Metabo Discontinued from Lowes???

Marcv76

2 minutes ago, BK13 said:

I have a 5" Fein, but I want to get a Metabo 4.5" or two.

Hmmm, a 4" Makita, a 4.5" DeWalt, a 4.5" Bosch, and a 5" Fein. I'm beginning to think I may have a grinder problem...

You won't have a dirty metal problem though!

That's because you've not been exposed to them. Someone in Europe might say the same thing about Dewalt or Milwaukee. Interestingly, all three brands were founded in the same year. Metabo is high-quality German-manufactured gear, which is more than Dewalt or Milwaukee can claim.

My point being, if you'd been exposed to the Metabo name (and products) as much as you had the American brands, you wouldn't say something like this...

That's how it is anywhere you go, if a name sounds foreign to you somewhere you're new to, but to the residents, it's a household name, Hugh is right too tho. Metabo always sounded weird and foreign, until the name became more recognized as quality and a worthy investment. But your average consumer over here in the states doesn't recognize it, they think what Hugh does and end of story. But a better marketing approach as some mentioned here would certainly been helpful, for sure

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

On 3/6/2016 at 7:57 PM, dwain said:

That's because you've not been exposed to them. Someone in Europe might say the same thing about Dewalt or Milwaukee. Interestingly, all three brands were founded in the same year. Metabo is high-quality German-manufactured gear, which is more than Dewalt or Milwaukee can claim.

My point being, if you'd been exposed to the Metabo name (and products) as much as you had the American brands, you wouldn't say something like this...

You can say the same about Dolmar chainsaws.  Everyone around here has Sthil chainsaws and swear by them.  When they see my Dolmar chainsaw they look down at it until I fire it up.  When looking for a new chainsaw I checked a forum for arborist's and found that many raved about Dolmar's.  So I got one and I'm glad I did.  It's a light, well balanced speed demon with good vibration damping made by a quality German company that is not well known in these woods.

• Like 1

yep. people can judge a brand by the sound of the name if they want to, but it doesn't make them right. It often make a fool out of them. 

So true, but what can you do. I just sigh and move on, no use trying to persuade someone so close minded.

I just recently heard of Triton power tools from Rockler, and I know nothing about them, but I'm not dismissing them as a useful brand, for all I know, they could make great woodworking tools.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

you will be very hard pressed to find a better router for table mounting than the Triton models :) I have one in my shed and would never go back. I bought their spindle sander too, and like it. But not all their tools are wonderful...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dwain said:

that unit does look awesome. I get very jealous sometimes, I wish we had Ridgid, Porter Cable, Delta etc. here in Oz.

Ya it is funny why some are here you cant get and some are there we cant get....

9 hours ago, BK13 said:

Hmmm, a 4" Makita, a 4.5" DeWalt, a 4.5" Bosch, and a 5" Fein. I'm beginning to think I may have a grinder problem...

Hmmm, one could make that argument. Now a 6" Metabo, no one would call you crazy for wanting that...

You can't really go wrong with any of the major brands guys. Metabo like all other companies make some tools and parts in China and some in Germany. Here in oz Makita get a range of tools made in China just to stock in our Bunnings stores (equilivent to your HD or Lowe's) so they can compete on price with some of the DIY brands.

To me I don't care what a tool sounds like, it's all about how it performs in the field. Hell paint it pink and call it the "Rainbow 2000", as long as it drives a 3" screw into HWD I'm happy :)

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, james10million said:

You can't really go wrong with any of the major brands guys. Metabo like all other companies make some tools and parts in China and some in Germany. Here in oz Makita get a range of tools made in China just to stock in our Bunnings stores (equilivent to your HD or Lowe's) so they can compete on price with some of the DIY brands.

To me I don't care what a tool sounds like, it's all about how it performs in the field. Hell paint it pink and call it the "Rainbow 2000", as long as it drives a 3" screw into HWD I'm happy :)

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

No you really can't with the major brands anymore really.

