Jump to content
  • Cresent.jpg

DaveJr.

Roofing Project

Recommended Posts

Well as some of you may remember, my dad and I were planning on putting a new roof on at our hunting camp. 8 square of shingles, 5 rolls of 30# felt paper and about 3,000 nails later, we completed it.  After this project, I definitely give roofers a lot more credit! This was a VERY SIMPLE roof and for a first timer it was a lot of work. Don't know if I would ever do another roof without an extra set of hands....or maybe two! But for my dad and I, it went pretty smoothly. It took us just over two days without rushing. We took our time and it all panned out according to plan. Here are the pics....

 

Oh and a big +1 to the porter cable roofing nailer, not a single misfeed or jam in 3,000 nails!....and who ever invented those shingle removers is a genious!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_3389.jpg

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3383.jpg

IMG_3380.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

IMG_3388.jpg

IMG_3378.jpg

IMG_3376.JPG

IMG_3375.jpg

IMG_3374.JPG

IMG_3373.JPG

IMG_3392.JPG

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3402.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave .....

if you are not a roofer ... You are now !!

great great job !!!!!!!

looks awesome 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job!

 

When I did my 24x24 garage It took us about 2 days to strip and replace. I was spent afterwords, very physical job. I have lots of respect for roofers that do it full time.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work,Ive helped several friends reroof their house,and most recently my own. It is alot of work,especially in hot climates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah this brings back the memories, this is what I grew up on, cute little roof. If you ever plan on doing a bigger one, or just another one by yourself, get a Roofers Buggy, or what the boys in Mechanicsburg PA now call the Equiptor 4000. If you can find a place to rent, it is worth its weight in gold, trust me, I used one for every job possible, even if it wasn't necessary lol

>

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks Aces! Hats off to all the roofers out there, there isn't enough salary you could pay me to do that type of work. My buddy back home, has a roofing company, took him many years to get dependable and dedicated crews.  Roofing has to be one of the toughest jobs a person could have. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job on the roof. What did it end up costing you? Did you ever get a quote on the job just to see what you saved on doing it yourself? Nice job.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a picture of the last roof I did my house. It was 6 years ago, my son and myself. We did a section a day so it took us 4 days. After we finished I said never again and I have stuck to my word. I have done many a roof but this one wore me out.

 

house_zps0asxmpbz.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks like a nightmare regopit to do with those steep pitches. A gable roof with a moderate pitch isn't that bad especially if you have a lift to get the shingles up near the roof. It gets rough the moment with steep pitches and 2 stores fuck that shit!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ground around the house is flat, no mature landscaping immediately surrounding the house, no white siding to scuff up, small sections, looks like a nice project.

I really didn't mind doing it when I did, it was my life growing up, Dad paid me well, I never knew what minimum wage was.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

The ground around the house is flat, no mature landscaping immediately surrounding the house, no white siding to scuff up, small sections, looks like a nice project.

I really didn't mind doing it when I did, it was my life growing up, Dad paid me well, I never knew what minimum wage was.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It really isn't that bad. What made it suck was the 95 degree sun beating down on us all day and hauling the shingles on the roof. Other then that it really wasn't too bad.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks awesome man, that's something I have no desire to ever try myself.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That brings back memories.  I did roofing when I was in college and that was enough. I am now willing to pay someone else to do it and just walk outside every once in awhile and say yeah that looks good guys.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

The ground around the house is flat, no mature landscaping immediately surrounding the house, no white siding to scuff up, small sections, looks like a nice project.

I really didn't mind doing it when I did, it was my life growing up, Dad paid me well, I never knew what minimum wage was.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah, when I worked with my dad doing roofing I never knew what minimum wage was either. Probably how he got away with paying me $20 a day...........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah, when I worked with my dad doing roofing I never knew what minimum wage was either. Probably how he got away with paying me $20 a day...........

Aw that sucks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Aw that sucks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

No it was awesome because I got to skip so many days of school. My parents got so many letters from the elementary school about the number of days I missed. Best time ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like you did a fine job.

Shingling is a hot and dirty job but after it's done your proud at the job everyone has done to make it happen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2016 at 6:56 PM, LarryS said:

Looks like you did a fine job.

Shingling is a hot and dirty job but after it's done your proud at the job everyone has done to make it happen.

Yes they did.

And dangerous too! Slammed a hammer tacker (stapler) into my finger and lost a nail, shot a nail into my thigh(at a glancing angle, thankfully) other accidents, but we all wore harnesses, insurance more or less forced that protocol. My brother and Dad also had a long list of small injuries, deep cuts from knives, and then my dad  fell off a scaffold and broke his tibia. Earlier in his building career he also shot himself twice with a framing nail gun, that was when I was real little and didn't remember the details, one shot him right in the foot, straight into the side, through his shoe, and couple years later, one shot through two fingers on his left hand.  Sucks for those that have had to deal with worse injuries, things can get pretty nasty real quick when dealing with building, and even residential roofing like here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Yes they did.

And dangerous too! Slammed a hammer tacker (stapler) into my finger and lost a nail, shot a nail into my thigh(at a glancing angle, thankfully) other accidents, but we all wore harnesses, insurance more or less forced that protocol. My brother and Dad also had a long list of small injuries, deep cuts from knives, and then my dad  fell off a scaffold and broke his tibia. Earlier in his building career he also shot himself twice with a framing nail gun, that was when I was real little and didn't remember the details, one shot him right in the foot, straight into the side, through his shoe, and couple years later, one shot through two fingers on his left hand.  Sucks for those that have had to deal with worse injuries, things can get pretty nasty real quick when dealing with building, and even residential roofing like here.

Holy crap.

I've roofed a number of roofs but never come close to anything like you are explaining

I've cut myself with the utility knife and smashed my fingers before. 

Once when very young. I was putting metal roofs on and putting a long nail into the four sheet of overlapped steel. I hit my thumb a number of times trying to get that nail though all them sheets of steel and had blood blisters on top of blood blisters. I now have one thumb bigger than the other. LOL

 

I hope that Dave and his Dad had a injury free safe roofing experience.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LarryS said:

Holy crap.

I've roofed a number of roofs but never come close to anything like you are explaining

I've cut myself with the utility knife and smashed my fingers before. 

Once when very young. I was putting metal roofs on and putting a long nail into the four sheet of overlapped steel. I hit my thumb a number of times trying to get that nail though all them sheets of steel and had blood blisters on top of blood blisters. I now have one thumb bigger than the other. LOL

 

I hope that Dave and his Dad had a injury free safe roofing experience.

Yup, we were pretty much injury free other then some aches and pains!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Holy crap.

I've roofed a number of roofs but never come close to anything like you are explaining

I've cut myself with the utility knife and smashed my fingers before. 

Once when very young. I was putting metal roofs on and putting a long nail into the four sheet of overlapped steel. I hit my thumb a number of times trying to get that nail though all them sheets of steel and had blood blisters on top of blood blisters. I now have one thumb bigger than the other. LOL

 

I hope that Dave and his Dad had a injury free safe roofing experience.

Yeah it's always a number game. Doing between 80 and 100 roofing projects in any given year meant something was bound to happen.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Yeah it's always a number game. Doing between 80 and 100 roofing projects in any given year meant something was bound to happen.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've never done that many in a year and I really didn't want to. 

Roofing is a hard job but if that's what they wanted to do, good for them. Someone's got to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Member Statistics

    13,754
    Total Members
    414
    Most Online
    BriBotNC
    Newest Member
    BriBotNC
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...