Knife sharpening

Conductor562

As the regulars know, I'm kinda into pocket knives. I'm also particular about my knife being sharp. Nothing makes me happier than when someone borrows my knife and says "Damn man, that's sharp", it's something I sort of pride myself on. I use a Lansky diamond set with an additional sapphire finishing stone I ordered extra. How do you guys do it?

• Like 1

Wet stones, usually, Arkansas stones in particular, they are usually out on my bench for plane blades, chisels and such. although I do keep a plate of glass and some sand paper around, to use the "scary sharp" method . I do like my gadgets though, especially for serrated edges, and when I want to go insanely sharp, puts that mirrored finish on that edge, gets them so sharp it is like working with razor blades. I don't lend them to friends afterwards, they usually end up hurting themselves.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I actually use that same exact set and love it!! I also do it old school with a sharpening stone and take my time and I have had great results with both methods. Dont waste your time with automatic sharpeners they will just kill your edge in the long run

• 8 months later...

If you really want to investigate the fine edge of sharpening & honing I highly recommend the web site of a guy in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Whether its a knife blade, a chisel, or a plane iron, Brent Beach can show you how to put a fine edge on a fine edge.

http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/user/Brentssharpening

If you really want to investigate the fine edge of sharpening & honing I highly recommend the web site of a guy in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Whether its a knife blade, a chisel, or a plane iron, Brent Beach can show you how to put a fine edge on a fine edge.

http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/user/Brentssharpening

Awesome links! Knife sharpening is a lost art. If you can't shave with it you might as well leave it in the drawer.

• 2 months later...

I personally prefer a Norelco.

As for sharpening pocket and kitchen knives, it doesn't take much to sharpen one (to the ability of the steel in the blade to take and hold an edge) with a $16 Smith double sided diamond hone. The trick is not to make the kitchen knives so sharp my wife cuts herself.

• 1 month later...

Ive been using a 2 sided wet stone since i got my first knife in cub scouts. My father took me down to the boiler room and showed me how to get tthat knife sharp as a razor. The he said he would kill me if he ever caught me using it like a toy.

• 3 weeks later...

Wet stones, usually, Arkansas stones in particular, they are usually out on my bench for plane blades, chisels and such. although I do keep a plate of glass and some sand paper around, to use the "scary sharp" method . I do like my gadgets though, especially for serrated edges, and when I want to go insanely sharp, puts that mirrored finish on that edge, gets them so sharp it is like working with razor blades. I don't lend them to friends afterwards, they usually end up hurting themselves.

Like Dan...lol

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an 'old codger' trick.

It may sound a bit crude but, in a pinch, you can usually find a way to improve a less than sharp edge in the average kitchen cabinet. Even when you can't find the most basic of knife sharpening tools you can use the unglazed bottom ring of a dinner plate or coffee mug to at least improve a distressed edge. Later, you can get your knife together with one of the more preferred methods.

Here is an 'old codger' trick.

It may sound a bit crude but, in a pinch, you can usually find a way to improve a less than sharp edge in the average kitchen cabinet. Even when you can't find the most basic of knife sharpening tools you can use the unglazed bottom ring of a dinner plate or coffee mug to at least improve a distressed edge. Later, you can get your knife together with one of the more preferred methods.

Never heard of that b4... neat...

Here's what I use. A 99cent sharpener ... ok so far, definitely need to find a better system though ...