Milwaukee vs DeWalt....

RickyMcGrath

1 hour ago, Bremon said:

Well you gave them more than a fair shot wild, they should tighten up their QC and software if they want retention from users, otherwise, Dewalt gets a conquest sale. We shouldn't have to bend over backwards for manufacturers, they should do that for us. 

This.

Good call. I'm very aware of where my patience runs out at, and so far, it's been very much trouble free with Milwaukee. I don't like everything from them, mind you. 

There was a brand of hand tools I was buying but soon enough they started showing their true garbage colors so i literally threw them in the scrap pile. I didn't care if they had a good warranty

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

There was a brand of hand tools I was buying but soon enough they started showing their true garbage colors so i literally threw them in the scrap pile. I didn't care if they had a good warranty

...yea, we've all owned Craftsman. 

641.jpg?new=1

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

This.

Good call. I'm very aware of where my patience runs out at, and so far, it's been very much trouble free with Milwaukee. I don't like everything from them, mind you. 

Exactly. All of my Milwaukee (power) tools have been great thus far, and I make sure to watch reviews and gather opinions to avoid the duds. I've used warranty once (a sweater) and it was a great experience. If I had the initial experience wild had, I'd have yellow or teal at this point. 

True story, last thing I bought from them at Sears, was like a 180 piece set 3 ratchets tons of sockets when I first started working construction in 2007...got the set out day after I bought it all shiny and new, grabbed the smallest ratchet and put my socket on to loosen the screw on a large fernco. Hardly a demanding task.

Went through all three of those ratchets before I got all 4 screws loose on a fockin' fernco. Never seen anything like it. First one just spun free after the 3rd stroke, wouldn't engage anymore, second one wouldn't turn from tighten to loosen even with a pair of plyers, and the third and largest of the 3 was skipping teeth, it would catch, spin, catch, spin, unless I was holding the dial in place to keep it engaged. 

I proceeded to lose my shit and pepper the treeline with the entire kit. And before someone says I could have taken it back, I know...but it became a matter of principle at that point. It had to be destroyed and returned to the earth from which it came like the ring to the fires of Mordor. 

Never. Again. I went out and bought a standard and metric set of deep sockets by Husky for chump change in comparison and have managed to break 1 (3/4" on a nut I later saw was spot welded, don't judge me) with the impact gun in 9 years. 

• Like 2

Toolaholic on Instagram says 2-packs of FlexVolt will be $200 CAD. If that's the case, then browsing today's prices, makes that $20 more than a 2-pack of XR 5.0 and $20-25 LESS than a 2-pack of M18 5.0. If that's the case and he isn't just ball-parking, and M18 prices don't come down I'll have choice words for Team Red on where to go and how to get there. Just a month ago it was $199 for 2x5.0. Hopefully Dewalt comes in hard on pricing to hit a home run from the word go so other battery prices can start dropping. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bremon said:

Toolaholic on Instagram says 2-packs of FlexVolt will be $200 CAD. If that's the case, then browsing today's prices, makes that $20 more than a 2-pack of XR 5.0 and $20-25 LESS than a 2-pack of M18 5.0. If that's the case and he isn't just ball-parking, and M18 prices don't come down I'll have choice words for Team Red on where to go and how to get there. Just a month ago it was $199 for 2x5.0. Hopefully Dewalt comes in hard on pricing to hit a home run from the word go so other battery prices can start dropping. 

He has to be misinformed, that is the USD not CAD pricing. It would undermine the entire industry including themselves. 

• Like 1

On July 25, 2016 at 9:33 PM, Hugh Jass said:

True story, last thing I bought from them at Sears, was like a 180 piece set 3 ratchets tons of sockets when I first started working construction in 2007...got the set out day after I bought it all shiny and new, grabbed the smallest ratchet and put my socket on to loosen the screw on a large fernco. Hardly a demanding task.

Went through all three of those ratchets before I got all 4 screws loose on a fockin' fernco. Never seen anything like it. First one just spun free after the 3rd stroke, wouldn't engage anymore, second one wouldn't turn from tighten to loosen even with a pair of plyers, and the third and largest of the 3 was skipping teeth, it would catch, spin, catch, spin, unless I was holding the dial in place to keep it engaged. 

I proceeded to lose my shit and pepper the treeline with the entire kit. And before someone says I could have taken it back, I know...but it became a matter of principle at that point. It had to be destroyed and returned to the earth from which it came like the ring to the fires of Mordor. 

Never. Again. I went out and bought a standard and metric set of deep sockets by Husky for chump change in comparison and have managed to break 1 (3/4" on a nut I later saw was spot welded, don't judge me) with the impact gun in 9 years. 

Try attempting to put heads on an engine and the only ratchet at hand was a 3/8 craftsman ratchet. My dad and I were putting an engine together for one of his friends at his place and we made the mistake of not bringing some of our tools down there. That was a massive mistake. That thing would constantly skip teeth and it drove me insane. I don't understand how they can make a ratchet that bad. Even the harbor freight ratchets I have are a joy to use compared to them.

Checked out another Canadian site. Pre-order is up for FlexVolt. $150 for one, $230 for a pair. Still excellent pricing. Same site has M18 5.0 for $110, $200 for a pair. Excellent prices by my standards for FlexVolt. Pre-order price for the miter with 2 batteries and double charger $1099 CAD. Ooooof. Still excited though. 

