SDS Plus Bits

slopjock78

So I finally got a new DCH273 ordered, and need some bits for it.  What are peoples recommendations for SDS Plus bits, both for drilling as well as hammering?  I am not going to really need large quantities of any one bit, and would be open to an assortment set of bits.  I have limited concrete drilling experience, so i do not currently really have a "go to" brand for concrete work.  Any brands to stay away from?  My first use will be for 3/16" tapcons, as well as drilling a 1" hole through a 8" concrete foundation wall.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks all

We have some Bosch and some DeWalt.  All work great.  Bosch come in 5 packs, for the smaller bits.  Since those are the ones that break most, I buy the 5 packs.  They last pretty good, depending on who is drilling the hole.

Are you using 3/16" tapcons?  Or drilling a 3/16" hole for 1/4" tapcons.  Either way, it makes a difference on what hole you drill.

We use 1/4" tapcons, but we drill a 3/16" hole.  Tapcon wants you to drill a 5/32" hole.  That may be technically the right thing to do, but it doesn't work out for us.  The hole is just a little small.

We use the 3/16" hole and then use an impact driver to run the tapcons in.  Works great.

Get yourself a chisel bit.  We usually just need the 1 1/2" ones.  We have a smaller one, but rarely use it.  You will find so many things to use it for.

2 days ago, we removed a huge chunk of brick wall.  All we needed was the DeWalt sds and a chisel bit.  And one extra battery.  One battery that didn't have a full charge and then a new one finished it off.

Hilti, then Bosch.

I have DeWalt, Milwaukee, Hilti and Bosch in my van right now. The DeWalt are terrible, but super cheap. The Milwaukee are more expensive and a hair better.
Bosch makes great bits, but for the same price you can Hilti. The Hilti will out cut and out last the others.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thing about Hilti I my area you have to buy through a dealer for tools,accessories...there is no product around  too bad cuz Hilti is damn good ,we use all their stuff even lasers...personally I like Dewalt sdsplus but Bosch bits, probably because it’s easy to get things

We ran Milwaukee and Bosch bits and chisels in the rehab and had good luck with them. One of our guys had been busing harbor fraud bits for years  and said he's had just as good luck with them as Dewalt and Bosch, which are always his go to tools. I'm going to pick up a five pack of bits and a chisel blade next time I'm near the local HF. He also said the HF oscillating tool blades are every bit as good as the dewalt and Porter cable quick changes he used. 

Thanks for the input guys.  I bough a few different bosch bits on amazon to try out.  Also, Bosch seems to be what is available locally the most, so good to hear they are good bits if I need something in a pinch

You’ll be happy with Bosch!

The sad part about using a good bit is that you will hate using the cheap ones.

The DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita and others will work, but they take longer, aren’t as smooth or precise.

I recently had a couple 3/16” DeWalt go for a ride in the garbage because they were making the hole slightly too big. The tips were off. I bought the bulk pack of 10, 3 were bad. For what I paid for 10, I don’t mind throwing out a couple.

The difference with a Hilti bit is the precision and cutting speed. They cut faster, leave a nicer hole and I never worry about my anchors setting properly. You will pay more for a good one, but it’s worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/18/2018 at 3:55 PM, HiltiWpg said:

You’ll be happy with Bosch!

The sad part about using a good bit is that you will hate using the cheap ones.

The DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita and others will work, but they take longer, aren’t as smooth or precise.

I recently had a couple 3/16” DeWalt go for a ride in the garbage because they were making the hole slightly too big. The tips were off. I bought the bulk pack of 10, 3 were bad. For what I paid for 10, I don’t mind throwing out a couple.

The difference with a Hilti bit is the precision and cutting speed. They cut faster, leave a nicer hole and I never worry about my anchors setting properly. You will pay more for a good one, but it’s worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input.  I will get a couple Hilti bits to try out.  I dont do a ton of concrete drilling, but i would like some decent bits for when I do

• Like 1