Tape 4 Water Heater Insulation Jacket

redmed

Guy's I opened the insulation jacket on my water heater to get the model number and now the tape holding the insulation jacket together will not hold the jacket together for more than a few hours.  I tried using duct tape but it only holds the jacket closed for a day at most.  The tape that came with the jacket was white and held the jacket together for 14 years.  Does anybody know what kind of tape will hold like the original tape?

Spray with 3m super 77 adhesive first, let it tack up then use the foil tape... in time, the tape will pull away because of the age of the insulation wrap, dirt build up etc if the spray adhesive isn't used

Honestly, id just throw that jacket away.

What you doing with your water heater?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Spray with 3m super 77 adhesive first, let it tack up then use the foil tape... in time, the tape will pull away because of the age of the insulation wrap, dirt build up etc if the spray adhesive isn't used

Honestly, id just throw that jacket away.

What you doing with your water heater?

My water heater is 16 years old.  When I heard that new government regulations where coming into effect (last year?) that would change the physical size of water heaters I decided to get a identical water heater as I currently have while it was still available.  I opened the insulation jacket to get the model number and ever since I have not been able to get tape to hold the insulation jacket closed for very long.  I'll use the 3m super 77 adhesive and foil tape, thanks.  For now the new water heater is still sitting in the box.  When the old water heater rusts through and starts leaking I'm hoping to be able to swap the new water heater in with minimal modifications.

I learned about changing anode rods after the current water (A O Smith) was about ten years old.  I tried to remove the old anode rod but could not get it loose using a breaker bar and a friend holding the water heater.  So I gave up and the old anode rod is still in the tank.  When I install the new water heater I plan to replace the anode rod every few years and I'm hoping my Milwaukee M18 impact will pop the anode rod off with ease.  I figure the old water heater is pretty much toast now that it's 16+ years old anode rod is probably non-existent.  Or should I replace the anode rod in the old water heater?  I read that the spray in lining in water heaters is sometimes good and sometimes not so good.  The lining in my old water heater must be pretty good to last 16 years.

If its that old, you're doing pretty good, may be best to not touch anuthwon it!

It seems anymore, the conventional water heaters are about junk, they wear out so stinkin fast, so leave that until it craps. The anode rod hasnt been changed since, probably whatever damage has been done, its too late to do anything about, so wont help replacing it at this point.

Yes we noticed its more difficult to get some water heaters squeezed into spots since the change came into effect last year. You have a smart idea getting an exact replacement, makes It easier to swap out when the time comes, good thinking. Once you put your new water heater in, you can check the anode rod every year maybe to see if its going bad, and replace as needed, usually you can get different lengths to last different amounts of time.

Over here in NorCal it doesnt get that cold in winter maybe in the 20's here and there,but mostly 30's and 40's in the sacramento valley area. I dont bother with an insulation jacket on mine. I know michigan is quite different winter temp wise.

I suppose in all reality that would depend where your water heater is located. if its in your garage or something like that,not sure id worry about it unless its for code reasons.

I second the foil tape and 3m super 77 trick,3M spray adhesive is something everyone should have at least one can of in their garage,its great stuff we use it at work.

• Like 1

I'll just keep my fingers crossed and wait for the water heater to make the next move.  I just wish they would spray that tank lining into air compressor tanks.  My air compressor tank sprung a leak.  Wish I could wrap that foil tape and 3M adhesive around the air compressor tank.  Replacement tanks are expensive.

I'll just keep my fingers crossed and wait for the water heater to make the next move.  I just wish they would spray that tank lining into air compressor tanks.  My air compressor tank sprung a leak.  Wish I could wrap that foil tape and 3M adhesive around the air compressor tank.  Replacement tanks are expensive.

They do make receiver tanks with a lining inside actually, been awhile since I looked into one, but if memory serves right, they are available.