. Dewalt, Makita, and milwaukee do make great tools but Metabo's (and Hilti and Festool) are a few levels above them in quality. 

Their new parent company, Hitachi, suffers from the same problem, along with just ugly-ass design. Hitachi makes great tools but they're ugly and people just walk past them.

Menards has some knipex and they run sales here and there they have the 10" plier wrench for like 42ish on sale right now, I feel like I've seen it at HD plait probably not they have channel lock and crescent stuff. They don't have the greater hand tools if it's not husky or Milwaukee, or even Dewalt.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanna Metabo grinder so bad. The kind of places that sell Metabo are the kind of places that sell hilti and supply major industrial companies. Lowe's is a home improvement store. I don't know who thought that would be a good idea to sell them there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stercorarius said:

I wanna Metabo grinder so bad. The kind of places that sell Metabo are the kind of places that sell hilti and supply major industrial companies. Lowe's is a home improvement store. I don't know who thought that would be a good idea to sell them there.

Because only selling at industrial supply stores limits your distribution and eyeballs on your product. Hilti can survive on the fact that the majority of their customers are big corporations huge buys of tools for large products. Not saying small guys don't buy Hilti but that's not their market. Metabo is a nice player like Festool, but I think they want to break out of that are. Metabo wants a bigger market share that's why they opened that plant in China to produce their tools.

You can order some Metabo tools through Amazon and CPO Metabo. You can also order through Grainger but they seem to sell everything for more than other stores. Also if you inclined to order Metabo or other tools that you can't find in the USA, there is a online tools company called "toolstop.com". I believe they are out of Scotland and they ship to the USA. I ordered the Metabo cordless miter saw when it came out through them and they shipped it from Scotland to Huntington Beach California in 4 days for about $45. Simply amazing seeing how I have ordered tools from 1 state away that took longer.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

I have a 5" Fein, but I want to get a Metabo 4.5" or two.

Hmmm, a 4" Makita, a 4.5" DeWalt, a 4.5" Bosch, and a 5" Fein. I'm beginning to think I may have a grinder problem...

• Like 4