• Like 1

So I went Metabo Crazy and started ordering tools. I'm getting the 1/2" brushless impact wrench from amazon with a 2 day delivery. I ordered the 18v miter saw and it was supposed to arrive at Lowes yesterday and low and behold it wasn't on their shipment and they don't know where it is. Lastly I ordered their brushless angle grinder form Metabo CPO and I will be lucky if it begins to ship from the factory by the end of this week which would make it delivered sometime next week. Matabo definitely has a distribution problem here. I have never waited so long for tools to arrive once ordered as well as having a difficult time finding the tools i was looking for. I know the quality of them so I don't mind waiting but once again the average person will say forget that and just go buy something off the shelf. 

So I went Metabo Crazy and started ordering tools. I'm getting the 1/2" brushless impact wrench from amazon with a 2 day delivery. I ordered the 18v miter saw and it was supposed to arrive at Lowes yesterday and low and behold it wasn't on their shipment and they don't know where it is. Lastly I ordered their brushless angle grinder form Metabo CPO and I will be lucky if it begins to ship from the factory by the end of this week which would make it delivered sometime next week. Matabo definitely has a distribution problem here. I have never waited so long for tools to arrive once ordered as well as having a difficult time finding the tools i was looking for. I know the quality of them so I don't mind waiting but once again the average person will say forget that and just go buy something off the shelf. 

Two things: super jealous. And the problem is that none of those places are the best distributors. If the grinder you are referencing is the 115 quick, the USA division of Metabo won't have the overseas shipment until March 15 at the earliest. Or at least that's what they told me.

On 3/6/2016 at 1:57 AM, dwain said:

Well most people in Europe ( Maybe exception germany ) think of Metabo as ' Meh ' =p

Metabo, Makita , Dewalt, Bosh.  It's all thesame.

That sentiment that Metabo is some Hilti Like better quality tool then the other big names is something thats accepted in America perhaps but here in Europe it's just plain old Metabo.  Those tools die all thesame and ( can only speak for belgium ) service sucks

I don't have a ton of experience with them but they seem to me to be better quality than the "big 3" tools. I really wanted a cordless miter saw and I like theirs the best. The Dewalt is good but only cuts 8" and I don't like the 4 rail design of the Makita or having to use 2 batteries. Also I like that x3 torque attachment that makes their hammer drill have up to 3000 torque. The circular saw and recipricating saw seem average but they have a good feel in my hand. As far as everything I have read you would be hard pressed to find a better angle grinder and their 1/2 impact wrench has crazy power for its size with 11 speeds. If you want the Best in every category you have to have 6 battery platforms because every manufacturer has their tool standouts. For me Metabo just feels good in my hands, their motors have a refined sound and feel to them and their battery technology seems to be the best right now. 

Ok I just priced out the x3 torque attachment that makes their brushless hammer drill get up to 3000 lbs of torque through gearing. The youtube video stated it would be just under $200, however I just got a quote for $483.56. So it went from a attachment that I don't need but would get,  to something that I would only purchase if I really need it and I don't see that as happening. 

Stercorarius: close to 3000 in-lbs torque

ok so the latest in my personal Metabo saga. I went to Lowes to find out why my cordless Miter Saw wasn't on the shipment. Well it turns out that Metabo has already decided to stop making the 18v miter saw for the North American Market. I called their customer service to confirm this and told them that they did such a bad job advertising it that no one knew it existed until they had already discontinued it. I have to be honest that this leaves a really bad taste in my mouth with Metabo now. I don't want to purchase their other tools and have them discontinue them and not be able to get parts for them in the future. Their company seems to be the equivalent of the contractor that does awesome work but never answers his phone or forgets to show up sometimes so you never hire him again. Im am really trying to make them my tool platform and they are doing everything possible to make sure that doesn't happen. 

• Like 1