Good set of nut drivers.

Stercorarius

I'm looking for a quality se t of 1/4" hex drive nut drivers for an impact driver. They don't necessarily need to be impact rated, but that would be a plus. Magnetic vs. Conventional isn't a big deal. What I want is a set that has to come in a decent permanent case and include a broad range of both metric and standard sizes. These will mostly be used for hose clamps and assorted other low torque fasteners.

What do you guys recommend for magnetic sets? A few of my cheap set have lost their magnets on the most used sizes. I have a few Dewalt that are good quality, but I don't have a full set.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

For HVAC work, we go through 1/4" nut drivers like water, and Malco or Dewalt are the favorites here. Milwaukee looked promising, but I go back to Dewalt when they started to pop off easier and wear out quicker. This was using impacts.

• Like 1

I used to like Jimbo too... haha. I have been really please with my dewalt bits, I just wondered what others are using. I use the 1/4" the most for my metal roof screws and self tapping screws. I also use the 5/16" for self tapping screws and I believe the timber lok lags I used are 5/16" as well. If I need another size nut driver I use a hex to nut driver adapter and a socket.

33 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

I'm running out of bubbles to bust, but they don't come in a case either lol, but one of them has a red ring!

You can get a set of drivers with 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 nut drivers in a case, but I don't think Milwaukee make any other sizes, i could be wrong

SL_48-32-4408.jpg

From Milwaukee's Website

Yeah I thought that's what you meant, you can get the three nut drivers in a case, just not a full blown set like the Tektons, which are more for automotive work, which is what @Stercorarius is looking for, and I rarely need anything bigger than 3/8" drivers, that's the largest self tappers I use on a regular basis. But it would be good to have a nice set. I think for me, magnetic would be a requirement because of things I work on sometimes need the fastener to stay with me and not get lost down a piece of ductwork if I didn't have a magnet..... 

• Like 1

You can get a set of drivers with 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 nut drivers in a case, but I don't think Milwaukee make any other sizes, i could be wrong

When he said shockwave I pictured them in a Milwaukee red case like the bits come in.

032cacf6eaa6b0089383cf71778e4368.jpg

Ip guess you can, forgot you can get the 4 in the bit set, the ones I bought just came in a blister pack. They don't have a full set or come in a holder like the Tekton set does.

• Like 2

Nice find, I would prefer them full size though (the five piece set), because it can be a pain to pull those little guys out of the adapter if they have a real good grip and they don't want to let loose. I also don't have to have a separate adapter to hold the bits in, they can just go in the impact. Also, there are times when I use the shorter guys, that after enough use, they will pull out of the adapter if they get stuck on the fastener, that's another reason I like the full length shaft to go directly into my impact.

Looks like I should pick up that 45 piece set. I could use a few impact rated drill bits too.  I have a Kobalt impact bit set, but the rest of mine are not impact rated.  I have yet to buy any Milwaukee bits though since we have a Lowes in town and the closest HD is 35 min in either direction. We did just get a Family Farm and Home store that I saw Milwaukee bits in. I assumed they would be over priced compared to HD or Amazon so I didn't really look too hard at them.

Nice find, I would prefer them full size though (the five piece set), because it can be a pain to pull those little guys out of the adapter if they have a real good grip and they don't want to let loose. I also don't have to have a separate adapter to hold the bits in, they can just go in the impact. Also, there are times when I use the shorter guys, that after enough use, they will pull out of the adapter if they get stuck on the fastener, that's another reason I like the full length shaft to go directly into my impact.

I use the little guys, don't own the longer ones because I wanted the five sizes.

Personally is recommend a 1/4 hex to square adapter so you can use sockets you already own and that way you can use deep sockets too. That's what I do with my impact driver

I have a hard time finding smaller skze impact sockets, what smaller sizes you use?

Looks like I should pick up that 45 piece set. I could use a few impact rated drill bits too.  I have a Kobalt impact bit set, but the rest of mine are not impact rated.  I have yet to buy any Milwaukee bits though since we have a Lowes in town and the closest HD is 35 min in either direction. We did just get a Family Farm and Home store that I saw Milwaukee bits in. I assumed they would be over priced compared to HD or Amazon so I didn't really look too hard at them.

It's a nice set but I don't think it's worth the regular price of 40 bucks, 15 dollars is about all it's worth IMO.

• Like 1

I don't think you can beat the Tekton set on price and quality.

If you don't mind the pricing, I REALLY like my Wera nut driver bits. When you feel the weight comparison vs other nut driver bits you'll understand the pricing. I only needed a couple and tacked it onto an order I was already placing so it wasn't a problem.

I don't think you can beat the Tekton set on price and quality.

If you don't mind the pricing, I REALLY like my Wera nut driver bits. When you feel the weight comparison vs other nut driver bits you'll understand the pricing. I only needed a couple and tacked it onto an order I was already placing so it wasn't a problem.

But 40 bucks regular price? I could see 25, maybe 30 but 40?? The case could be a better quality plastic for that

• Like 1