11 minutes ago, Bremon said:

Checked out another Canadian site. Pre-order is up for FlexVolt. $150 for one, $230 for a pair. Still excellent pricing. Same site has M18 5.0 for $110, $200 for a pair. Excellent prices by my standards for FlexVolt. Pre-order price for the miter with 2 batteries and double charger $1099 CAD. Ooooof. Still excited though. 

Man I need to start selling tools in Canada got the Dewalt Flexvolt Miter for 679 full kit on the CPO 4th of July sale

DR if you would like to be my official tool supplier I would not complain haha. Bare tool grinder, recip and circ saw $250 CAD. Very competitive with M18 Fuel. Extra $150 CAD for a battery and charger. SBD will have more of my money before I know it. It will be tough not to wait for the 9.0s though. Stud/Joist drill almost 10% cheaper than Super Hawg. 

I think they counted on having a lot more loyalty from XRP owners and thought they would retain the majority regardless, which clearly did not happen. Milwaukee has been in high gear for years, and only now seem to be resting on their laurels a bit. I'm happy to see Dewalt firing on all cylinders. Competition improves the breed, and when I first invested in M18 Fuel it was great performance and great value. The value part of the equation is getting thrown out the window. Happy to see others willing to light a fire under Big Red's asses.

The Dewalt XRP switch over was a huge fail for Dewalt, they should have had an adapter in the works fairly soon after the 20v launch. I know Dewalt wanted to sell new tools giving the used the best experience, but for some people having a whole line of tools obsoleted was a bit much for them. 2 things they need cheaper XRP lithium batteries or the adapter and they did neither. The Dewalt change over gave Milwaukee a huge break in pumping up their brand and they knew it, so they pushed prices and promotions hard back then. Makita and Bosch were around but didn't seem to be doing too much either Makita had brushless tools but they were not class leading, and Makita had a few slow years of new product. Bosch is just on a whole other time line on new products they make nice stuff, but don't expect the latest and greatest from them.

Yep its harder to defend Milwaukee's pricing lately. The radius light while cool is stupidly expensive $299 USD is kinda crazy it should be 200 dollars to be honest.

The One Key version is $450 CAD. Not that many years ago when I had a few roommates and we all worked construction that was a month's worth of rent. For a light. Not a tool that saves your arms/ wrists/ back in the long term, and gets work done faster to make you more money... a light. If they keep going down this road, I'll be happy to switch my red budget to yellow instead. 

I would be curious to see the numbers though on how much the light costs them to build including the R&D and marketing. Dewalt might lower prices for awhile but everyone plays that buy in cheap but raise prices down the road.

Yep, but the lights are especially laughable. Great products but the pricing is insulting. Tool prices fluctuate plenty, it's the battery prices Milwaukee is hawking around here that are particularly egregious. I'm happy to see Dewalt pricing 60v Max tools close to 20v, since they're basically 20v Max tools with different wiring lol. My main issue with M18 is selling me a 10 cell battery for just a touch less than Dewalt wants to sell me a 15 cell battery. I have to remind myself that the 2.0/6.0 FlexVolt are the same cells as 20v Max/M18 and not the new bigger cells their 3.0/9.0 will use. M18 batteries are well-built rugged beasts though, I will give them that. 

• Like 1

The thing about Milwaukee though they have tons of promos, I always get emails for free tools or batteries with fuel kits, so you spend 399 on the flag ship drill and impact but you can get a free 3/8" impact wrench valued at 150ish or look at their one key promo you could get the 7 1/4" circ saw valued at 229 for free so those aggressive promotions definitely help justify the cost of the bigger kits

• Like 1

I don't get that though you could get rid of a tool that weights so much more than the current tools, and has run time to last all day. Trades guys really don't like change from what I have seen. I get it learning something new takes time, but the time savings can add up. My friend and a framer that didn't know what an sds drill was he though drilling into cinder block was going to be a huge issue.

• Like 3

On 7/25/2016 at 6:08 PM, wildroamer said:

Nope, I did not. I was set to just overlook the One Key part of the equation, but then the drill up and quit working entirely. That was last straw, sent the kit back and went yellow.

Yeah I gave up on milwaukee when they wouldn't warranty 3 co-workers fuel drills because they were "Over worked" Mind they've only really used the damn things medium duty at residential job sites, they have hole hawgs for heavy duty stuff.

Thus far, I've had suberb warranty from dewalt, they've sent replacements for batteries and told me to just recycle the old ones.(I think this is new, they used to make me send in old batteries.) I've turned over to yellow and green. I know lots of people love milwaukee tools I'm just tired of them telling me/us that the reason they're not warrantying the tools is that its normal wear and tear or they're over worked after 6 months of normal use.

• Like 2

Just now, Bremon said:

Never heard of such a thing. Pretty pathetic on Milwaukee's part. The one experience I have with warranty with Mikwaukee was flawless. 

Same here that totally blows banana chunks pancing, I've only ever used their eservice on the website, fill out a form, send it in, they repair/replace and send it back, all on their dime, you don't pay anything except the printer ink for the shipping label

• Like 2