Someone stole a toolbox full of one-key tools

Milwaukee_man_stan

A buddy from mine from Iowa had their toolbox full of One-Key tools stolen. As he reported his tools missing they were immediately located, as he drove to the location which the tools were at, a big white van drove out of the driveway and the app was locating them in the van, He wrote the license plate # down and reported it to the police and they arrested the man and my buddy got his 2,000$ tool box full of tools back.

This definitely tells us the getting the milwaukee one-key app is worth getting, as luckily the man next door who was neighbors with the stolen tools had downloaded the app about a month ago.

• Like 5

I don't have any one key tools yet and don't plan on buying them unless I get a better deal than the regular tools. I do have the app for tracking tools purchase dates for any warranty work, and so hopefully my app could help locate stolen tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have not used the technology but dont understand how this scenario worked.  Its my understanding it's a Bluetooth connection and the app is required.  So I understand how they were able to figure out it was in the white van as they were within a couple hundred feet, but don't understand how they got to the location where the van was unless the thieves installed the app on their phone and had the tools connected.

Like I said, I have not used it, so maybe someone can educate me :)

I have not used the technology but dont understand how this scenario worked.  Its my understanding it's a Bluetooth connection and the app is required.  So I understand how they were able to figure out it was in the white van as they were within a couple hundred feet, but don't understand how they got to the location where the van was unless the thieves installed the app on their phone and had the tools connected.

Like I said, I have not used it, so maybe someone can educate me [emoji4]

As I read it the neighbor of the thief had the app, leading them to the van.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, B_riceL said:

As I read it the neighbor of the thief had the app, leading them to the van.

Ah, totally missed that. I assume you have to pair the tools to the phone?  So the neighbor had stuff paired that do not belong or maybe Milwaukee has open pairing

Thanks !

• Like 1

Ah, totally missed that. I assume you have to pair the tools to the phone?  So the neighbor had stuff paired that do not belong or maybe Milwaukee has open pairing

Thanks !

I haven't used the tracking personally so this could be slightly wrong but this is what I know from reading other posts on this site.
You pair your tool to your phone, if you report it missing other apps/phones start looking for it. If it's within range of their phones the app will only notify your phone of the location and you can go track it down/ report it to the police. I don't think it notifies the owner of the phone that finds it, just the owner of the tool.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Claeg said:

That said you could use the Ticks to locate any of your tools one-key or not. Or dog if attached to the collar. I'll stick one of the ticks in my kids shoe when we go to tailgating as well.

How would that work?

Still requires crowd sharing bluetooth right?

1 hour ago, Milwaukee_man_stan said:

A buddy from mine from Iowa had their toolbox full of One-Key tools stolen. As he reported his tools missing they were immediately located, as he drove to the location which the tools were at, a big white van drove out of the driveway and the app was locating them in the van, He wrote the license plate # down and reported it to the police and they arrested the man and my buddy got his 2,000$ tool box full of tools back.

This definitely tells us the getting the milwaukee one-key app is worth getting, as luckily the man next door who was neighbors with the stolen tools had downloaded the app about a month ago.

Glad your buddy got his tools back sick of hearing scums stealing people's tools

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

How would that work?

Still requires crowd sharing bluetooth right?

I said that half jokingly, but in theory it would work. Milwaukee states you can put them on non-Milwaukee items. Check the example pic out

fda35c1b-3181-4c0a-9f3d-ca5b1cf1ab61_100

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Claeg said:

I said that half jokingly, but in theory it would work. Milwaukee states you can put them on non-Milwaukee items.

LOL, OK.

Well it needs some type of connectivity since its not self contained cellular. So the cheap and easy way to do that is with bluetooth.

I fly drones as well and some of the guys put bluetooth tracking tags on them but does not work well as not enough people run the app and distance is so limited if you lose it in the woods..  I fly 3 miles away from takeoff spot often so have to use something different.

3 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

LOL, OK.

Well it needs some type of connectivity since its not self contained cellular. So the cheap and easy way to do that is with bluetooth.

I fly drones as well and some of the guys put bluetooth tracking tags on them but does not work well as not enough people run the app and distance is so limited if you lose it in the woods..  I fly 3 miles away from takeoff spot often so have to use something different.

Blue tooth range is supposed to be up to 100 yards if sufficiently powered. However that is highly subject to a ton of conditions. It may work out at that length outdoors. I would consider going with some sort of GPS device. possibly https://www.amazon.com/Trackimo-TRKM002-GPS-Tracker-Locator/dp/B01CIDUK1U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487265108&sr=8-2&keywords=trackimo\

That said, for $30 the tick might be worth a shot. If you don't find it good enough for the drone then slap it on a tool.

This is what I am using.

The thing with RM tag on drone is the transmitter.

Good for 2 miles. All I need to do is drive around and get a fix and can go from there as it shows direction and strength.

They have cellular devices out but dont want to pay for a monthly service for something that does not get used 5 months out of the year.

20170216_112143.jpg

• Like 3

The dad jokes abound haha.

I think it's 100 feet, not 100 yards, just thought I'd clarify 

That's great the tools were recovered, maybe, just maybe, the two apps from dewalt and milwaukee can be utilized together to create a larger mapping of users to be able to locate either brand of tool, upping the chances for both brands to be recovered if this were to happen elsewhere

Not holding my breath, though

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KnarlyCarl said:

The dad jokes abound haha.

I think it's 100 feet, not 100 yards, just thought I'd clarify 

That's great the tools were recovered, maybe, just maybe, the two apps from dewalt and milwaukee can be utilized together to create a larger mapping of users to be able to locate either brand of tool, upping the chances for both brands to be recovered if this were to happen elsewhere

Not holding my breath, though

Wouldn't that be awesome if all the tool brands went into a collaboration like that?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Craigh9916 said:

After reading this I've downloaded the one key app to help others maybe track there tools

Great! I'd like to think it helps, even if we're the minority. I would like to think we could integrate this into more items than just tools. Vehicles, or retail stores that can use crowd sourcing to locate an item that was reported stolen...